Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 4:33 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brace yourselves! The conspiracy theorists are talking about Yellow Stone again
Brace yourselves! The conspiracy theorists are talking about Yellow Stone again
Here's the reality. We really never know when the Yellow Stone Super Volcano is going to blow. Could be next week, next year or a million years from now. But apparently whenever there are more earthquakes than usual, that is apparently a "sign" that it's going to blow it's top off. Look, I realize some people ejaculate to this idea of global destruction. However, take a chill pill! Most of these people who spout this nonsense usually know nothing about the subject matter. Myself? I don't know a ton either. However, meteorology and geology are hobbies of mine. So, while I am not an expert in the field, I probably know more than the average Joe since I study this stuff for fun. Also, I mostly rely on those who are experts on this matter. The boys at NASA, USGS or my favorite the NWS. I even point these people in those directions; and yet they continue to ignore me and drown in their ignorance. They continue to rely on their own sources which are usually the guy standing on the street corner with a sign that says "THE MOON LANDING WAS FAKE"

I think people also do interpret information improperly. For instance, in geological terms a million years is considered a very short time. For instance, in geological terms earth is very young. So when people here this, "it could happen soon" they think next week.

This is why education is so damn important!

http://defiantamerica.com/yellowstone-su...-activity/

[Image: 1r95y6.gif]

[Image: 1rb9xg.gif]
RE: Brace yourselves! The conspiracy theorists are talking about Yellow Stone again
Sigh

I know someone who has been going bonkers over this for the last year. If this was more immediately serious, you'd think people would be told to evacuate the area.
I don't believe you. Get over it.
RE: Brace yourselves! The conspiracy theorists are talking about Yellow Stone again
NASA is a lie
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
I have seen talk of that here in NZ (no much, since Kiwis, for the most part, appear to be a fairly rational bunch).

Two big earthquakes in 5 years?

Maybe the Taupo super volcano - yes, we have one here, too - is going to erupt!

Yeah, one day it will.
Dying to live, living to die.
Nobody panic. Mt Vesuvius will not erupt any time soon -mayor of Pompeii.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(June 21, 2017 at 11:57 pm)Losty Wrote: NASA is a lie
Yes. It's really an acronym for North American Sucker Agency.
(June 21, 2017 at 11:44 pm)It_Was_me Wrote: Here's the reality. We really never know when the Yellow Stone Super Volcano is going to blow. Could be next week, next year or a million years from now. But apparently whenever there are more earthquakes than usual, that is apparently a "sign" that it's going to blow it's top off. Look, I realize some people ejaculate to this idea of global destruction. However, take a chill pill! Most of these people who spout this nonsense usually know nothing about the subject matter. Myself? I don't know a ton either. However, meteorology and geology are hobbies of mine. So, while I am not an expert in the field, I probably know more than the average Joe since I study this stuff for fun. Also, I mostly rely on those who are experts on this matter. The boys at NASA, USGS or my favorite the NWS. I even point these people in those directions; and yet they continue to ignore me and drown in their ignorance. They continue to rely on their own sources which are usually the guy standing on the street corner with a sign that says "THE MOON LANDING WAS FAKE"

I think people also do interpret information improperly. For instance, in geological terms a million years is considered a very short time. For instance, in geological terms earth is very young. So when people here this, "it could happen soon" they think next week.

Increased geological activity increases the risk that another eruption is immanent.  Thankfully, every bit of increased geological activity that -doesn't- yield an eruption reduces the forces which will eventually cause one - to some extent or another.

It could happen next week, as you pointed out right at the start.   I agree that it works people up into a tizzy, but I don't think that worrying about catastrophic events that could happen and have happened and will happen again..and the only means by which we generate early warnings showing us that there is increased activity... is all that crazy.  Ultimately, there's nothing we can do about it either way...and so a person has to find some means to reconcile those understandable and well supported fears with an acknowledgement of our inability to ameliorate them. The problem in this case isn't anyone's lack of understanding about the subject (and it doesn't take much to understand why it's a concern).

@Jesster, ever seen femas assessment of possible evacuations in the event of historically strong seismic activity in the pacific rim? Everyone west of I-5 is written off, and their evacuation would not only be unsuccessful, it would actively impede the evacuation of people from i-5 to i-15, who are partially written off. The suggested course of action in our current plan.....is to tell all of those people to get to the highest ground possible. For those that survive, we won;t be able to reach many of them for weeks, we won;t be able to restore a semblance of order for months, and we may never be able to afford to rebuild the infrastucture that would be lost. #Apocalypse Then.

Perhaps this is part of the reason that such a fertile, productive, and seemingly idyllic region of the globe was in a state of pristine beauty when we arrived to "civilize" it despite having been inhabited by people for at least ten thousand years.

The north american environment goes hard. Wink
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(June 22, 2017 at 10:34 am)Khemikal Wrote:
(June 21, 2017 at 11:44 pm)It_Was_me Wrote: Here's the reality. We really never know when the Yellow Stone Super Volcano is going to blow. Could be next week, next year or a million years from now. But apparently whenever there are more earthquakes than usual, that is apparently a "sign" that it's going to blow it's top off. Look, I realize some people ejaculate to this idea of global destruction. However, take a chill pill! Most of these people who spout this nonsense usually know nothing about the subject matter. Myself? I don't know a ton either. However, meteorology and geology are hobbies of mine. So, while I am not an expert in the field, I probably know more than the average Joe since I study this stuff for fun. Also, I mostly rely on those who are experts on this matter. The boys at NASA, USGS or my favorite the NWS. I even point these people in those directions; and yet they continue to ignore me and drown in their ignorance. They continue to rely on their own sources which are usually the guy standing on the street corner with a sign that says "THE MOON LANDING WAS FAKE"

Increased geological activity increases the risk that another eruption is immanent.  Thankfully, every bit of increased geological activity that -doesn't- yield an eruption reduces the forces which will eventually cause one - to some extent or another.

It could happen next week, as you pointed out right at the start.   I agree that it works people up into a tizzy, but I don't think that worrying about catastrophic events that could happen and have happened and will happen again..and the only means by which we generate early warnings showing us that there is increased activity... is all that crazy.  Ultimately, there's nothing we can do about it either way...and so a person has to find some means to reconcile those understandable and well supported fears with an acknowledgement of our inability to ameliorate them.  The problem in this case isn't anyone's lack of understanding about the subject (and it doesn't take much to understand why it's a concern).

@Jesster, ever seen femas assessment of possible evacuations in the event of historically strong seismic activity in the pacific rim?  Everyone west of I-5 is written off, and their evacuation would not only be unsuccessful, it would actively impede the evacuation of people from i-5 to i-15, who are partially written off.  The suggested course of action in our current plan.....is to tell all of those people to get to the highest ground possible.  For those that survive, we won;t be able to reach many of them for weeks, we won;t be able to restore a semblance of order for months, and we may never be able to afford to rebuild the infrastucture that would be lost.  #Apocalypse Then.

Perhaps this is part of the reason that such a fertile, productive, and seemingly idyllic region of the globe was in a state of pristine beauty when we arrived to "civilize" it despite having been inhabited by people for at least ten thousand years.

The north american environment goes hard.   Wink

You are a fountain of logic

[Image: 1r95y6.gif]

[Image: 1rb9xg.gif]
As Rob used to say: a chainsaw of logic. Slices and dices those creatards up into edible pieces.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Funny thing is the supervolcano actually erupted in 2012. But the government covered it up. That's why you never see that movie, "2012", in theaters anymore.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Brace yourselves for gravitational waves Alex K 220 15418 February 27, 2016 at 12:27 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  No Arks....no talking snakes.... Minimalist 6 1081 January 12, 2016 at 5:10 pm
Last Post: Chad32