Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 8:50 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Genetically modified .... humans
Question 
Genetically modified .... humans
Humans have already shown that it’s going to be a slippery slope when designer babies pick up full steam. PGD is widely used around the world currently to allow parents to select some of the traits of their children, such as gender and eye color.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/...-children/

First genetically modified human embryo happened this year.

http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-med...-concerns/

Is genetic modification of humans to remove genetic illnesses like some cancers, color blindness, Sickle-Cell, Hemophilia, etc. a matter of if or a matter of when? A U.S. Panel has already endorsed it for these serious diseases.

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/60363...s-disease/

Ethically and morally I see it as a positive thing. The ability to remove genetic diseases from the world is huge in and of itself, and I think it more than overcomes the possible abuse by parents to make perfect little designer babies. But we live in a capitalist world so is it just going to become yet another way that the 1% is “better” than the rest of us? Or on the other end what about genetic mistakes happening in third world countries doing bargain basement genetic modifications?

So do you think the benefits of genetically modified humans outweigh the negatives?
ForDebating.com is now in beta. 

We have 1v1 and 2v2 debates working and will have up to 16-man tourneys working soon.

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/fordebating 
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWAd2N-...4lsJZjr6GQ
RE: Genetically modified .... humans
Weeding out diseases from the gene pool seems good. Thwarting evolution seems highly dangerous, though. In particular, I think certain phenotypes will become so overwhelmingly dominant that if they are selected out due to environmental pressures, it could be a massive hit.
I suspect the cost will prevent its widespread usage.
(September 15, 2017 at 7:42 pm)bennyboy Wrote: Weeding out diseases from the gene pool seems good.  Thwarting evolution seems highly dangerous, though.  In particular, I think certain phenotypes  will become so overwhelmingly dominant that if they are selected out due to environmental pressures, it could be a massive hit.

Genetic engineering is hardly thwarting evolution. Humans evolution has been dominated by phenotype selection based on sexual attractiveness of a type that could have no direct survival benefit whatsoever since before we were humans.

(September 15, 2017 at 7:42 pm)bennyboy Wrote: Weeding out diseases from the gene pool seems good.  Thwarting evolution seems highly dangerous, though.  In particular, I think certain phenotypes  will become so overwhelmingly dominant that if they are selected out due to environmental pressures, it could be a massive hit.

The flip side is genes for disease that tend to kill before the victim reaches reproductive age almost certainly convey hidden but substantial benefits strong enough to make the gene survive despite its evident direct effect in reducing the reproductive success of its carrier.
This is an interesting ethical question. I think it would be great to modify genes that cause diseases, but to take it past that would be immoral I think. I can definitely see this as easily becoming a slippery slope.

You should watch the movie Gatacka. It's great, and deals with this issue.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
I'm disabled, and my worry is that by trying to eradicate a disability, you may have complications that cause worse, more complicated, disabilities that we don't even know about yet.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
(September 15, 2017 at 8:46 pm)c172 Wrote: I'm disabled, and my worry is that by trying to eradicate a disability, you may have complications that cause worse, more complicated, disabilities that we don't even know about yet.

You disability is not a genetic syndrome though. But I see what you are saying. It's a valid concern.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
(September 15, 2017 at 8:00 pm)Minimalist Wrote: I suspect the cost will prevent its widespread usage.

CRISPR Cas9 is cheap. And this is how they'll do it. Once they improve the accuracy, it will be available to almost everyone.

The ethical implications are not easy to solve, but I think the biggest thing is that we cannot allow any changes or modifications enter the genome. This is something that medical ethicists are agreed on.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(September 15, 2017 at 8:59 pm)SteelCurtain Wrote:
(September 15, 2017 at 8:00 pm)Minimalist Wrote: I suspect the cost will prevent its widespread usage.

CRISPR Cas9 is cheap. And this is how they'll do it. Once they improve the accuracy, it will be available to almost everyone.

The ethical implications are not easy to solve, but I think the biggest thing is that we cannot allow any changes or modifications enter the genome. This is something that medical ethicists are agreed on.

GMO corn is planted next to fields of "regular" corn, and those modifications are gradually spreading through the rest of the genome from the pollen being free and easy on the wind. Think "killer bees", and you get the idea. There is no way that the modifications will be kept out of the rest of the gene pool. The modifications will eventually spread.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
I once took a genetics class and the teacher pointed out that we've been modifying genes since the days where we figured out how to make those little grasses grow bigger until they became the wheat we know and love today, and that, honestly, it's more than a little hypocritical to be against it only when we've figured out how to do it directly.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Humans need not apply - the case for the universal basic income Heywood 23 7192 January 22, 2015 at 2:10 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger