Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 5:04 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Gravitational Wave signal
New Gravitational Wave signal
For the first time, a detection of grav. waves from merging black holes at three simultaneous detectors has been announced today after the italian VIRGO machine had joined the two LIGO detectors in Louisiana and Washington a while ago. The third detector not only improves sensitivity but has allowed a 10x more precise determination of the source region on the sky. This should bolster the team's chances for this year's Nobel which will be announced soon.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

RE: New Gravitational Wave signal
But what about jesus?
(September 27, 2017 at 5:55 pm)Minimalist Wrote: But what about jesus?

Gone fishin'
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

The ability to detect such things never ceases to amaze me.

I'm looking forward to something from the LZ project (or any project with similar goals) - now that would be really amazing, to me at least. I've been accused of being easily amused before.

These are heady times for the physics world.
Cool, surfs up. Where the hell is my hoverboard?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Alex, what's this new thing they built in Germany?
A different type of particle collider?
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
'Gravitational Wave Signal' would be a cool name for a band.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
CERN or LIGO/VIRGO may be the first groups to receive a Nobel Prize.
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

Is this the episode where Kirk meets Joan Collins?
I find this . . . . .

strangely . . . ..

arousing

[Image: 225px-GravitationalWave_CrossPolarization.gif]
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Brace yourselves for gravitational waves Alex K 220 15846 February 27, 2016 at 12:27 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  Breaking News: Evidence for gravitational waves in the CMB! Alex K 8 3038 March 19, 2014 at 8:14 pm
Last Post: *Deidre*
  Mach–Zehnder interferometer, Particle or Wave? little_monkey 3 1900 May 22, 2013 at 9:18 pm
Last Post: Sal