Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 11:41 pm

Poll: Preferred Genres?
This poll is closed.
Classical
6.77%
9 6.77%
Jazz
4.51%
6 4.51%
Blues
4.51%
6 4.51%
Rock
15.04%
20 15.04%
Metal
9.02%
12 9.02%
Pop
6.02%
8 6.02%
Dance/Club
7.52%
10 7.52%
Ambient
5.26%
7 5.26%
Electronic
9.02%
12 9.02%
New Age
1.50%
2 1.50%
Religious
2.26%
3 2.26%
Opera
2.26%
3 2.26%
Folk
6.77%
9 6.77%
Jingles
0.75%
1 0.75%
Experimental
3.76%
5 3.76%
Reggae
2.26%
3 2.26%
Progressive
8.27%
11 8.27%
Breaks
2.26%
3 2.26%
Rap
1.50%
2 1.50%
RnB
0.75%
1 0.75%
Total 133 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Favourite style of music.
Favourite style of music.
Just interested Wink

Vote for the genres you best think represent your overall favourite style. For instance someone who likes minimal/dubstep would probably be dance/club, electronic, ambient and if you're that way inclined avant-garde.

Mine:

Jazz
Metal
Ambient
Experimental

And then give some examples!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gw-6IIBXNSQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewdmxcdDSEA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZC7M24Uy...re=related

I think that combination sort of best represents my favourite sound, even though i like plenty of different music, that's the sort of style that stands out for me.

I think the stats here could be quite interesting Smile

If i missed out any 'style' you need to get your sound post it and i'll add it to the poll.
RE: Favourite style of music.
ska-punk
killing time by killing myself slowly
drugs and booze and tobacco companies own me
METAL
Old Metallica / Megadeth / Gwar / Iron Maiden / Iced Earth
Did I make a good point? thumbs up Smile I cant help it I'm a Kudos whore. P.S. Jesus is a MYTH.
Synthpop
I like the way you think!
...But please stop thinking, it's not you.
Mine are all of them.

P.S. You forgot Hip-Hop/Rap and Alternative/Punk.
Eeyore Wrote:Thanks for noticing.
Dance/Club
Electronic
Breaks
Rock

Daft Punk - Dance/Club

The Prodigy - Electronic

Stanton Warriors - Breaks

The Killers - Rock

"God is dead" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"Faith is what you have in things that DON'T exist. - Homer J. Simpson
Blues
Rock
Metal
Folk
Progressive

And sometimes Reggae, Classical, Jazz, and Ambient.
I really do listen to a lot of different kinds of music.
Classical- Well, let me put it this way, if the composer wasn't from a country that was America's Major Enemy at one point, I don't like it. (i.e. Germany [Austria is included here], Russia, England)
Jazz- My taste goes from Louis Armstrong's Hot Five recordings up to Miles Davis' On The Corner. If you think the Koln Concert counts as Jazz, that would be the main exception.
Blues- I listen to blues, but mainly Country Blues (i.e. Robert Johnson, Skip James, Blind Willie Johnson, &c)
Rock- This is the major bread of my music listening habits, particularly classic rock, and some alternative rock.
Metal- I have been getting into it recently. I've even started getting into Burzum recently.
Pop- Well, as opposed to rock, I don't listen to it.
Dance/Club, Ambient, Electronic- I like electronica, but mainly stuff like Air, Portishead, Massive Attack, the Chemical Brothers, and the Prodigy. I don't really like music that's just for dancing to, but don't like electronica that seems like just static, like a lot of Aphex Twin. Trip-Hop is the Golden mean for Electronica.
New Age- Crap. Next!
Religious- I will actually listen to it if the performer is actually talented. I simply cannot say no to a major religious work by Bach, and Tallis' Spem in Alium is simply amazing. I mentioned Blind Willie Johnson earlier, and I have to say that a counterpart in Gospel exists in Mahalia Jackson. I simply loved her work for Duke Ellington, and she's not that bad outside of the context of Come Sunday. For some reason, I've also been listening to quite a bit of Russian Orthodox music. That said, almost all contemporary religious music is crap that tries to use rock n roll to praise God, but ends up doing a disservice to both.
Opera- Considering that I don't like Italian-based operas (things like Don Giovanni aside, being composed by the Austrian Mozart)
Folk- I actually listen to a lot more folk music than most people my age. Favorites include Kingston Trio, Bob Dylan and Woody Guthrie.
Jingles- I don't really seek out commercial jingles to listen to.
Experimental- What counts as experimental? It's too hard to say whether I like it or not when I don't even have a clear idea as to what it entails. Does it include a lot of contemporary classical like Gavin Byars, or are you thinking something like Yoko Ono? In the latter case, I reject it whole-heartedly.
Reggae- Don't really listen to it a lot. I liked The Harder They Fall's soundtrack (Legacy Edition), but didn't care for Bob Marley. I suppose being sober had a lot to do with it.
Progressive- Yes, Prog-rock is a guilty pleasure of mine. I will even admit to liking the excesses of Emerson, Lake, and Palmer.
Breaks- Is this even a genre?

I think that there's one genre that got forgotten: Show Tunes, and I admit that I do like a lot of them; I even own several OCRs (Original Cast Recordings) of my favorite shows.

In conclusion, I'd like to close with a piece by Gavin Byars that manages to fit into several genres, and that's even before throwing genre-busting singer Tom Waits into the mix.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnYA0w4cWiE
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
(September 30, 2010 at 3:53 pm)chasm Wrote: Mine are all of them.

P.S. You forgot Hip-Hop/Rap and Alternative/Punk.

I've added rap and RnB, i'm out of poll options for Punk specifically, Alt is a mix of pop, experimental and metal/rock with extra elements, it's easily enough assembled from the options, Besides i'm out of poll options Tongue

Paul the Human Wrote:Blues
Rock
Metal
Folk
Progressive

Nice Smile What bands would sum up that sound?
To Append my previous post,
Rap- I don't like a lot of it, but what I do like, I do with a passion: Eminem, NWA, GRavediggaz, and Geto Boyz.
R&B- My like of this genre begins and ends pretty much with Motown and what could loosely be called Funk: Sly and the Family Stone, Funkedelic, and the Like.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Favourite Plays FrustratedFool 42 2291 September 3, 2023 at 6:42 pm
Last Post: paulpablo
  Looking for country music singers similar to Alan Jackson rado84 5 614 July 31, 2023 at 10:27 am
Last Post: rado84
  Christian music you actually like? JairCrawford 31 2732 June 17, 2022 at 10:58 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  New Ahem Music Istvan 1 408 March 20, 2022 at 3:39 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Favourite Songs In Oddly Specific Catagories BrianSoddingBoru4 3 356 February 23, 2022 at 5:45 pm
Last Post: brewer
  New music, Old music Ahriman 79 6439 November 5, 2021 at 5:12 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  Listening to music popeyespappy 35 3515 September 27, 2021 at 10:20 pm
Last Post: popeyespappy
  Your favourite books/author The Valkyrie 50 2709 April 28, 2021 at 11:31 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Music Composition FlatAssembler 1 251 May 22, 2020 at 3:08 pm
  Carrie fans and country music. Brian37 13 1165 May 16, 2020 at 8:54 pm