Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 6:58 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Foreign Languages
Foreign Languages
I'm curious: how many of you speak a foreign language? While my native language is English, I can speak, read, and write Spanish fluently and I am currently studying Portuguese as part of a dual-enrollment course at my local university. I absolutely love Latin American culture, and I hope to study abroad at least one semester during my time in university. Big Grin
"If your god has to make peace with me in my final hour when he has my whole lifetime to prove his existence to me...do you think I should bother?"

"But the happiness of an atheist is neither the vacuous enjoyment of a fool, nor the short-lived pleasure of a rogue. It is rather the expression of a disposition that has ceased to torture itself with foolish fancies, or perplex itself with useless beliefs." - Chapman Cohen
RE: Foreign Languages
I speak a bit of French, I want to learn to speak at least two foreign languages fluently by the time I am 30.
"God is dead" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"Faith is what you have in things that DON'T exist. - Homer J. Simpson
I am half Portuguese, but I can only say "grandpa" and "bald-headed turtle"
I took Spanish in high school, but things didn't work out so well with the classes. I took dumb-people Spanish one(I didn't get into language in middle school, because I got less then a c, because I can't spell.) then they didn't offer dumb-people Spanish 2 so I took average-people Spanish 1 and wasted a semester. and the next year I wasn't going to get the same awesome teacher so I didn't go for it.
(and they brought back dumb-people Spanish.)
If my high school had more languages offered I might have taken one of those. or if, guess what, my school system taught languages like other countries and offered it at an earlier age. or didn't not let me take it in middle school, because I can't spell. Imagine them not letting me take English because I can't spell. I already ignore half the grammar rules.
[Image: siggy2_by_Cego_Colher.jpg]
Quote:...and I hope to study abroad at least one semester during my time in university.

Only hoping to study one? You really ought to study a few of them each semester.

(Sorry... couldn't resist)
Oh... and to stay on topic;

I can cuss in spanish and tagalo pretty well. Does that count?
I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
...the least christian thing a person can do is to become a christian. ~Chuck
---------------
NO MA'AM
[Image: attemptingtogiveadamnc.gif]
I can speak pig latin like an uckingfay opray! I know a bit of Spanish too, I took Spanish I in college and have worked with hispanic people most of my workin' life.
Currently learning Japanese Wink
(October 26, 2010 at 11:18 am)Tiberius Wrote: Currently learning Japanese Wink

Very cool! Are you learning Japanese in a university setting? Or are you learning it via a website?
"If your god has to make peace with me in my final hour when he has my whole lifetime to prove his existence to me...do you think I should bother?"

"But the happiness of an atheist is neither the vacuous enjoyment of a fool, nor the short-lived pleasure of a rogue. It is rather the expression of a disposition that has ceased to torture itself with foolish fancies, or perplex itself with useless beliefs." - Chapman Cohen
I speak Dutch, English, and German fairly well, and un petit pue French but not enough to get me through an entire conversation.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
(October 26, 2010 at 1:25 pm)leo-rcc Wrote: I speak Dutch, English, and German fairly well, and un petit pue French but not enough to get me through an entire conversation.

Dutch, eh? I've always thought Dutch was an interesting language. Smile

(October 26, 2010 at 1:56 pm)Jonah Wrote:
(October 26, 2010 at 1:25 pm)leo-rcc Wrote: I speak Dutch, English, and German fairly well, and un petit pue French but not enough to get me through an entire conversation.

Dutch, eh? I've always thought Dutch was an interesting language. Smile

I don't know, it's pretty common around here. Smile
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Languages Ahriman 106 6959 January 21, 2023 at 12:34 pm
Last Post: Ahriman
  TIN for a foreign citizen CatchMoM56 7 363 July 27, 2022 at 9:22 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Countries have different names in different languages Dundee 22 2072 June 26, 2021 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Languages (anything but English) naimless 54 10688 March 14, 2013 at 7:14 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Random foreign language bla bla. Something completely different 35 10713 December 9, 2012 at 1:32 am
Last Post: jonb
  25 popular programming languages Rob 9 2484 April 11, 2010 at 10:18 pm
Last Post: Disinter
  How many languages can you speak? Giff 32 9742 June 3, 2009 at 8:14 am
Last Post: Giff