Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 6, 2024, 8:42 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is ET calling home?
Is ET calling home?
Consider that the info comes from foxnews, take it with a grain of salt, but who knows...

Quote:The recent discovery of Gliese 581g, an alien planet in the habitable zone of another star, has been an exciting development for scientists probing the galaxy for signs of extraterrestrial life. At least one claim of a possible signal from the planet has already surfaced – and been met with harsh skepticism among the science community.

Following the Sept. 29 announcement of the discovery of Gliese 581g, astronomer Ragbir Bhathal, a scientist at the University of Western Sydney, claimed to have detected a suspicious pulse of light nearly two years ago, that came from the same area of the galaxy as the location of Gliese 581g, according to the U.K.'s Daily Mail online.

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/10/1...latestnews
RE: Is ET calling home?
Oh no, a weird pulse of light. That automatically means life, right? Of course it does...
Eeyore Wrote:Thanks for noticing.
It could be anything. Personally I'm hoping it's mostly vacant. As awesome as it would be to meet intelligent aliens (and shock humanity by dating one, lol) it's not worth a probable intergalactic nuclear war. Human's aren't tolerant, even if other organisms would be; we'd nuke the s**t out of intelligent life in no time flat. An empty planet, on the other hand, can just be used to solve the population problem for a few more thousand years.
Anything that appears on FOX is almost certainly wrong.
(October 13, 2010 at 7:57 pm)R-e-n-n-a-t Wrote: It could be anything. Personally I'm hoping it's mostly vacant. As awesome as it would be to meet intelligent aliens (and shock humanity by dating one, lol) it's not worth a probable intergalactic nuclear war. Human's aren't tolerant, even if other organisms would be; we'd nuke the s**t out of intelligent life in no time flat. An empty planet, on the other hand, can just be used to solve the population problem for a few more thousand years.

Aren't you being a bit overdramatic you are implying that humans have no empathy, considering all those environmentalist nutties who concern life in general more important than human life
(October 13, 2010 at 7:57 pm)R-e-n-n-a-t Wrote: It could be anything. Personally I'm hoping it's mostly vacant. As awesome as it would be to meet intelligent aliens (and shock humanity by dating one, lol) it's not worth a probable intergalactic nuclear war. Human's aren't tolerant, even if other organisms would be; we'd nuke the s**t out of intelligent life in no time flat. An empty planet, on the other hand, can just be used to solve the population problem for a few more thousand years.

Bit paranoid aren't we?

Given that we've had nuclear weapons for only 65 years or so, and the universe had 6-7 billion years to get an earlier lineage of evolution going somewhere else before our ~4.0 billion year lineage started on earth, I suspect the odds of us running into someone intelligent, technological, and we can shove around is vanishingly small. Most likely we will be obliterated without a trace should we attempt to make ourselves inconvenient for any intelligent, technological species we encounter.

Other astronomers are questioning whether Gliese 581g actually exists. It seems others aren't finding the same (planetary) signal in the data. So its still an open question.
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

- Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero