Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 9:50 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Founders
Founders
I would like to know what others think about a line of thinking that I have recently been thinking about. It's very simple. Is there any reason to consider believing in a religion or joining one if the founder of that religion cannot be personally interviewed because they have died or as some believe, risen from the dead and ascended into the sky.

My thinking here is that it makes no sense to believe in a religion if you can't get information about it from the founder him or herself.
RE: Founders
You can interview me! Cofounder of the Church of the Provoloneans. We worship a giant log of Provolone cheese. I am currently the only member. The other guy became a Lutheran.
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

(August 5, 2017 at 4:14 pm)3equals8 Wrote: I would like to know what others think about a line of thinking that I have recently been thinking about. It's very simple. Is there any reason to consider believing in a religion or joining one if the founder of that religion cannot be personally interviewed because they have died or as some believe, risen from the dead and ascended into the sky.

My thinking here is that it makes no sense to believe in a religion if you can't get information about it from the founder him or herself.

How do you feel about the Bill of Rights or Constitution, or whatever your country specific documents of that nature are?
I'b be more concerned with these Johnnie-Come-Lately shitwits who come along later and re-define the dead guy who is no longer there to defend himself.  You know, guys like Joey Smith, David Koresh, John Wesley, Emanuel Swedenborg, John Nelson Darby, John Calvin, Martin Luther...those kind of shitwits.
Why don't you ask the Heaven's Gate members if having a live founder makes believing in a religion worth while. 

Oh, wait, never mind.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(August 5, 2017 at 4:14 pm)3equals8 Wrote: I would like to know what others think about a line of thinking that I have recently been thinking about. It's very simple. Is there any reason to consider believing in a religion or joining one if the founder of that religion cannot be personally interviewed because they have died or as some believe, risen from the dead and ascended into the sky.

I think that's a bloody silly position to take.  I can't get information on orbital mechanics directly from Johannes Kepler, but I still believe in them.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I wonder if he feels that way about Zeus?

L Ron Hubbard is dead, and people still lap that lizard shit up! I used to be a member of another atheist forum where one of the guys bought a robe at a thrift shop, and started walking around telling prophesies. People were following him around, asking for him to tell fortunes. One gal asked him (mind you, he's on a lark) about her family (it's been about 10 years, so I'm not getting the details exactly at this point), and he made some prediction about one of her family members. The bimbo started crying, and he tried to deny his prophesy, telling her that he wasn't a prophet, but she would only say that now he was just trying to console her because her family member was going to die.

People make shit up all the time. 3=8, you need to get that shit filter sorted out. If it looks like shit, it's probably shit.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
(August 5, 2017 at 4:18 pm)chimp3 Wrote: You can interview me! Cofounder of the Church of the Provoloneans. We worship a giant log of Provolone cheese. I am currently the only member. The other guy became a Lutheran.

Splitter!

That joke only really works if you've seen life of brian and realise its a pop at the popular front of Judea.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

OP, your premise is a little misinformed. You see, most theists talk directly with God and Jesus! (I think Jesus may be his secretary? Dunno)

It's like a batphone in their heads! Remarkable really, when you think about it. They really are a special lot, these theists.
No question too big or too small to answer with 100% knowledge. It just takes a few seconds to connect and hear the answer directly!
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.