Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 5:05 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Eclipse, the Eclipse!!
The Eclipse, the Eclipse!!
It's coming soon!!  Only 2 weeks away:

https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/

Anyone planning on seeing it?  I am going to drive 250 miles to Missouri, rain or shine!!  Already booked at Hotels.com 4 months ago!
RE: The Eclipse, the Eclipse!!
I am just 30 miles from Hopkinsville Ky that day.
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

(August 5, 2017 at 5:21 pm)chimp3 Wrote: I am just 30 miles from Hopkinsville Ky that day.

Wow, great spot!  You're also set for the 2024 eclipse:

https://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEgoogle/S...oogle.html
(August 5, 2017 at 5:26 pm)Jehanne Wrote:
(August 5, 2017 at 5:21 pm)chimp3 Wrote: I am just 30 miles from Hopkinsville Ky that day.

Wow, great spot!  You're also set for the 2024 eclipse:

https://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEgoogle/S...oogle.html

I will enjoy it from the rim of the crater lake in the eponymous national park.    Big Grin  Big Grin

Here are some shots I took there last year:

[Image: c475164d616540831bee553a622a6aeedc437a39.jpg]

[Image: aac940ad9fe2ee56e44059bb64eaf12e31daeff1.jpg]
My brother is headed to South Carolina where he will stay with an aunt who lives in the path of the total eclipse. I'm invited as well but I have a meeting that night about this year's superbloom in California. Am I crazy not to go too?
I'm headed out into the unverdant blight of westernish Nebraska.

Taking a cooler full of goodies and a camping toilet, just in case. Might take extra unleaded, there's no shortage of gas cans on my farm and I am anticipating a fucking nightmare from all the ding dongs I expect to encounter.

This will be my second eclipse, the first was 2/26/79.

I cannot stress enough, EVERYONE who can SHOULD make the attempt to be in the path of totality. Even if you are in an area with 99% coverage, it ain't the same, not even close.

And PLEASE, make the attempt to be near the center line, if on the edge of totality your 10 or 15 seconds will be something you will regret FOREVER.

My route could change last minute for weather concerns, but so far, I'm heading west, and avoiding I-80 like the plague.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

I'm around Vorly's vicinity but not planning on traveling that much. Depending on the expected cloud cover it'll either be a 2 hr drive or 5 hr drive (one way). Any more than that then fuck it. I'll just drive to where the party is. 

My last eclipse was 1963/partial.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I'm in NY. What are my chances of seeing anything good?
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
My last total eclipse was 1999 in Europe... have fun over there!
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(August 5, 2017 at 5:15 pm)Jehanne Wrote: It's coming soon!!  Only 2 weeks away:

https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/

Anyone planning on seeing it?  I am going to drive 250 miles to Missouri, rain or shine!!  Already booked at Hotels.com 4 months ago!

I was going to and then I realized it would be too dark to see anything.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Last Lunar Eclipse (until 2025) going on right now! Jehanne 15 1600 November 12, 2022 at 7:42 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Lunar eclipse happening now!! Jehanne 6 511 May 16, 2022 at 5:16 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Solar Eclipse. Science vs Pastor perspective TubbyTubby 22 4855 March 23, 2015 at 4:33 am
Last Post: Smaug
  Solar Eclipse May 9th Cinjin 8 3113 May 10, 2013 at 8:46 am
Last Post: Gearbreak
  Curiosity spots partial solar eclipse from surface of Mars Jackalope 0 1550 September 17, 2012 at 7:02 pm
Last Post: Jackalope