Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 11:31 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
23 and me
23 and me
Had a sis do the 23 and Me thing and we are having fun with the results, and a disappointment too.  From her name and some other details in the family history, we were fairly certain a great grandmother was Native American.  I was hoping for it as being more closely sync'd up with Dewey would be fun and it would fit in with the 'contrary' thing.  Well, she must not have been, cuz we are zip in that category.  We are a few percent Spanish/Portuguese, something I'm attributing to Admiral Nelson destroying the Spanish armada off the coast of Ireland and some survivors washing ashore and having their way with some of the fair Colleens they found there before they were disemboweled (something Cecil Adams assures us didn't happen, BTW).

We are MUCH less Irish than we suspected from the genealogy, a relief I suppose ( Shy ) and a little more British and a lot more Scottish.  (I still ain't trying no fucking Haggis).  We are much less German, some Austrian (was pretty sure that would turn up) and surprisingly, some Northern France and Belgian areas, and NO southern France, which I suspected since being informed by a coworker he had seen a grave stone in Carcassonne that plausibly might have been a connection.

And the big surprise:

Scandinavian, almost 25%.  LOL, where'd that come from ??  We have NOTHING in the family tree suggesting that was a possibility.

I realize there would be some difference between her and me, and I might at some point do one for me, but for a first run through this it was fun and surprising.

I want to do EZBUC#2.  I bet he is descended from cat royalty . . . .
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

RE: 23 and me
Your great grandmother may have been Native American and your sister just did not inherit any of her genes that were markers for Native Americans. Only12.5% of your genetic material was inherited from your great grandmother, the 'Native American bits' might just not be in that 12.5%.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
(August 11, 2017 at 10:02 am)vorlon13 Wrote: Had a sis do the 23 and Me thing and we are having fun with the results, and a disappointment too.  From her name and some other details in the family history, we were fairly certain a great grandmother was Native American.  I was hoping for it as being more closely sync'd up with Dewey would be fun and it would fit in with the 'contrary' thing.  Well, she must not have been, cuz we are zip in that category.  We are a few percent Spanish/Portuguese, something I'm attributing to Admiral Nelson destroying the Spanish armada off the coast of Ireland and some survivors washing ashore and having their way with some of the fair Colleens they found there before they were disemboweled (something Cecil Adams assures us didn't happen, BTW).

We are MUCH less Irish than we suspected from the genealogy, a relief I suppose ( Shy ) and a little more British and a lot more Scottish.  (I still ain't trying no fucking Haggis).  We are much less German, some Austrian (was pretty sure that would turn up) and surprisingly, some Northern France and Belgian areas, and NO southern France, which I suspected since being informed by a coworker he had seen a grave stone in Carcassonne that plausibly might have been a connection.

And the big surprise:

Scandinavian, almost 25%.  LOL, where'd that come from ??  We have NOTHING in the family tree suggesting that was a possibility.

I realize there would be some difference between her and me, and I might at some point do one for me, but for a first run through this it was fun and surprising.

I want to do EZBUC#2.  I bet he is descended from cat royalty . . . .

Nelson had nothing to do with the Spanish Armada. That was defeated by Drake in 1588 in the English Channel, with most of it sinking in storms off the Atlantic coast while slinking home (hence Spanish Point). Nelson turned his blind eye to orders at Copenhagen 1808 and died at Trafalgar in 1812.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
(August 11, 2017 at 10:02 am)vorlon13 Wrote: Admiral Nelson destroying the Spanish armada off the coast of Ireland...

Admiral Nelson.  Huh
(August 11, 2017 at 10:02 am)vorlon13 Wrote: Scandinavian, almost 25%.  LOL, where'd that come from ??  We have NOTHING in the family tree suggesting that was a possibility.

The Vikings got on in Ireland
(August 11, 2017 at 10:57 am)Anomalocaris Wrote:
(August 11, 2017 at 10:02 am)vorlon13 Wrote: Admiral Nelson destroying the Spanish armada off the coast of Ireland...

Admiral Nelson.  Huh
I think he meant Hornblower. 

Blush
Well, I did note Cecil Adams didn't buy any of it. Had fun relating my version of the story to sis, she was mortified at the possibility, I found her reaction hysterical. Why do the analysis if not prepared for some possible disturbing links ??

I am heartened to know the NA angle not ruled out yet. I'd be thrilled to share some Plains Indian stock with Dewey. Dewey had a grandparent, so he could go up to 25% I suppose. And his 'contrary' trait is actually all the confirmation I need, and my affinity towards it makes me wonder about myself.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(August 11, 2017 at 10:57 am)Anomalocaris Wrote:

Admiral Nelson.  Huh

I know a Father Nelson. Don't wrestle with him.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.