Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 2:26 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why William Lane Craig is a dope.
Why William Lane Craig is a dope.
Emphasis is from Dr. Griffiths:

Quote:Unlike Newton's mechanics, or Maxwell's electrodynamics, or Einsteins' relativity, quantum theory was not created -- or even definitively packaged -- by one individual, and it retains to this day some of the scars of its exhilarating but traumatic youth.  There is no general consensus as to what its fundamental principles are, how it should be taught, or what it really "means".  Every competent physicist can "do" quantum mechanics, but the stories we tell ourselves about what we are doing are as various as the tales of Scheherazade, and almost as implausible.  Richard Feynam (one of its greatest practitioners) remarked, "I think I can safely say that nobody understands quantum mechanics."

The purpose of this book is to teach you how to do quantum mechanics.  Apart from some essential background in Chapter 1, the deeper quasi-philosophical questions are saved for the end.  I do not believe one can intelligently discuss what quantum mechanics means until one has a firm sense of what quantum mechanics does.  But if you absolutely cannot wait, by all means read the Afterword immediately following Chapter 1.

Not only is quantum theory conceptually rich, it is also technically difficult, and exact solutions to all but the most artificial textbook examples are few and far between... (Preface, Introduction to Quantum Mechanics, 3rd edition, Professor David J. Griffiths, Reed College)

I posted this in the physics subforum to have a discussion as to the fact that quantum mechanics is fundamentally different than our classical notions of space and time, which means that such arguments as the Aristotelian Kalam Cosmological Argument are DOA as far as modern physics is concerned.

Of course, it is clear to me that Dr. Craig does not understand what quantum mechanics does.
RE: Why William Lane Craig is a dope.
... and when you add quantum gravity where time probably ceases to be a simple linear continuous thing most intuitive notions about causality and time go out of the window.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

And, to mention, also, Craig rejects Lorentzian invariance, and postulates that there is, somewhere in the physical Universe (not just "heaven"), an absolute frame of reference.  Of course, Craig has no evidence whatsoever of such a place.  Now, if Craig rejects Lorentzian invariance, then he needs to reject the BGV theorem, which assumes such.
<Snip>
"The purpose of this book is to teach you how to do quantum mechanics."

What, exactly does he mean, to 'do' quantum mechanics?
My albeit limited understanding is, unless you have a firm grounding in physics and mathematics ie, a masters, you will never 'get' QM.
It's amazing 'science' always seems to 'find' whatever it is funded for, and never the oppsite. Drich.
(July 13, 2017 at 9:17 am)Succubus Wrote: <Snip>
"The purpose of this book is to teach you how to do quantum mechanics."

What, exactly does he mean, to 'do' quantum mechanics?
My albeit limited understanding is, unless you have a firm grounding in physics and mathematics ie, a masters, you will never 'get' QM.

It means using the Schrodinger Equation to solve hypothetical problems, usually, in 1 or 2 dimensions, typically, with hydrogen or helium.  Anything beyond that in 3 dimensions gets really ugly really fast.  Usually, things are non-relativistic, and when they are, you need Quantum Field Theory, and the Dirac equation is at the heart of that.
Ah, OK, thanks for clearing that up.
It's amazing 'science' always seems to 'find' whatever it is funded for, and never the oppsite. Drich.
Why William Lane Craig is a dope...

He is William Lane Craig. That is enough.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Not only "is a dope" but "is dope". He's is the fundamental christian's equivalent to opiate nirvana.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(July 13, 2017 at 7:10 am)Alex K Wrote: ... and when you add quantum gravity where time probably ceases to be a simple linear continuous thing most intuitive notions about causality and time go out of the window.

Hey, c'mon.  He's a guy who claims to believe that a dead jew came back to life and flew up to fucking heaven.  And you want him to handle quantum gravity?
Here's the Quantum Eternity Theorem or its equivalent as far as I can tell, from Griffiths:

[Image: 1BqlmI4.jpg]

As you can see, the Schrodinger equation clearly implies that the Universe is eternal, both beginningless and endless.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  More nonsense from William Craig... Jehanne 34 3292 July 3, 2016 at 11:52 pm
Last Post: robvalue