Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 9:52 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pope Takes A Crack At Fucking Over The WLB
Pope Takes A Crack At Fucking Over The WLB
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/02/world...c=rss&_r=0

Quote:VATICAN CITY — Two close associates of Pope Francis have accused American Catholic ultraconservatives of making an alliance of “hate” with evangelical Christians to back President Trump, further alienating a group already out of the Vatican’s good graces.
The authors, writing in a Vatican-vetted journal, singled out Stephen K. Bannon, Mr. Trump’s chief strategist, as a “supporter of an apocalyptic geopolitics” that has stymied action against climate change and exploited fears of migrants and Muslims with calls for “walls and purifying deportations.”
The article warns that conservative American Catholics have strayed dangerously into the deepening political polarization in the United States. The writers even declare that the worldview of American evangelical and hard-line Catholics, which is based on a literal interpretation of the Bible, is “not too far apart’’ from jihadists.

I'm sure catholick churches will be burned across the south..... not the worst thing that can happen.
RE: Pope Takes A Crack At Fucking Over The WLB
How can an 'ultraconservative' Catholic cotton to a twice divorced and thrice married adulterer ??

What am I not getting here ??
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Though I have been an atheist for many years now I was, like many, raised in the christian religion. Lately I have begun to wonder if there will be an American version of Dietrich Bonhoeffer; at least one semi-well-know christian leader who will challenge the American christians who worship and support the Der Trumpster. Maybe the time for such has past, with virtually every flavor of christian ideology now too deeply corrupted to engender any real opposition to greed and selfishness.

And it is an open question; if such a person should step up and bring with them a sizable contingent of like minded believers, would those of us who are already jaded when it come to anything religious be too skeptical to accept them as allies when it comes to opposing Trump and the Republican Party?
(August 2, 2017 at 8:09 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: How can an 'ultraconservative' Catholic cotton to a twice divorced and thrice married adulterer ??

What am I not getting here ??

The hypocrisy of believers.
We've seen plainly worded (but apparently inconvenient) Bible verses explained as meaning the exact opposite of what they (seem) to say here more than once.

I guess no surprise if even the most pious and obedient Christians can nevertheless slither up to a remarkable apostate and claim he's the Second Coming.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

How does an eternal and unchanging God inspire such um . . . .

uh . . .

flexibility

in his devout followers ??

(August 2, 2017 at 9:27 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: How does an eternal and unchanging God inspire such um . . . .

uh . . .

flexibility

in his devout followers ??

It was that sort of hypocrisy visible to my 11 year old self that started the long road to atheism. Given the shit the RCC does even today, it's a wonder their heads don't explode. But then, given that they have run the con this long, I guess it should be expected.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
Adds credibility to the idea the church poohbahs know it's all made up bullshit anyhow, and if something comes along that requires twisting, pounding, subverting or contradicting long established church doctrine to accommodate, they will take their chances pissing off a God they made up. And the pew warmers aren't supposed to notice.

(August 2, 2017 at 8:50 pm)tjakey Wrote: Though I have been an atheist for many years now I was, like many, raised in the christian religion. Lately I have begun to wonder if there will be an American version of Dietrich Bonhoeffer; at least one semi-well-know christian leader who will challenge the American christians who worship and support the Der Trumpster.  Maybe the time for such has past, with virtually every flavor of christian ideology now too deeply corrupted to engender any real opposition to greed and selfishness.

And it is an open question; if such a person should step up and bring with them a sizable contingent of like minded believers, would those of us  who are already jaded when it come to anything religious be too skeptical to accept them as allies when it comes to opposing Trump and the Republican Party?

I don't give a shit about anyone's beliefs so long as they are decent.

And if they're not decent, all the other agreements in the world we might have won't get me cottoning to them.

(August 2, 2017 at 10:28 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: Adds credibility to the idea the church poohbahs know it's all made up bullshit anyhow, and if something comes along that requires twisting, pounding, subverting or contradicting long established church doctrine to accommodate, they will take their chances  pissing off a God they made up.  And the pew warmers aren't supposed to notice.

To flesh that out a little more, if you really were fronting for the Lord God Almighty, Creator of the Heavens and the Earth, and you were completely aware of it, how could expediency or pragmatism EVER modify your beliefs??

Seriously, there'd be nothing a mere human could offer you that would even tempt you to fudge your fealty to His expressed edicts, strictures, rules, commandments and laws.

Trump is a litmus test for sincerity of belief, and look how good he is at snagging apostates and heretics for us !!!!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pope Francis apologises for Canada residential school harms zebo-the-fat 10 1278 April 5, 2022 at 6:57 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Ex-Pope Benedict XVI blames 1960s revolution for sex abuse zebo-the-fat 27 3317 April 17, 2019 at 10:55 am
Last Post: brewer
  Why do cardinals get to elect the Pope? Fake Messiah 26 1318 March 13, 2019 at 11:17 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  Pope Fuckface Is Either Losing His Mind Or Remembered How The Church Traditionally Minimalist 12 2119 October 10, 2018 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Pope's visit to Ireland turning into a fiasco? Fake Messiah 11 2232 August 27, 2018 at 12:48 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Pope Francis condemns child sex abuse and Church cover-ups zebo-the-fat 23 3548 August 20, 2018 at 5:33 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Pope says in interview that there is no hell. downbeatplumb 56 9705 April 16, 2018 at 8:53 pm
  Priest publicly wishes for Pope's quick death... c172 18 4773 March 22, 2018 at 1:10 am
Last Post: c172
  Catholics warring against the Pope? Fake Messiah 29 7412 November 27, 2017 at 6:52 am
  Pope Francis -- dogs go to Heaven! Jehanne 34 5444 October 19, 2017 at 3:46 am
Last Post: ignoramus