Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 6:54 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The phobia thread
The phobia thread
This thread is to learn everything you wanted to know about phobias but were afraid to ask!

(caveat: no suitable for anyone who has a fear of people with phobias)

Here is where we discuss our irrational fears and phobias without ridicule.

I'd firstly like to confess that my agoraphobia has gotten so bad, I now feel like an outsider.
And also my fear of cars is driving me up the wall!

Big Grin
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
RE: The phobia thread
I am extremely uncomfortable regarding bats.

Considering the rabies angle, I do not consider it a phobia.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Heights. Acquired about the same time I started wearing glasses at age 12.

Maybe if you can't see it you're not aware that you should be afraid.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
This thread scares me.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Actually, I am extremely acrophobic, probably due to almost falling out of a fifteenth-storey window when I was about four. It's a weird phobia, since, unlike other phobias that make you avoid whatever it is, acrophobia makes you fight against putting yourself in further danger. So if I'm on a cliff or something, I have to consciously stop myself going towards the edge.

I'm also arachnophobic. Hairy Japanese bastards.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
I don't think I have any actual phobias. I don't want to call a normal fear a phobia. There are people who are immature and unable to control their temper, but they call themselves bipolar to justify it. There's no diagnosis, they're just shitty people. A person who actually suffers from being bipolar has to deal with a lot in their lives and they struggle immensely. Same thing. I'm afraid of heights, but I still manage to get up there and sit down and enjoy the view. Won't call it a phobia. I'm afraid of gross bugs. So much. But! If a chick at work asks me to kill one, all of a sudden I'm brave as fuck. Yeah, no phobia there. I hate pickles. The smell, the texture, the taste. I don't even like looking at them. Yet, I hand em over to my pickle loving son anytime. So, no phobias. I'm just an easily scared lady who sucks it up and goes on with her life. I can't imagine what people with actual phobias deal with. It must be tough. I'd love to hear from their angle what it's like to live with a phobia.
"Hipster is what happens when young hot people do what old ladies do." -Exian
(August 25, 2017 at 1:10 pm)Cyberman Wrote: This thread scares me.

^^^^

this post scares me !!!
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Panic
I'm terrified of dead fish. Especially if the fish are just drying out in the sun or something... eek. It sounds like a stupid fear but I've had a few traumatizing experiences with dead fish, and it's something about how helpless they are when they're stuck on land or being eaten by other fish that just gets to me. Fish can't scream for help no matter how bad things get, so they just... die. Sad
(August 25, 2017 at 1:19 pm)Cyberman Wrote: Actually, I am extremely acrophobic, probably due to almost falling out of a fifteenth-storey window when I was about four. It's a weird phobia, since, unlike other phobias that make you avoid whatever it is, acrophobia makes you fight against putting yourself in further danger. So if I'm on a cliff or something, I have to consciously stop myself going towards the edge.

I'm also arachnophobic. Hairy Japanese bastards.

If I get closer than two body lengths to a visible edge where the fall would seriously injure me I start sweating. Qualified phobia?

Kinda put a damper on the visit to the grand canyon.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The "You really mustn't derail this thread" thread. Edwardo Piet 69 8341 January 19, 2016 at 1:14 pm
Last Post: brewer
  The "You really must derail this thread" thread. Marsellus Wallace 20 4008 January 19, 2016 at 7:15 am
Last Post: ignoramus