Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 4:14 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What xtian hymns sound like to an atheist
What xtian hymns sound like to an atheist
I've posted about this before.  Please forgive.   Rolleyes   Some of you know that I'm a church organist - I don't make enough in my regular job, need a side hustle.  For the most part, playing the music is easy and fun.  But oh, I really try not to listen to the words of these songs!  (Apparently the choir members don't pay attention either.)

There is so much "give me ____" and begging for god to "speak to me, let me feel your presence, PLEASE prove to me that you exist!" (gotta pray harder)
Some of it sounds vaguely sexual:  "take me, mold me, fill me, use me, let me feel your love, I NEEEEEEEED you, oh I neeeeeeed yooouuuuu . . . "
But a lyric from last nights new anthem just knocked me sideways, I swear.   It's from a new popular song called "Committin' This Day".  (seriously.  that's the name)  
It's on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47SsdIPjnPM

After a line that says, "my heart, here is my heart" there are THESE lyrics:  (about 1:06 in the video)  "My mind, Lord of my mind, all of the time, here is my mind."
Holy crap.  "here is my mind"   brainwash me PLEEEESE . . .    holy crap.    Faints
"The family that prays together...is brainwashing their children."- Albert Einstein
RE: What xtian hymns sound like to an atheist
Oh!!

For a thousand tongues to sing !!!!
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(September 21, 2017 at 2:59 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: Oh!!

For a thousand tongues to sing !!!!

ROFLOL good one Vor!
"The family that prays together...is brainwashing their children."- Albert Einstein
Charles Wesley wrote thousands of hymns on horseback while riding to his circuit churches.

O for a thousand tongues to sing
My great Redeemer’s praise,
The glories of my God and King,
The triumphs of His grace!
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Is it possible to sing in tongues?
(September 21, 2017 at 4:41 pm)Whateverist Wrote: Is it possible to sing in tongues?

I've actually heard it.  Yes.  Singing out gibberish while rolling in the aisle with others in the congregation shouting "Hallelujah!" and "Puh-raise Jeezus!".
My Church had a song called "Let the river flow" I changed it to "Let my urine flow."
(September 21, 2017 at 4:41 pm)Whateverist Wrote: Is it possible to sing in tongues?

You've obviously never heard me sing or you wouldn't ask that question.

Tongue
Dying to live, living to die.
There's a lot of Christian music I like: Bach and Handel, many of they hymns, Gospel music. It's easy enough for me to tune out the lyrical message since I'm pretty much a music-first-lyrics-last sort of guy anyway.

What I can't wrap my head around is contemporary Christian pop/rock. What simpering, anodyne garbage! Do people really like this shit, or is it all about branding and group identity?
(September 21, 2017 at 2:53 pm)drfuzzy Wrote: I've posted about this before.  Please forgive.   Rolleyes   Some of you know that I'm a church organist - I don't make enough in my regular job, need a side hustle.  For the most part, playing the music is easy and fun.  But oh, I really try not to listen to the words of these songs!  (Apparently the choir members don't pay attention either.)

There is so much "give me ____" and begging for god to "speak to me, let me feel your presence, PLEASE prove to me that you exist!" (gotta pray harder)
Some of it sounds vaguely sexual:  "take me, mold me, fill me, use me, let me feel your love, I NEEEEEEEED you, oh I neeeeeeed yooouuuuu . . . "
But a lyric from last nights new anthem just knocked me sideways, I swear.   It's from a new popular song called "Committin' This Day".  (seriously.  that's the name)  
It's on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47SsdIPjnPM

After a line that says, "my heart, here is my heart" there are THESE lyrics:  (about 1:06 in the video)  "My mind, Lord of my mind, all of the time, here is my mind."
Holy crap.  "here is my mind"   brainwash me PLEEEESE . . .    holy crap.    Faints

I love that song.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  7 Pious Xtian Shits Who Stepped On Their Own Dicks Minimalist 0 881 October 12, 2018 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  The Kind of Shit Xtian Fucktards Teach Minimalist 12 2618 June 9, 2018 at 3:35 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Is there room for a xtian section in an atheist forum? Bow Before Zeus 70 9635 December 6, 2017 at 4:04 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Here's A Xtian I'll Tip My Hat To Minimalist 0 840 April 9, 2017 at 8:04 pm
  I'm Tired of Xtian Shits With Their Silly Fairy Tales. Minimalist 2 1077 March 9, 2017 at 10:09 pm
  Why are the "laws" of physics so different as conceived by many xtian fundamentalist? Whateverist 22 4887 November 13, 2016 at 1:35 am
Last Post: Funky_Gibbon
  Do I sound like the "devil" to you? My mother thinks I speak like the devil... ReptilianPeon 60 9293 July 6, 2016 at 6:03 pm
Last Post: Nihilist Virus
  a theory about modern xtian deconversion drfuzzy 14 2888 April 29, 2016 at 1:12 am
Last Post: Godscreated
  sexual themes in Protestant hymns drfuzzy 22 4818 November 30, 2015 at 3:51 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
  more xtian idiocy in the news drfuzzy 11 3514 November 4, 2015 at 7:07 pm
Last Post: brewer