Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 7:14 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interesting Development in the Med.
Interesting Development in the Med.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-40437917

Quote:Migrant crisis: Italy threatens to shut ports

Quote:Italy has threatened to stop vessels of other countries from bringing migrants to its ports.

The warning came as Italy's EU representative, Maurizio Massari, warned in a letter to the bloc the situation had become "unsustainable".

What happens when Ideals crash into Reality?
RE: Interesting Development in the Med.
(June 28, 2017 at 7:10 pm)Minimalist Wrote: What happens when Ideals crash into Reality?

They won't be able to come ashore in Italy apparently.
So they will just go somewhere else . You can't stop the wave .
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

Or they'll die in the sea trying. They're already doing that anyway, sadly.

-Teresa
(June 28, 2017 at 7:39 pm)Tizheruk Wrote: So they will just go somewhere else . You can't stop the wave .

Greece?  Tried that.

France?  It's a lot further.

Spain?  I doubt they will be any happier about it than Italy.

Turkey?  Frying pan to the fire.

I suspect what they want to do is shut down the smugglers.
(June 28, 2017 at 8:57 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
(June 28, 2017 at 7:39 pm)Tizheruk Wrote: So they will just go somewhere else . You can't stop the wave .

Greece?  Tried that.

France?  It's a lot further.

Spain?  I doubt they will be any happier about it than Italy.

Turkey?  Frying pan to the fire.

I suspect what they want to do is shut down the smugglers.

People find a way if they want to escape poverty war etc

Our concern is how many of them make it rather then drown in the sea and what we do when they arrive
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

Italy apparently is thinking of preventing them from arriving.
Sounds like they've got it figured out.  They can combine the tactic described (of preventing rescue ships at port) with the USCG's strategy of sinking migrant vessels with their deck pumps. 

It's a proven model.  Maybe we can make some coin off consultancy.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lastest development in Smollett case EgoDeath 76 6570 March 12, 2019 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Interesting Development Minimalist 18 2421 March 26, 2018 at 7:39 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  So Now This Is Getting Interesting. Minimalist 57 8170 December 17, 2016 at 9:52 am
Last Post: Cato
  Very interesting Jullian Assange interview with RT ReptilianPeon 51 6403 August 14, 2016 at 1:10 pm
Last Post: abaris