Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 11:45 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello!
Hello!
Greetings, I am an 18 atheist who is interested in mathematics as well as Quantum Mechanics, Quantum Field Theory and other such things, though I wish to become a true polymath and eventually learn from any and all fields of study and subjects. To this end, I wish to dedicate my life towards learning and teach others as best I can. "If only I could be so grossly incandescent..."
RE: Hello!
Woof, woof Welcome.

If you're going to teach me I respond best to treats.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Thanks my friend, heh.
Welcome

Kernel Sohcahtoah and Alex K are maths geniuses. I merely dabble.

Hope you love it here!
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Welcome!
That's an excellent choice of interests Big Grin
I admire your goal of becoming a polymath, all you need to do is find a career that allows you to do that.

I have a PhD in Quantum Field Theory, and I have a QFT textbook out since last summer. You're welcome to pester me with questions. I can't promise to know everything though Smile

Also, Steel is lowballing Tongue
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Hi, welcome.

So tell us a bit about yourself. You are rather young- have you always been an atheist?
“What screws us up the most in life is the picture in our head of what it's supposed to be.”

Also if your signature makes my scrolling mess up "you're tacky and I hate you."
My parents raised me assuming I was a Christian, however I've been an atheist since I've been able to rationally think. I live in Kentucky and so there is religion everywhere, yet my parents were never too crazy, probably because they both were gay by the time I was a year old.

(May 17, 2017 at 12:49 pm)Alex K Wrote: Welcome!
I admire your goal of becoming a polymath, all you need to do is find a career that allows you to do that.

I have a PhD in Quantum Field Theory, and I have a QFT textbook out since last summer. You're welcome to pester me with questions. I can't promise to know everything though Smile

Thanks very much, I just need to study more. I've learned much about Quantum Mechanics, I just need to retain it better. I've studied both wave mechanics and matrix mechanics, especially Dirac notation and I've learned everything from photon polarization to spin, to unitary evolution and I've seen the Schrodinger equation beyond count. I do wish to step out of the baby maths, and into subjects such as topology and their applications too in Quantum Mechanics.
(May 17, 2017 at 1:13 pm)The Godliness Within Wrote: My parents raised me assuming I was a Christian, however I've been an atheist since I've been able to rationally think. I live in Kentucky and so there is religion everywhere, yet my parents were never too crazy, probably because they both were gay by the time I was a year old.

(May 17, 2017 at 12:49 pm)Alex K Wrote: Welcome!

Thanks very much, I just need to  study more. I've learned much about Quantum Mechanics, I just need to retain it better. I've studied both wave mechanics and matrix mechanics, especially Dirac notation and I've learned everything from photon polarization to spin, to unitary evolution and I've seen the Schrodinger equation beyond count. I do wish to step out of the baby maths, and into subjects such as topology and their applications too in Quantum Mechanics.

Brilliant! I wouldn't exactly call the unitary evolution in Hilbert space baby maths... but I see what you want.
Have you considered learning differential geometry and general relativity? That would seem like a logical step.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Welcome and good luck in your endeavors.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
(May 17, 2017 at 11:48 am)The Godliness Within Wrote: Greetings, I am an 18 atheist who is interested in mathematics as well as Quantum Mechanics, Quantum Field Theory and other such things, though I wish to become a true polymath and eventually learn from any and all fields of study and subjects. To this end, I wish to dedicate my life towards learning and teach others as best I can. "If only I could be so grossly incandescent..."

Welcome !!

And we believe in bleen around here, so be advised.

Tongue
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Up Hello Hello loush 17 5990 December 13, 2010 at 2:53 pm
Last Post: theophilus
  Hello hello! DgyJff 8 3647 August 30, 2010 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: RachelSkates