Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 7:53 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fractals and the Mandelbrot set
Fractals and the Mandelbrot set
I taught some of my 12th graders about fractal dimension the other day as a kind of bonus topic, and that prompted me to look at what people are doing with fractals nowadays. They are kind of out of fashion after being totally en vogue in the 70s, but I still find them as fascinating as ever.

What I find fascinating about them is that these whole worlds of infinite complexity and detail arise from the simplest mathematical prescriptions one can imagine.

So for example, if you take a number in the complex plane, c, and then plug that into the formula

z=z^2+c

again and again, you can let the computer draw those points c with a computer that yield a finite result, and if you want you can color-code how quickly the numbers diverge. This is what you get zooming in, just from the formula z=z^2+c

Note that you encounter tiny copies of the same similar structures again and again at smaller and smaller orders of magnitude, but they *never* repeat exactly. If that doesn't make you think, I don't know what to tell you.

When B. Mandelbrot discovered this formula, he hacked it into the best computer with a plotter that he could find, and this is what he got:

[Image: 5e6cdb9f5d03a57edafb8ef6f74e1b29.jpg]

I don't think he imagined what this structure would turn out to be.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

RE: Fractals and the Mandelbrot set
Here's the guy, telling a story related to that

The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

That's a plot of Kirk Douglas swollen lips and cleft chin.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Must.. Not.. Watch.. The.. Video..
On topic, I spent a couple hours researching fractals and I'm completely fascinated by them.
I remember running the program to draw mandelbrot sets on a BBC micro in the '80's (using Basic!) it took hours to draw but totally fascinating how I could zoom in for ever (each zoom took longer and longer to calculate!!)
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A set S is composed of 20 multi-colored objects WinterHold 21 2150 March 22, 2020 at 11:10 am
Last Post: Fireball
  Benoit Mandelbrot, fractals pioneer, dies orogenicman 1 2318 October 17, 2010 at 6:59 am
Last Post: LastPoet