Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 6:23 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is the point of religious billboards?
What is the point of religious billboards?
Recently we went down south to visit family, and... along the way we saw a LOT of Religious Billboards.  And all I could think was "What's the point?"  You're not going to convince any atheists or agnostics to call.  And people who already believe in god don't need to call.  So who's supposed to call?  Seems like a waste of money.  You know that could go to... say Charitable works.  Maybe there's some people on the fence who MIGHT call, but it seems like such a small audience.  

It's preaching to the choir.  No atheist is going to look at those boards and think "I should call!  Maybe they do have evidence!" 

I mean if you're advertising for a specific church, sure I can get that.  Probably still a waste of money, but at least then you're advertising a specific church.  But just ones that are like "Believe in Jesus!"  seem like such a waste.
The whole tone of Church teaching in regard to woman is, to the last degree, contemptuous and degrading. - Elizabeth Cady Stanton
RE: What is the point of religious billboards?
I REALLY like this one:

[Image: burn-forever-rural-billboard-resized-2.jpg]
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Sure I can, I have two hands.

[Image: holdhandsbillboard.jpg]
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Whatever the point is, they sure don't like playing fair with them.

[Image: 664c6f9e097b74c3ac38787c5d73d5d70b8ea33b...bcc43b.jpg]
I don't believe you. Get over it.
I love the "JESUS" signs. They'll have to come down when being an alien in the US is made illegal.
(July 13, 2017 at 12:01 pm)Jesster Wrote: Whatever the point is, they sure don't like playing fair with them.

[Image: 664c6f9e097b74c3ac38787c5d73d5d70b8ea33b...bcc43b.jpg]

Well, maybe the one I posted is a Poe billboard . . . .
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(July 13, 2017 at 11:46 am)Cecelia Wrote: Recently we went down south to visit family, and... along the way we saw a LOT of Religious Billboards.  And all I could think was "What's the point?"  You're not going to convince any atheists or agnostics to call.  And people who already believe in god don't need to call.  So who's supposed to call?  Seems like a waste of money.  You know that could go to... say Charitable works.  Maybe there's some people on the fence who MIGHT call, but it seems like such a small audience.  

It's preaching to the choir.  No atheist is going to look at those boards and think "I should call!  Maybe they do have evidence!" 

I mean if you're advertising for a specific church, sure I can get that.  Probably still a waste of money, but at least then you're advertising a specific church.  But just ones that are like "Believe in Jesus!"  seem like such a waste.

Virtue-signalling.

To remind you that they're everywhere, that theres nowhere you can go to escape their baseless condemnation and infantile moralizing.  So, pretty much the same as the churches and religions and people that put them up.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(July 13, 2017 at 11:46 am)Cecelia Wrote: Recently we went down south to visit family, and... along the way we saw a LOT of Religious Billboards.  And all I could think was "What's the point?"  You're not going to convince any atheists or agnostics to call.  And people who already believe in god don't need to call.  So who's supposed to call?  Seems like a waste of money.  You know that could go to... say Charitable works.  Maybe there's some people on the fence who MIGHT call, but it seems like such a small audience.  

You are talking about people who are A) inherently stupid and B) think that they get brownie points from fucking jesus for advertising.

In fact, Richard Carrier makes the point that when the concept of "jesus" was Euhemerized ( turned from a myth into a man ) it was primarily a marketing ploy.
We've got so many of them in my little slice of heaven. I've learned to autopilot ignore.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  At what point does faith become insanity? Fake Messiah 64 3863 May 8, 2023 at 10:37 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  What is the Point of Believing in God Without Religion? Rhondazvous 74 8132 January 6, 2017 at 11:29 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  My point of view on religion. Vegamo 0 1138 April 2, 2015 at 10:41 am
Last Post: Vegamo
  How to argue this point? Arkwright 18 3092 October 22, 2014 at 12:24 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Religious moderates enable religious extremists worldslaziestbusker 82 32871 October 24, 2013 at 8:03 pm
Last Post: Optimistic Mysanthrope
  At which point can a state shut down and forbid a religion? Something completely different 11 4685 September 21, 2013 at 7:41 pm
Last Post: Davidthegoliath
  What Is The Point Of Prayer? BrianSoddingBoru4 306 113338 August 26, 2013 at 7:34 am
Last Post: Bad Writer
  What's the point? The Reality Salesman01 22 6431 July 9, 2013 at 11:32 am
Last Post: evenheathen
  I am at a weak point. Freedom 14 3575 March 31, 2013 at 10:06 pm
Last Post: Aractus
  ZION OLYMPICS point indirectly to AUSTRALIA Stevie 9 5775 July 21, 2012 at 8:51 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko