Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 5:50 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chilean Mine Rescue
Chilean Mine Rescue
Hats off to the engineers who have so far extracted 22 men from the bowels of the earth.

Now. How long until some religious shitwad starts calling it a miracle and giving his/her fucking god all the credit?
RE: Chilean Mine Rescue
Hopefully, they will refrain.

Those are some damn lucky families. I would go to Disneyland after that.
Too late. They're fighting over who's magic man is the savior!
Quote:We've all heard about the Chilean miners trapped in a cave-in, who have been sustained for over two months by supplies delivered through a narrow tunnel drilled down to them. Their rescue is imminent, with an escape tunnel being drilled and almost at their position — they should be out this week. Personally, I credit technology with saving them, but…three religious groups are squabbling over which version of god deserves thanks...
http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2010/..._their.php
Let's just be glad they were rescued and let them pray to which ever wizard they want to pray to...you'll see that when the excitement clears up no one will give a shit anymore.
Quote:"An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity. "
Martin Luther King, Jr.
(October 13, 2010 at 4:42 pm)Synackaon Wrote: Too late. They're fighting over who's magic man is the savior!

I spoke too soon.

(October 13, 2010 at 4:48 pm)Shell B Wrote:
(October 13, 2010 at 4:42 pm)Synackaon Wrote: Too late. They're fighting over who's magic man is the savior!

I spoke too soon.

These people are nothing if not predictable.

One word can say it all.

Predictable!
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
(October 13, 2010 at 4:45 pm)HeyItsZeus Wrote: Let's just be glad they were rescued and let them pray to which ever wizard they want to pray to...you'll see that when the excitement clears up no one will give a shit anymore.

Might take a while,there's a lot of money and political mileage to be made from the the story,tabloid stories about life underground,Oprah.

Here ,bringing them up was shown live live. I watched one,thought "go and buy a lottery ticket mate" then watched a documentary about England.
I read the story in the Metro and I must say I'm touched by this heart-warming story. The miner's couldn't care less for human perseverance that saved them, nor for our technology, T130 drill was not required. Their ordeal ended with a prayer "God saves".

The family of Florencio Avalos sobbing away and proclaiming this was "a miracle from God" as he was the first to be rescued. Mario Sepulveda praying for God envisioning he was "with God and the devil and he reached out for God".

Clearly, these men have reached enlightenment, and we must reflect upon how amazing God is in times of disaster and his awesome ability to save all. We only have to look at but a few examples to know that God is just so wonderful:

USA
Acmar, AL Mine No. 3 Explosion, May 1922 - 11 dead.
Acmar, AL Mine No. 6 Explosion, Jul 1941 - 7 dead.
Belle Ellen, AL Mine Fire, Sept 1897 - 5 dead.
Birmingham, AL Banner Coal Mine Explosion, Jun 1917 - 6 dead.
Palos, AL No 3 Coal Mine Explosion, May 1910 - 200 dead.
Piper, AL Little Cahaba Coal Co Mine Accident, May 1925 - 6 dead.

http://www.gendisasters.com/mines/

Wales, UK
Aberfan, collapse of a colliery spoil-tip, Oct 1966 - 116 children and 28 adults dead.
Gresford, explosion, September 22, 1934 - 266 dead.
Marine Colliery explosion, 1 March 1927 - 52 dead.
Senghenydd Colliery Disaster, 14 October 1913 - 439 dead.

That's not the antidepressants talking... God saves people... he really does. >.>
Again, was there ever any doubt that a bunch of ignorant peasants would trumpet their superstition? Or that the con artists would be there to take full advantage?

If they 'prayed' and no one was digging they'd all be dead.

A "miracle" would be if they all appeared on the surface without someone digging an escape tunnel.

Humanity still has a long way to go to reach enlightenment.