Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 10:17 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Civilization V
Civilization V
Anyone playing this game at the moment? It's recently been chewing up mass amounts of my free time. I failed in my first attempt as a free thinking Arab republic (Go figure, right?). Now, I'm working on making Mother Russia an aristocratic world power. Might have more luck there. lol.
Our Daily Train blog at jeremystyron.com

---
We have lingered in the chambers of the sea | By sea-girls wreathed with seaweed red and brown | Till human voices wake us, and we drown. — T.S. Eliot

"... man always has to decide for himself in the darkness, that he must want beyond what he knows. ..." — Simone de Beauvoir

"As if that blind rage had washed me clean, rid me of hope; for the first time, in that night alive with signs and stars, I opened myself to the gentle indifference of the world. Finding it so much like myself—so like a brother, really—I felt that I had been happy and that I was happy again." — Albert Camus, "The Stranger"
---
RE: Civilization V
(October 6, 2010 at 9:56 am)everythingafter Wrote: Anyone playing this game at the moment? It's recently been chewing up mass amounts of my free time. I failed in my first attempt as a free thinking Arab republic (Go figure, right?). Now, I'm working on making Mother Russia an aristocratic world power. Might have more luck there. lol.

I can't wait to get it & play it, but at the same time I dread the upcoming lost of sleep & social life.
"How is it that a lame man does not annoy us while a lame mind does? Because a lame man recognizes that we are walking straight, while a lame mind says that it is we who are limping." - Pascal
Social whut now?
I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
...the least christian thing a person can do is to become a christian. ~Chuck
---------------
NO MA'AM
[Image: attemptingtogiveadamnc.gif]
Dont have it yet, but civ4 cost me many hours sleep. Will get it next pay day me thinks.
"A man who keeps one eye on the past is blind in one eye. A man who ignores the past is blind in both."
(October 13, 2010 at 7:43 am)AnunZi Wrote: Dont have it yet, but civ4 cost me many hours sleep. Will get it next pay day me thinks.

I've recently rediscovered my love for Master of Magic. Also I can play it at work & no one is the wiser. Big Grin
"How is it that a lame man does not annoy us while a lame mind does? Because a lame man recognizes that we are walking straight, while a lame mind says that it is we who are limping." - Pascal
PS3 FTW!!!
Quote:"An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity. "
Martin Luther King, Jr.
I have it! I like it so far. (Although I miss 4, it is a great upgrade.)
(October 6, 2010 at 9:28 pm)Dotard Wrote: Social whut now?

They were talking about something that only monkeys enjoy... I assure you: it's nothing to worry about Smile

I bought Civ V recently, and it's sitting in a sack of unopened games, that will remain such until i decide to get a windows computer Smile
Oh... Have they gotten rid of the stupid diceroll combat system yet?
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
I played Civ IV back in the day, and I consider Civ V to be much easier to play than Civ IV. Also the change from squares to Hex is just excellent, it has been a long time coming. I like pretty much every gameplay mechanic (I miss religion) And I've been experimenting with all different civs. I tried to win a cultural victory as the Mongols, but Harun Al-Rashid decided he needed my land more than I did.
"If an injury must be done to a man, it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared" - Niccolo Macchiavelli
I stumbled upon a pretty scathing, in depth critique of Civ V while reading the Elemental forums.

What went wrong?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sid Meir's Civilization: Beyond Earth Secular Elf 25 3161 May 29, 2015 at 6:08 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  Civilization V jots 10 2302 April 17, 2013 at 11:51 am
Last Post: Violet