Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 9:01 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Music
Music
Why do the 'oldies' always think the old stuff was the best and that newer music is rubbish. It got me thinking.... it reminds me of religious belief. When these musical preferences are formed in the brain, they become fixed neurological pathways that are difficult (if not impossible) to break from and new musical forms probably just sound like beating white noise. The brain just doesn't have the ground work done to make any sense of, or to appreciate. The brain just resorts to what it knows and what it likes, what it understands and it assumes its just better music.
RE: Music
Music has sucked ever since the beginning of the 90"s. Now get off my lawn. 

I mean it. Don't make me get the hose.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(August 16, 2017 at 3:55 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: Music has sucked ever since the beginning of the 90"s. Now get off my lawn. 

I mean it. Don't make me get the hose.

Haha thanks for making my point. I didn't word this very well, but I'm most interested in the parallel between this and religion.
I tend to like what I was raised on. 

Although the music often contained fantasy, it did not require a belief that the fantasy was real. Ba-bye religion.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(August 16, 2017 at 4:08 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: I tend to like what I was raised on. 

Although the music often contained fantasy, it did not require a belief that the fantasy was real. Ba-bye religion.

Exactly. What you were raised on and you've stuck to a path you now can't leave. Like our religious friends. Its no more easier for me to argue that post 90's music is better to you, than to convince a religious fool their god is imaginary.
Most people tend to like the music they grew up with in their formative years, what they listened to and discussed with their friends in school.

I'm not that old but I tend to agree with Brewer.  Apart from a few outstanding exceptions, the music from the 90s onwards is terrible.

But then, most of the music I really like came out before I was born.

Apparently my soul is an old fart.
Dying to live, living to die.
(August 16, 2017 at 4:19 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Most people tend to like the music they grew up with in their formative years, what they listened to and discussed with their friends in school.

I'm not that old but I tend to agree with Brewer.  Apart from a few outstanding exceptions, the music from the 90s onwards is terrible.

No I doubt it. We only remember the best songs from yester years and the enormous amounts of rubbish are just forgotten. I'd like to know what your outstanding exceptions were.
(August 16, 2017 at 4:25 pm)Haydn2 Wrote:
(August 16, 2017 at 4:19 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Most people tend to like the music they grew up with in their formative years, what they listened to and discussed with their friends in school.

No I doubt it. We only remember the best songs from yester years and the enormous amounts of rubbish are just forgotten. I'd like to know what your outstanding exceptions were.

I find that mostly the outstanding exceptions tend to be more bands/people, than songs.

A couple of them for me are Robbie Williams and, believe it or not, The Bloodhound Gang.

I usually loathe anything hip-hop or rap, but the music of The Bloodhound Gang is done in such a way that it's humourous and fun.
Dying to live, living to die.
There's a South Park episode about this, Stan gets old and all the new music he hears sounds literally like shit.

His dad hears the same thing but he's still pretending to like it.

I wouldn't say all new music sounds shit to me but all my favourite songs and involve the guitar and they're from previous decades.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

Quote:Why do the 'oldies' always think the old stuff was the best and that newer music is rubbish.

Because when we hear it we say "what is that fucking rubbish."

Just today I was listening to a rap song.  I didn't want to listen to it.  Some asshole four cars away was blasting it in his car while we waited for a light to change and all I could think was "I hope you go deaf."

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New vagus nerve stimulator to hit the market. It's set to music through headphones. brewer 4 1090 February 18, 2016 at 9:06 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Calculus, Logic, Music and the Human Brain Statler Waldorf 132 61369 October 27, 2011 at 7:01 pm
Last Post: Statler Waldorf