Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 9:52 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finding your roots: DNA analysis for dummies.
Finding your roots: DNA analysis for dummies.
My girlfriend is interested in knowing more about her genetic background.

The rub is, she wants to know about her father's ancestry.  The official story from her mother is that her father was killed in a car accident in the late 1960's.  She has been told by another relative that this story is not true, and that her father is very much alive.

Her mother's side of the family is predominantly Scandinavian, her father is either unknown, or is possibly Filipino with who knows what else.

She isn't necessarily interested in calling out mom and dad on the lie - if it is indeed a lie - but she wants to know where she is from.

Does anyone know if there are DNA tests that can tell something about the paternal line in females?  It seems to me that neither Y chromosome or mitochondrial DNA ain't gonna work.
RE: Finding your roots: DNA analysis for dummies.
I can't offer much advice on how to get the information, but before submitting DNA to any company, be sure to get the privacy protection and usage restriction policies in writing.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
I really can't see how an analysis of her DNA is going to help.
It's amazing 'science' always seems to 'find' whatever it is funded for, and never the oppsite. Drich.
I doubt it. I spent way more time than anyone should in the foster care system and they couldn't track down my biological father in any way after my mom became too stroke-y to take care of herself, let alone me as well, so unless they've got something on hand already, your own DNA ain't enough. I am a bit curious about it though, since even though I have (or had, when I was a kid) red hair and have primarily identified as Caucasian all my life, I've had people ask if I'm Hispanic, and even, recently, Arab (probably because of how I style my facial hair).
Religions were invented to impress and dupe illiterate, superstitious stone-age peasants. So in this modern, enlightened age of information, what's your excuse? Or are you saying with all your advantages, you were still tricked as easily as those early humans?

---

There is no better way to convey the least amount of information in the greatest amount of words than to try explaining your religious views.
I'm no scientist, but for any bridge you need a connection on both side.
Any siblings? Any possible relatives of the father to form a link?
Find the link and string out from there.

Either way; good luck.
I have a couple relatives do the DNA analysis (that's how I found out, surprise surprise, I'm almost 25% Scandinavian and have no idea from the family genealogy how that happened) and they apparently will give you 'some' indication of possible relatives and the degree of consanguinity.

Might be people already in their database you might get the info you're looking for.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

23andme is the way to go. Their privacy policy is good, and all you need to do is spit in a vial and send it off. $99 for DNA history, and $199 for DNA and health markers.

https://www.23andme.com/dna-ancestry/

But yeah, she's not going to find much about her father's haplogroups without a brother or some other male paternal relative.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
How far can this dna testing thing go once it ramps up.
What about all the privacy laws? Sperm donors, adopted children, parents in poverty giving kids up for adoption, etc
What if I found out I'm Vorlon's child because he donated sperm? I'm not sure I'm ready for that kind of news!

Big Grin

Hey Vorls, can ya lemmy a fiver gov?
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
23andMe located 1165 other customers who were up to fourth cousins. Some of them allowed their names to be posted. It also showed that I was Oirish, something I already knew.

CD, if she has Filipino blood the tests will indicate that area of the world as a contributor to her genetic heritage.
(September 20, 2017 at 11:40 pm)SteelCurtain Wrote: 23andme is the way to go. Their privacy policy is good, and all you need to do is spit in a vial and send it off. $99 for DNA history, and $199 for DNA and health markers.

https://www.23andme.com/dna-ancestry/

But yeah, she's not going to find much about her father's haplogroups without a brother or some other male paternal relative.

Unfortunately, she has no known siblings or other known paternal relatives. She still wants to do it, though. 23andme it is.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Kepler Keeps Finding Them Minimalist 2 758 June 21, 2017 at 12:13 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  AUS researchers' finding back Cosmological Principle Jackalope 0 1169 September 17, 2012 at 6:21 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  CERN neutrino finding!!! 5thHorseman 16 6633 March 4, 2012 at 3:16 pm
Last Post: Creed of Heresy