Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 4:45 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Origin of religion
Origin of religion

This video is honestly pretty great, and might help some religious people on the fence to see that their myth is nothing special
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

RE: Origin of religion
Religions started when some bullshitter sitting by a campfire made of camel dung told a tall tale to explain the world around them. The lies keep coming all these thousands of years later.
Actually, gods started out that way. Religions started when those with a quick imagination and a glib tongue realised they could use them to manipulate others to obtain wealth and power without having to do anything to earn either.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Julian Jaynes* hypothesizes that consciousness itself began as a hallucination of the voice of a god. Actually it's more complicated than that. But if any of it makes sense then the voice of god has always been a hierarchal affair. The highest priest/king would still hear the voice of the last one emanating from a stone figure commanding him what to do and everyone below him would hear the voice of god when he spoke. That voice would continue to resonate with them even when he wasn't there by way of their own capacity to hallucinate. The capacity to have a voice of ones own would have been and some degree of will as an individual would have been a later development. So if he were right about this, the priest class wasn't a scheme of a conniving individual; it was instead part of a process which led to individual consciousness of self. But god only knows what he may have been huffing.

*The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind
Based on the number of different voices the priests have heard, god must be hallucinating during a bar fight.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

(June 19, 2017 at 1:08 pm)Whateverist Wrote: Julian Jaynes* hypothesizes that consciousness itself began as a hallucination of the voice of a god.  Actually it's more complicated than that.  But if any of it makes sense then the voice of god has always been a hierarchal affair.  The highest priest/king would still hear the voice of the last one emanating from a stone figure commanding him what to do and everyone below him would hear the voice of god when he spoke.  That voice would continue to resonate with them even when he wasn't there by way of their own capacity to hallucinate.  The capacity to have a voice of ones own would have been and some degree of will as an individual would have been a later development.  So if he were right about this, the priest class wasn't a scheme of a conniving individual; it was instead part of a process which led to individual consciousness of self.  But god only knows what he may have been huffing.

The claim that the brain didn't have as many connections as it does now (the corpus callosum was smaller?) is sort of what Jaynes was driving at, IIRC. I don't know the biology of that, though. It's also been a long time since I read the book. In any event, my personal thinking is along the lines of a person having a problem to solve, and he thinks long and hard about it. Sort of equivalent to praying for a solution, but without the woo. When a solution presents itself, the religious person may consider it "divine inspiration" instead of just realizing that it comes from his own mind. As in, "How did I ever come up with that solution?". I do not ascribe to a divine source.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
(June 19, 2017 at 1:08 pm)Whateverist Wrote: Julian Jaynes* hypothesizes that consciousness itself began as a hallucination of the voice of a god.  Actually it's more complicated than that.  But if any of it makes sense then the voice of god has always been a hierarchal affair.  The highest priest/king would still hear the voice of the last one emanating from a stone figure commanding him what to do and everyone below him would hear the voice of god when he spoke.  That voice would continue to resonate with them even when he wasn't there by way of their own capacity to hallucinate.  The capacity to have a voice of ones own would have been and some degree of will as an individual would have been a later development.  So if he were right about this, the priest class wasn't a scheme of a conniving individual; it was instead part of a process which led to individual consciousness of self.  But god only knows what he may have been huffing.

Sounds overly complex. The bullshitter theory is quite enough.
(June 19, 2017 at 1:25 pm)Fireball Wrote: "How did I ever come up with that solution?".

All of my teachers have wondered that about me during those math tests Tongue
- Lau Tzu

This is a great video. I've seen it before, and it's good to watch it. It may have been the video, or at least one of them, that made me realize the Jesus story isn't special at all.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(June 19, 2017 at 1:38 pm)Aoi Magi Wrote:
(June 19, 2017 at 1:25 pm)Fireball Wrote: "How did I ever come up with that solution?".

All of my teachers have wondered that about me during those math tests  Tongue

That's why I never cheated on tests. I don't want to own other's mistakes- I make enough of my own. Dodgy
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Indelible Stamp of our Lowly Origin leo-rcc 0 1017 October 15, 2009 at 2:04 pm
Last Post: leo-rcc
  Chin Review: The Origin of Species Rob 4 1560 May 30, 2009 at 5:29 pm
Last Post: Rob