Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 10:58 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eclipse pictures.
Eclipse pictures.
Anybody here taken pictures of a solar eclipse before? 

The kid has an iphone 6 and a tripod he thinks he's gonna use. Does he need a special filter? Magnification?

I read that he should practice with moon shots. 

This is just geek fun, the easier the better.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
RE: Eclipse pictures.
Landscape shots during all stages of the eclipse sure.

A nice close up of a solar prominence arching off into space??

Hell no.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

I would go so far as to advise EVERYONE to not bother trying to take eclipse pictures (other than landscapes to show the changing illumination) as even a 500 mm telephoto isn't going to make all that big of an image scale. Professionals are going to get FANTASTIC close up pictures of the sun and they are going to be all over the internet.

Totality is only around 2 1/2 minutes, I'd hate to see people waste time trying to get AWFUL pictures of the eclipsed sun when they could be enjoying looking at the majesty and spectacle of what for the vast majority of folks is going to be a once in a lifetime experience.

And as for landscapes, set up a couple of Go Pros (or whatever you have) well before totality, and just let them run. You don't need to be farting around with them during Bailey's Beads, Diamond Ring and totality.

Just enjoy the damn eclipse !!!
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

I have a Celestron "Eclipse safe" telescope and a bracket to mount my cell phone on the eyepiece. Should be an interesting experiment.
I'm not sure I've said this before, but in this particular case, I'm lucky to be living in Columbia, SC.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
(August 1, 2017 at 11:26 am)Mister Agenda Wrote: I'm not sure I've said this before, but in this particular case, I'm lucky to be living in Columbia, SC.

Yep, my younger brother is going out to visit relatives there inspired by the opportunity to see the eclipse.
I've been pouring over maps, trying to work up some strategies. Bad thing is, day of and the weather forecast can change everything.

Weird, my odds of seeing the '79 eclipse were about zero and I don't remember any anxiety or doubt that I would get to see it regardless, and I did. This time around, the doubts are really nagging, and shit, it's Nebraska in August, how hard can this be ??

I have taken (not great) photos of the entire solar disc when *not* in eclipse with a solar-filter equipped 10" Schmidt-Cassegrain. Back in the 70's I took a photo of totality with a 110 film camera. The results of the latter were shit.

Eclipse photos with inferior equipment (e.g. any point and shoot camera amongst others), is going to be disappointing, and could be dangerous if not done correctly.
(August 1, 2017 at 11:26 am)Mister Agenda Wrote: I'm not sure I've said this before, but in this particular case, I'm lucky to be living in Columbia, SC.

I'm lucky that my dad lives directly in the path of totality a short distance away from where the umbra first hits the west coast.
(August 1, 2017 at 10:23 am)vorlon13 Wrote: Totality is only around 2 1/2 minutes, I'd hate to see people waste time trying to get AWFUL pictures of the eclipsed sun when they could be enjoying looking at the majesty and spectacle of what for the vast majority of folks is going to be a once in a lifetime experience.

QFT.  Take crowd shots for memory's sake, but look up at totality so you don't miss it.  There will be more than enough pros fussing with massive rigs of sun-tracking devices, multiple cameras and every conceivable kind of filter, and even their very best does not do a total eclipse justice.