Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 9:23 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dietary Supplements
Dietary Supplements
Quite a jolt, watched Frontline: Supplements and Safety (Season 34/ episode2) and was not very happy about how supplements are regulated, advertised and lobbied about in Congress.

Of particular annoyance, turns out vitamin E is suspected of promoting prostate cancer.  And since the vast majority of people get plenty in their diet as it is, there is no point in taking a vitamin E supplement.  And especially me, my PSA, while stable, is a little high AND the vitamin E capsules I was taking contain 1400% of the recommended daily dose!

I myself was of the thought, well, most supplements are cheap, if no harm accrues from their use, why not take them ?

Well, it's the no harm accrues part where the country is in trouble.  Usually, the harm angle is figured out when people using the supplement suffer harm.  And that can be too late.  Particularly for those folks in Hawaii, some of whom needed a liver transplant after taking a new diet pill. Helluva way to verify safety of a pill, ain't it ?

Another problem with some supplements, with new DNA testing, it's relatively easy for state and federal regulators to determine, for instance, if a black cohosh supplement actually contains any black cohosh. As it turns out, no black cohosh supplement contains black cohosh.  How's that for a placebo test ??

Disclaimer:
Yeah, I threw out my vitamin E.  I do continue to take krill oil, glucosamine chondroitin, a multivitamin and an AREDS formula vitamin.  LOL, I'm still getting plenty of vitamin E.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

RE: Dietary Supplements
Any of the fat soluble vitamin supplements have the potential to be toxic if taken in high enough doses for a long enough time as the excess is stored in the body rather than excreted (as water solubles are).
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
There are some issues with the SELECT study, vitamin E/cancer link. 

Read the last bullet point of this link: https://nei.nih.gov/amd/summary
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(June 29, 2017 at 12:29 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote: Any of the fat soluble vitamin supplements have the potential to be toxic if taken in high enough doses for a long enough time as the excess is stored in the body rather than excreted (as water solubles are).

I was just about to say that, yeah. Most of the B vitamins and vitamin C, you can just urinate out any excess without much concern (unless you REALLY go overboard with them.) Really, only vitamin A and E are ones we don't typically get as far as the lipid-solubles go, since we can generate vitamin D from exposure to sunlight and our digestive tracts have bacteria that manufacture vitamin K for us (unless we're on antibiotics and they're all killed off by it). A simple one-a-day multivitamin should be sufficient for whatever we're not sure we're getting enough of just from our diets.
Religions were invented to impress and dupe illiterate, superstitious stone-age peasants. So in this modern, enlightened age of information, what's your excuse? Or are you saying with all your advantages, you were still tricked as easily as those early humans?

---

There is no better way to convey the least amount of information in the greatest amount of words than to try explaining your religious views.