Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 11:32 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
US Spider Bites
US Spider Bites
This quiz came across my feed, thought some of you might like it.

A.     Which of the following is accurate about the presentation of spider bites?

1.     The hobo spider (Eratigena agrestis) is especially harmful to humans, with bites that cause necrosis
2.     A wolf spider (family Lycosidae) bite is commonly associated with systemic effects and pain that manifests over a longer duration than most other bites
3.     Jumping spider (family Salticidae) bites are common but usually painless
4.     The most common response to a tarantula (family Theraphosidae) bite is a local histamine response

B.     Which of the following is accurate about the presentation of brown recluse (Loxosceles reclusa) bites?

1.     Brown recluse envenomation typically elicits immediate intense sensation
2.     Necrosis is more significant in the muscular areas of the arms, legs, and abdomen
3.     Symptoms of systemic loxoscelism are related to the extent of local tissue reaction
4.     A single clear or hemorrhagic vesicle develops at the site after 24-72 hours, which later forms a dark eschar

C.     Which of the following statements is accurate about the presentation of widow spider (genus Lactrodectus) bites?

1.     Cramping may extend from the local area around the bite to large muscle groups
2.     Hypotension and bradycardia are common after widow spider bites
3.     Systemic symptoms typically begin after 1-2 days
4.     Diaphoresis that occurs remotely from the site of suspected envenomation strongly suggests another cause and not a widow spider bite

D.    Which of the following is accurate about the workup of spider bites?

1.     Obtaining a glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase level may be recommended in patients with brown recluse bites
2.     Patients with widow spider bites may have decreased serum creatinine kinase (CK) levels
3.     Laboratory studies (eg, glycophorin A measurement, complete blood cell count, peripheral white blood cell count) are used to confirm tarantula envenomation
4.     Although funnel-web spider (genera Hadronyche and Atrax) and mouse spider (genus Missulena) bites are often confused, funnel-web spider bites are often confirmed to be "dry" on laboratory findings

E.     Which of the following is accurate about the treatment of spider bites?

1.     Pressure immobilization dressings are contraindicated in funnel-web spider bites
2.     As a general rule, antivenom should be administered in the field when a significant spider bite is suspected
3.     Hospitalization is generally indicated for patients with a history of hypertension who receive a widow spider bite
4.     Dapsone should be routinely administered to patients receiving brown recluse spider bites

Answers
A-3
B-4
C-1
D-1
E-3

I'm sure our down under folks will say, them ain't spiders, this is a spider

[Image: xaustralian-spiders-funnelweb2.jpg.pages...f0187-.jpg]
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
RE: US Spider Bites
wonder what kind of spiders they are in my nightmares that paralyze me and then eat my eyeballs ??
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

I have such a phobia of spiders that I literally force myself awake when I am dreaming of a spider.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(May 20, 2017 at 4:49 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: wonder what kind of spiders they are in my nightmares that paralyze me and then eat my eyeballs ??

I don't know but there's one directly over you right now.
(May 20, 2017 at 4:50 pm)Lutrinae Wrote: I have such a phobia of spiders that I literally force myself awake when I am dreaming of a spider.

but if you're paralyzed, is being awake much of an improvement when they're eating your tongue ??
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(May 20, 2017 at 4:52 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: but if you're paralyzed, is being awake much of an improvement when they're eating your tongue ??

>.>
~ Erin Hunter
Spider bite on my penis at around age 7 or 8. Looking back on it now I kinda wish the swelling would have been permanent.
(May 20, 2017 at 5:19 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: Spider bite on my penis at around age 7 or 8. Looking back on it now I kinda wish the swelling would have been permanent.

They have to push a huge needle into the penis to withdraw the blood when it doesn't go down naturally.
~ Erin Hunter
(May 20, 2017 at 5:21 pm)Lutrinae Wrote:
(May 20, 2017 at 5:19 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: Spider bite on my penis at around age 7 or 8. Looking back on it now I kinda wish the swelling would have been permanent.

They have to push a huge needle into the penis to withdraw the blood when it doesn't go down naturally.

Naw, I got a needle full of steroids in the butt and a nurse assistant doing alternating hot and cold paks on my wiener for about an hour. That may explain some later life behavior.
[Image: 7001e41c8ff0b5a070702c9f648647e1.jpg]

And that's all I have to say about that.

(May 20, 2017 at 5:37 pm)mh.brewer Wrote:
(May 20, 2017 at 5:21 pm)Lutrinae Wrote: They have to push a huge needle into the penis to withdraw the blood when it doesn't go down naturally.

Naw, I got a needle full of steroids in the butt and a nurse assistant doing alternating hot and cold paks on my wiener for about an hour. That may explain some later life behavior.

ROFLOL

Are you into nurses, and cold/hot play now?? Wink
If I were to create self aware beings knowing fully what they would do in their lifetimes, I sure wouldn't create a HELL for the majority of them to live in infinitely! That's not Love, that's sadistic. Therefore a truly loving god does not exist!

Quote:The sin is against an infinite being (God) unforgiven infinitely, therefore the punishment is infinite.

Dead wrong.  The actions of a finite being measured against an infinite one are infinitesimal and therefore merit infinitesimal punishment.

Quote:Some people deserve hell.

I say again:  No exceptions.  Punishment should be equal to the crime, not in excess of it.  As soon as the punishment is greater than the crime, the punisher is in the wrong.

[Image: tumblr_n1j4lmACk61qchtw3o1_500.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Potential new spider species demonstrates intelligent design Cyberman 1 1971 January 17, 2013 at 1:01 am
Last Post: Cinjin
  Spider Web Time-lapse Rayaan 5 2405 December 21, 2012 at 10:11 am
Last Post: Rayaan
  100 Million Year Old Spider Attack thesummerqueen 8 4755 October 10, 2012 at 8:33 pm
Last Post: JohnDG
  Peacock Spider Rayaan 9 3797 September 9, 2011 at 9:03 am
Last Post: Zen Badger