Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 10:36 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New here, still in the closet!
New here, still in the closet!
It doesn't take a genius to figure it out, but I've known that noah's ark, talking donkeys, and giants are big fairy tale for quite some time! The problem is that I am surrounded by die-hard christians, including my wife other family members.  For that reason, I am still in the closet and nobody knows that I am an atheist.  In fact, this post is the first time I've ever let anything out.  

I still attend church every Sunday to make everyone happy.....longest hour of my entire week!  Day after day I get to hear "praise god", "that was a miracle", "pray for healing", etc.  I am constantly subjected to faith based movies, christian music and other attempts to brainwash me.  Most recently, I've had to battle my wife as she wants to give the church a 10% tithe.  I have found it increasingly difficult to live in the closet while pretending to be a jesus follower to please everyone else!  

I'm hoping that this forum will provide me some place to communicate with others like me, and learn how to cope with the daily struggle!
RE: New here, still in the closet!
(October 2, 2017 at 2:59 pm)okccannon Wrote: It doesn't take a genius to figure it out, but I've known that noah's ark, talking donkeys, and giants are big fairy tale for quite some time! The problem is that I am surrounded by die-hard christians, including my wife other family members.  For that reason, I am still in the closet and nobody knows that I am an atheist.  In fact, this post is the first time I've ever let anything out.  

I still attend church every Sunday to make everyone happy.....longest hour of my entire week!  Day after day I get to hear "praise god", "that was a miracle", "pray for healing", etc.  I am constantly subjected to faith based movies, christian music and other attempts to brainwash me.  Most recently, I've had to battle my wife as she wants to give the church a 10% tithe.  I have found it increasingly difficult to live in the closet while pretending to be a jesus follower to please everyone else!  

I'm hoping that this forum will provide me some place to communicate with others like me, and learn how to cope with the daily struggle!

Sounds like you live in the US. Over here being a Christian is the exception rather than the rule.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Hey okccannon! Welcome! Only the people closest to me know I'm an atheist. I suppose that doesn't matter much as I have no friends irl.
Welcome aboard, GL with the tithing spouse.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Howdy and Welcome.

Had an ex that sounds like your wife/family. Totally inflexible. That's why she is an ex. The current is cafeteria catholic, we found a way to make it work.

Living in the closet long term is not a solution. Open the door a little by becoming a questioning christian. I did that, but at the time I was age 13.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(October 2, 2017 at 2:59 pm)okccannon Wrote: It doesn't take a genius to figure it out, but I've known that noah's ark, talking donkeys, and giants are big fairy tale for quite some time! The problem is that I am surrounded by die-hard christians, including my wife other family members.  For that reason, I am still in the closet and nobody knows that I am an atheist.  In fact, this post is the first time I've ever let anything out.  

Welcome to the dark side Luke. Booze to the left, hookers to the right, fundies under the floorboards in the basement.

Be sure to barbecue kittens, record the NFL without their permission, and rip the tags off of your mattress. But don't mess with ABBA, to quote the movie "Dirty Dancing,"  "NOBODY PUTS ABBA IN THE CORNER!"

Did, I mention I like ABBA? I digress, regress, confess and progress.

This welcome brought to you by, the fine folks at Acme Led Paint. All rights reserved, see store for details, for external use only. Consult your doctor if a rash appears, may cause severe groaning. 

In all seriousness, you are NOT alone. And, never feel stumped by a theist, if you get stumped, feel free to run their arguments by us and we will be happy to rip them to shreds logic wise.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled introduction already in progress.

Oh, P.S. what conservative hockey hole did you get stuck in location wise?
(October 2, 2017 at 2:59 pm)okccannon Wrote: I'm hoping that this forum will provide me some place to communicate with others like me, and learn how to cope with the daily struggle!

Come on in, the water is fine.

I'm all for a degree of compromise to avoid conflict but today it's a 10% tithe, and next week? Half your clothes to a church charity, knocking on doors distributing the word of god, visiting sick people in hospital and telling them lies and living a lie yourself? Dude, you need to find a way out of this or your life will become a misery.

Welcome to the forums.
It's amazing 'science' always seems to 'find' whatever it is funded for, and never the oppsite. Drich.
Been there, done that, fuck that. Once I told everyone in my life that I was an atheist my life then became that much simpler. Sure a few of them raged for a bit but they're over it now and we can even joke about it.

Welcome aboard!
[Image: bbb59Ce.gif]

(September 17, 2015 at 4:04 pm)Parkers Tan Wrote: I make change in the coin tendered. If you want courteous treatment, behave courteously. Preaching at me and calling me immoral is not courteous behavior.
Wait, is okc short for oklahoma city? If so, a closet might not cut it, find a bunker. 

hehehehehe
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hi everybody! New here (She/It) requiredfield 22 492 April 2, 2024 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  New Here Nomistic 13 575 February 12, 2024 at 1:42 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  I'm new here Sigiere 14 982 May 24, 2023 at 8:59 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  New here Rdougall 9 1261 January 27, 2023 at 1:39 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  New guy here Roykok 8 1094 November 10, 2022 at 3:51 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie