Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 4:08 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stupidiest Anti Science Statement I Have Encountered
Stupidiest Anti Science Statement I Have Encountered
I few weeks ago I was talking debating with a colleague over coffee. He's a nice guy but is very into new age drivel. we were debating the merits of science compared to whatever he was talking about .To paraphrase him his chief concern is science will always get you to the "wrong " answer. His example was the whole egg controversy . So he concludes that if science can't solve that it should not be trusted with anything important. This is stupid for three reasons .

1. Science is only wrong if it's methods are not being applied properly

2. When science is wrong what do we use to correct it? Science..

3. Science is a process in progression. if we believed that science was right off the bat or idea's were held as sacred unchallenged gospel immune for further study you would not have science anymore it would be ideology . It would also end science because what would be the point ?

I tell you this I take the imperfection of science over the utter failure most other systems any day of the week
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

RE: Stupidiest Anti Science Statement I Have Encountered
So, what is the whole egg controversy?

I like mine over-easy.  With bacon.  To keep the muslims away.
(May 20, 2017 at 1:48 am)Minimalist Wrote: So, what is the whole egg controversy?

The debate over eggs being good or bad for you
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

(May 20, 2017 at 1:48 am)Minimalist Wrote: So, what is the whole egg controversy?

I think its why Lilliput went to war.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Probably the most stupid anti-science statement is also the most common one: 'It's only a theory.' Fuckwits who draw this statement like a sword expose their ignorance of the entire concept of what science is, what is to be expected of it, what it does and how it works. Yammerheads.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(May 20, 2017 at 5:14 am)Tizheruk Wrote:

The debate over eggs being good or bad for you

The problem with that question is that

- the question, in that generality, is stupid
- Horrible, horrible journalism in the food sector. Think about it, even the last rag will have their lifestyle editor print the exaggerated interpretation of some single paper or result about nutrition, so they effectively try to do science journalism despite being completey unqualified. Food and nutrition is the only field where that is commonplace. So basically, all mainstream reporting on nutrition science is garbage.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(May 20, 2017 at 6:27 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Probably the most stupid anti-science statement is also the most common one:  'It's only a theory.'  Fuckwits who draw this statement like a sword expose their ignorance of the entire concept of what science is, what is to be expected of it, what it does and how it works.  Yammerheads.

Boru

Sorry, but the stupidest would be "...and none of their toys would work at all if God didn't allow it to happen." This from a guy who had his life saved by an MRI that allowed surgeons to remove a tumor from his brain-like skull filler.
And here I thought it was going to be the "which came first" question. Silly me.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(May 20, 2017 at 6:52 am)Alex K Wrote:
(May 20, 2017 at 5:14 am)Tizheruk Wrote: The debate over eggs being good or bad for you

The problem with that question is that

- the question, in that generality, is stupid
- Horrible, horrible journalism in the food sector. Think about it, even the last rag will have their lifestyle editor print the exaggerated interpretation of some single paper or result about nutrition, so they effectively try to do science journalism despite being completey unqualified. Food and nutrition is the only field where that is commonplace. So basically, all mainstream reporting on nutrition science is garbage.

Oh I know. But for the sake of argument I was taking his objection seriously. And pointing out how this was not a challenge to science.

But your right it is a stupid question at that level

Inuit Proverb

so... which came first? Tongue
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My Mother is an Anti-Vaccination idiot. MJ the Skeptical 32 6004 June 25, 2014 at 4:44 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  If you could have a science lesson... Jacob(smooth) 11 5108 December 20, 2013 at 8:55 am
Last Post: popeyespappy
  The Science of Why We Don’t Believe Science FifthElement 23 7756 June 25, 2013 at 10:54 am
Last Post: Rahul
  Science might have found why some people are gay. Gooders1002 9 3671 December 15, 2012 at 6:42 pm
Last Post: Gooders1002
  The Vilest Anti-Vaccine Lie thesummerqueen 13 3894 February 7, 2012 at 3:04 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Dumbest statement you've heard today Norfolk And Chance 34 7149 January 15, 2012 at 9:28 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Science Laughs: Science Comedian Brian Malow orogenicman 4 4276 December 10, 2010 at 12:06 pm
Last Post: Lethe