Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 6:26 am

Poll: Are such bans reasonable?
This poll is closed.
Bans on fireworks in densely populated areas are good public policy.
84.62%
11 84.62%
Bans on fireworks are an infringement on my rights.
0%
0 0%
Other (explain in thread)
15.38%
2 15.38%
Total 13 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fireworks are freedom?
Fireworks are freedom?
Poll coming.

http://www.columbian.com/news/2015/oct/0...fireworks/

Fireworks are legal in my state, at least around Independence Day.  Last year, the Vancouver city council voted to ban the use of fireworks (except permitted displays) in the city limits, citing increased density, fire hazard, noise, and impact on pets.  Vancouver is by far the most populated cities in the county, and is one of the largest in the state.

Fireworks are not banned in unincorporated areas of the county, or in smaller cities in towns.

A large part of the complaints from those against the ban is "they're taking away our freedoms".

In my view, you don't have a right to create a noise nuisance - for a week - for 3 or more hours a night, any more than I have a right to play my electric guitar turned up to 11 in the middle of my street at midnight (or any other time of year).  People literally are setting off large fireworks like mortars and such until four in the morning.  

In addition, you don't have the right for your aerial fireworks to cause a fire on my property.  IOW, your rights and at my property line.

Opinions?
RE: Fireworks are freedom?
(Incidentally, I find it not the least bit surprising that the person against the ban that they interviewed owns a fireworks business. However, the sentiment is common amongst people who don't.)
The only thing we are doing wrong in regards to fireworks is not having DCFS people posted at hospital emergency rooms to arrest parents/guardians on the spot when they bring in their 7 fingered facially charred children.

Actually making a few examples of them with criminal prosecutions would be a ++good.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(June 22, 2017 at 3:58 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: The only thing we are doing wrong in regards to fireworks is not having DCFS people posted at hospital emergency rooms to arrest parents/guardians on the spot when they bring in their 7 fingered facially charred children.

Actually making a few examples of them with criminal prosecutions would be a ++good.

Well... they are going to be issuing $500 citations to anyone they catch which hopefully will result in fewer charred chillins.
Not only densely populated areas but densely wooded areas. One misplace firework could easily burn down half a state.
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
The ones that really need busted are at the ER with their scorched one eyed babies.

And $500 fines don't scratch the surface for life time medical care and pain/suffering. Confiscation of assets including SS and IRAs would be a helluva wake up call and actually protect kids.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

I think it's a good idea not to sell fireworks to the public but to have co-ordinated displays.

Every October here fireworks go on sale for a couple of weeks - the only time of year they're (legally) on the market.

On Guy Fawkes night they're supposed to be used and that's it.

I have neighbours who, at random times of the year, set of fireworks and scare the hell out of my cats (and set off the neighbourhood dogs). Because they're in range, being only a couple of houses away, I stand on my deck and pelt them with eggs.
Dying to live, living to die.
(June 22, 2017 at 4:03 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: The ones that really need busted are at the ER with their scorched one eyed babies.

And $500 fines don't scratch the surface for life time medical care and pain/suffering.  Confiscation of assets including SS and IRAs would be a helluva wake up call and actually protect kids.

I don't disagree, I'm just figuring handing out a few hundred $500 fines this year is possibly going to reduce the number of people willing to take the risk next year. I agree they should do more to people who cause property damage or injury, particularly injury to children. I love children, they're delicious - but not blackened.
Quote:A large part of the complaints from those against the ban is "they're taking away our freedoms".

They want the freedom to be a public nuisance and potentially damage property.  Still.... I am of two minds about this as illustrated here:

Quote:A man and and a woman from Alabama don't want any more children because they already have 11. So the husband goes to a doctor in Ohio. The doctor asks, "What state are you from?
The man says, "Alabama." The doctor tells him to go home, put a lit cherry bomb in an empty soda can, hold it in his hand, and count to 10. The husband isn't so sure of this, so he goes to another doctor, this time in California.
When that doctor finds out that the husband is from Alabama, he tells him the exact same thing that the doctor in Ohio told him. The husband figures that the doctors must be right.
So he goes home, puts a lit cherry bomb in a soda can, and starts to count. ''1...2...3...4...5...'' The husband takes the soda can and puts it between his legs to continue counting on his fingers on his right hand. ''6...7...8...9...''
I voted "Other"
As long as they don't blow out my windows, I don't really give a damn. As a rule though, big bags are always a plus.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HIV drug mandate violates religious freedom, judge rules zebo-the-fat 6 1008 September 9, 2022 at 6:12 pm
Last Post: Divinity
  Of guns and fireworks OP/ED....... Brian37 22 1230 July 9, 2021 at 12:46 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  A $50 million fireworks display? Jehanne 14 1665 April 15, 2018 at 11:29 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Trumps not for freedom of speech Amarok 49 8111 February 7, 2017 at 8:35 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  So Much For Freedom Of The Press Minimalist 18 3027 July 6, 2016 at 11:51 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Majority of Americans support gay rights over religious freedom bills Foxaèr 30 5645 April 17, 2015 at 2:11 pm
Last Post: Hatshepsut
  Because security > freedom - Sim card database Dystopia 1 782 March 3, 2015 at 1:29 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  After Supporting Freedom of the Press in France Minimalist 8 2116 January 13, 2015 at 6:14 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus