Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 6:41 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Testimony is Evidence
Testimony is Evidence
From this thread here at the request of others, I am giving my reasons for why testimony is evidence.

To start, I would like to define the terms.  

Evidence:  The available body of facts or information indicating whether a belief or proposition is true or valid. [OD] If you look up evidence in various dictionaries [MW] [CD] You will get a number of definitions which equate that which indicates that something is true.  You will also see a number of examples, and many of which will include "testimony" listed under evidence.  I chose the above, because; we are discussing testimony and it seems circular, to include that in the definition.  Also I find it to be more descriptive of what evidence is (rather than what is evidence).

Testimony:  Dictionaries seem to be worse in the case of "testimony" [MW][OD] with giving examples, rather than what I feel is a true definition.  Many offer examples involving a court room, and someone being sworn in.  And in a circular fashion, the definition of "testimony", often then refers back to "evidence"  From previous studies, I have liked the definitions found in discussion of the epistemology of testimony such as here  and the definition that I am using, is that "testimony" is the transfer of knowledge from one person to another with the assertion that this information is true (this may be written or spoken).  Also, speaking specifically about witness testimony, which is testimony concerning something that the testifier either seen or otherwise experienced and then passes this information on to another.

At this point, at it's base, I think that witness testimony by it's definition is evidence.  It is a transfer of knowledge (information) from one person who experienced some thing, so that a another person (who did not witness it personally), to indicate that a belief of proposition is valid.  I do think that this it is the normative view, that testimony is evidence.  If you look at the definitions which I referenced, each often includes the other.  In addition at least in the U.S. this is the case, as I previously posted a lawyers Q&A site, as evidence for testimony here and here This includes a number of people who have made it their life's work to practice and study the law.  Some as I think any good lawyer should avoid answering, citing that they cannot make a determination without more details.  However the majority strongly state that testimony is evidence, and that it can be the only evidence to convict someone.  

While I think that any changes in regard to the nature of testimony as evidence are fairly recent, it is possible that I am basing my experience in the U.S. which would differ in another location and culture.  Also, I think that the question as I am posing it, is more if testimony should be evidence, rather than whether for your particular location it is currently considered so or not.

In opposition to testimony as evidence, the arguments are that it has flaws or vulnerabilities.  And I'm certain that we will get to discussing these in more detail as people bring them up.  I think that anything involving humans, will have flaws and mistakes.  It is part of our nature.  Concerning witness testimony, I generally view these in two categories.  Those that are common to all testimony be it witness testimony, expert testimony, the testimony of a scientist, or historian or other person of authority.  The other category, involves those things involved with a person witnessing something and recalling that information for future use.  I think that it is the burden of those agaisnt testimony as evidence to show that these flaws make it unreasonable for it to be used as evidence.

With the motive of conserving time and wasted energy, this time around I want to be up front and directly state, that I don't think that all testimony is good, or that everything should be believed as true. It's not just a black and white issue.   I think that we should test our witnesses, look for corroborating evidence even in the form other independent testimony.  Also as evidence; what was witnessed, and testified to; depends on how much the information indicates that the proposition is true.  Testimony, may be true, but not very useful in making one's case for various reasons.  I also think that we should take into consideration any reason to doubt the testimony of an individual as well as evidence for the opposing case. As well, my focus in more on the general principles involved concerning witness testimony, rather than any specific case.  As such, I will likely examine and test any reasoning given; in other contexts.
It is said that an argument is what convinces reasonable men and a proof is what it takes to convince even an unreasonable man.  - Alexander Vilenkin
If I am shown my error, I will be the first to throw my books into the fire.  - Martin Luther
RE: Testimony is Evidence
I saw an invisible dragon in my garage today when I got home.

(August 21, 2017 at 9:12 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: I saw an invisible dragon in my garage today when I got home.

Well, slap my ass and call me Suzie!  Dragons are real!
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
Testimony has to be backed up with other evidence. Otherwise you could just lie, like accusing someone of being a witch. Did Salem really have a bad witch problem? Unlikely, but that's what it's famous for. That's all the good testimony can get you. A bunch of people rose from the dead and walked the streets, and 500 people witnessed it. We don't know anything about these people. Only that there were 500 of them.

You can't believe everything people tell you, unless they can back it up with something else. People lie. That's the problem with testimony.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

So were doing this again . Are you a masochist road ?
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

(August 21, 2017 at 9:27 pm)Tizheruk Wrote: So were doing this again . Are you a masochist road ?

Wheren't you one of those who was criticizing me for not discussing?
But if you have something to add, or think part of what I said is incorrect...let's here it.
It is said that an argument is what convinces reasonable men and a proof is what it takes to convince even an unreasonable man.  - Alexander Vilenkin
If I am shown my error, I will be the first to throw my books into the fire.  - Martin Luther
(August 21, 2017 at 9:12 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: I saw an invisible dragon in my garage today when I got home.

Angry Give it back! It's MINE! There is only one, is how I know! I swear it!
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
(August 21, 2017 at 9:27 pm)Tizheruk Wrote: So were doing this again . Are you a masochist road ?

It's my fault...

*hangs head in shame*
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
(August 21, 2017 at 9:21 pm)Chad32 Wrote: People lie. That's the problem with testimony.

That's one problem. The can also misinterpret what they see. They aren't necessarily in on the context of their observations, too.

Only if I can cross examine the witness, dummy.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Video Neurosurgeon Provides Evidence Against Materialism Guard of Guardians 41 4233 June 17, 2019 at 10:40 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  The Philosophy of Mind: Zombies, "radical emergence" and evidence of non-experiential Edwardo Piet 82 11648 April 29, 2018 at 1:57 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Testimony: Are we being hypocritical? LadyForCamus 86 8753 November 22, 2017 at 11:37 pm
Last Post: Martian Mermaid
  Is the statement "Claims demand evidence" always true? Mudhammam 268 31301 February 3, 2017 at 6:44 pm
Last Post: WisdomOfTheTrees
  Anecdotal Evidence RoadRunner79 395 51699 December 14, 2016 at 2:53 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  What philosophical evidence is there against believing in non-physical entities? joseph_ 150 12415 September 3, 2016 at 11:26 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  The nature of evidence Wryetui 150 15302 May 6, 2016 at 6:21 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Witness Evidence RoadRunner79 248 36140 December 17, 2015 at 7:23 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence RoadRunner79 184 29662 November 13, 2015 at 12:17 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Miracles are useless as evidence Pizza 0 1228 March 15, 2015 at 7:37 pm
Last Post: Pizza