Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 8, 2024, 5:41 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi, I'm Lizzle.
Hi, I'm Lizzle.
Hello! I just realized that I probably should have introduced myself before making my first thread/rant.

I'm a 23 year old college student in school for my RN.

I've been an atheist for years.

I was raised as a catholic, got confirmed (against my wishes, but who could argue with received free gifts?), and then went through a period of agnosticism.

I have always been a firm believer in that which is proven by evidence. I don't have to tell you that I "believe" in science since it's fact and cannot be refuted. Upon learning about many other religious cultures, history, and scientifics, I can now say that I am an atheist and have been able to tell my immediate family about it, much to their dismay. Funny how none of them try to have a religious discussion with me. I'm pretty sure they are well aware that I can easily refute many things that they may say.

Regardless, I respect that different people have different beliefs. I just think that these people should also respect the fact that I may believe differently. I enjoy intelligent discussions. Big Grin
Show me your proof/back up your claims and then I will consider your argument. That's only fair.
RE: Hi, I'm Lizzle.
Hello, Lizzle. I'm Shelly. Welcome.
Hi, thanks, Shelly!
Show me your proof/back up your claims and then I will consider your argument. That's only fair.
Hi, Liz, I like your rat picture. (that is a rat, right?)
[Image: siggy2_by_Cego_Colher.jpg]
Hello, and welcome. I just wanted to address one comment you made. The very nature of science is that it can be falsified. And by that, I mean that hypotheses can be verified or not by observation and experimentation, and is repeatable by others, unlike religion, which is axiomatic in nature, and based on personal revelation, only. Anyway, welcome to the forums.
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

- Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero
It's actually a little mouse of mine. Smile

Orogenicman, you are absolutely correct. I simplified what I said far too much, and I have had discussions about this. For example, it used to be fact that 'the earth revolves around the sun,' and clearly that has been disproven. So yes, you are completely correct and I agree with what you are saying. Wink
Quote:I was raised as a catholic

Ooof... bad start. At least you were a girl. That seems to be less dangerous around priests.
Hello hello hello!
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
(October 15, 2010 at 1:18 pm)Lizzle Wrote: Upon learning about many other religious cultures, history, and scientifics, I can now say that I am an atheist and have been able to tell my immediate family about it, much to their dismay. Funny how none of them try to have a religious discussion with me. I'm pretty sure they are well aware that I can easily refute many things that they may say.

I'm in a similar boat on the family thing. Welcome to the forums.
Our Daily Train blog at jeremystyron.com

---
We have lingered in the chambers of the sea | By sea-girls wreathed with seaweed red and brown | Till human voices wake us, and we drown. — T.S. Eliot

"... man always has to decide for himself in the darkness, that he must want beyond what he knows. ..." — Simone de Beauvoir

"As if that blind rage had washed me clean, rid me of hope; for the first time, in that night alive with signs and stars, I opened myself to the gentle indifference of the world. Finding it so much like myself—so like a brother, really—I felt that I had been happy and that I was happy again." — Albert Camus, "The Stranger"
---
Hows it goin?
Quote:"An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity. "
Martin Luther King, Jr.