Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 9:23 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why did Kentucky fight on the side of the north?
Why did Kentucky fight on the side of the north?
If the civil war was all about slavery, or slavery was the primary issue, why did Kentucky (a slave state) fight on the side of the north? Why did they in general, even regardless of that issue?
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
RE: Why did Kentucky fight on the side of the north?
This is the same state that is host to the creation "museum" and allowed a massive tax break on Ken Ham's latest debacle.

Who knows what goes through their heads?
Dying to live, living to die.
Great point.

From what I understand, the North didn't give a crap about the black people. They just made the no slave rule so that the South would be dependent on them. I don't think any of the Union soldiers who went to war and gave their life for the cause cared one bit about black people. It was all about politics and power, not about slaves.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kentucky_i..._Civil_War

The border staters were conflicted. Some thought well of abolition, some didn't care one way or the other, some were secessionist through and through. For example, I did a paper that included information on per capita slaver captures by the West African Squadron of the USN. I found that Northern and Southern interdiction were dead even, but "border state" captains lagged behind by 50%. Just a datum point, but with the rest of my paper it was significant.
(May 16, 2017 at 4:09 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: Great point.

From what I understand, the North didn't give a crap about the black people. They just made the no slave rule so that the South would be dependent on them. I don't think any of the Union soldiers who went to war and gave their life for the cause cared one bit about black people. It was all about politics and power, not about slaves.

Probably true Christianity was even more universally an influence back then and the bible gives one plenty of support for slavery.   Angel

While it is true to say that Lincoln was more concerned with holding that nation together than slavery, or that the north's response was not only about slavery, the north did not come up with the no slave rule so the south would be dependent, nor is it true to say, as a blanket statement "the North" didn't give a crap about black people.  Both of these statements are patently false.

The irony is that we think the South went to war over states rights, but that is bull.  It succeeded in order to protect slavery.  

So what you have is some states outlawing slavery, the abolitionist movement.  This happened before the succession, and was indeed begun by people arguing that owning other people was wrong.  It spread. The fear that abolition would become a national position caused the southern states to succeed.  Now, did the north say no to the succession only because of slavery?  No.  They said no to hold the union together.  But the war absolutely was about slavery.  The states who succeeded desired to protect the institution of slavery. 

The cause of the war:  The south wanted to protect the institution of slavery, which was falling out of popularity, and the north fought to keep the south as part of the union.  

(May 16, 2017 at 4:00 pm)CapnAwesome Wrote: If the civil war was all about slavery, or slavery was the primary issue, why did Kentucky (a slave state) fight on the side of the north? Why did they in general, even regardless of that issue?

If you are going to present and argument, at least make it accurate.

Kentucky sent 35k troops to the confederacy

Yes, it also sent troops north, but Kentucky was clearly a split state.  To say the "fought on the side of the north" entirely misses that they also fought on the side of the south.
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
(May 16, 2017 at 4:00 pm)CapnAwesome Wrote: If the civil war was all about slavery, or slavery was the primary issue, why did Kentucky (a slave state) fight on the side of the north? Why did they in general, even regardless of that issue?

When the war broke out the state of Kentucky declared itself neutral.  Correctly fearing that joining one side or the other would, as happened in Virginia, make the state a battleground.  In September, 1861 Confederate general, Gideon Pillow, entered Kentucky to forestall what he saw as a Union move into the state.  As a result of the Confederates being the first to violate Kentucky's 'neutrality' the state officially sided with the union.

Nonetheless, there were Kentucky regiments in both armies.

I guess you've never heard of the abolitionist movement. Or perhaps it was swept out with that generalization?
(May 16, 2017 at 4:00 pm)CapnAwesome Wrote: If the civil war was all about slavery..

There is no if about it.
If god was real he wouldn't need middle men to explain his wants or do his bidding.
(May 16, 2017 at 5:30 pm)Crunchy Wrote:
(May 16, 2017 at 4:00 pm)CapnAwesome Wrote: If the civil war was all about slavery..

There is no if about it.

Ah, but the Hard Core Southerners would disagree with you. Because ... fuck you, just because.  Wink

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Today In History: The North King Street Massacre BrianSoddingBoru4 9 1194 April 28, 2019 at 11:05 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Why did pagans not take any notice of Jesus? Jehanne 131 10698 March 16, 2019 at 7:41 pm
Last Post: fredd bear