Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 8:21 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello!
Hello!
I am new here.  I was posting on an atheism forum on f/b and there was nothing but trolls.  Every single thread was a troll.  I tried posting a few threads and the serious threads had no responses, the troll threads were pages and pages long.  That led me to go on the hunt for a good atheism forum.

I used to post on About.com, I posted there for many years off and on and eventually, About.com closed. It was very disappointing.  Clearly, I was happy when I looked through this forum, it appears well run, intelligent people posting, it's exciting!!  ;o)

I was born in Des Moines, then lived in AZ after school, and now I live in Mexico doing medical tourism.  I have lived here for almost 7 years and I love it!  I really thought this was a mega religious country and it is not.  I do not know a single person that goes to church. Not even on Christmas, they wouldn't dare miss the fiestas and let me tell you, Mexican have the *best* parties!!  They can go on for days. It's a lot of fun.  I love the culture here, I have yet to master the language but I have learned that they will suffer through my Spanish as long as they know I really am trying.

Everything here is about bartering.  I wanted to find someone great to cut my hair so each lady I see who has great hair I ask her who does her hair.  I have yet to find a shop, everyone has a sister or mom or neighbor who does it. But I love the bartering and trading.  My neighbors are elderly and clearly on a fixed income and I know they were eating a lot of beans and rice.  But when they have food to cook, it's a feast!  I have the money for food but no cooking skills.  When I moved into this house I didn't even bother buying an oven, in my last home when I was cleaning the house to move I had to "dust" out my oven.  I did not know ovens could collect dust.  My kitchen in small so there was no need to waste the space on an oven.

Point being, I buy the food, my neighbors cook, we eat family style and we ALL eat better.  I love it!  It works out well, my neighbors also have keys to my gate and house and when I am at the hospital on especially long days they come over and let my dogs out (I live in the desert, no way do I leave my dogs out in the heat.)  They feed them and take care of them while I am gone.  On those days I bring home tacos from their fav taco stand and they are thrilled.

Anything with an electrical cord is *very* expensive in Mexico.  Overall living is very cheap but items with an electrical cord are ridiculously expensive.  I live in a border city so I cross the border into the US all the time.  Each spring I make many trips for fans and other items that are cheaper vs. Mexico.  Most of my neighbors can't cross the border so I get items for them.  In exchange, they do a ton of things for me.  If my internet is down they go to the cable/internet company and translate for me.  My neighbors understand MY Spanish, they know me.  But strangers just cock their head and have no idea what I am saying.  So my neighbors translate my Spanish into real Spanish.  They help me so I don't get the white girl price.  If I have to find a new vet for my dogs for example, they go in first and ask the cost for an office call THEN I come in and I don't get the white girl price.  They are amazingly good to me and I try to return the favor.

Just for examples, my rent for a small 1 bedroom house with locked gates, etc., is $1100 pesos, or depending on the exchange rate around $65 USD.  Tap water is about $4/$5 a month and that includes garbage pick up x2 weekly.  Drinking water delivered to my home is $0.75/5 gallons USD and that includes a 15% tip and really, only the Americans tip here.  If I went to pick it up myself vs. having it delivered it would be 10 pesos or $0.59/5 gallons with no tip.  I live in the desert so during the summer months I keep my A/C on 24/7, even when I am not home due to my dogs.  My bill is usually around $750 pesos or $45 USD/month.  Phone service here used to be the most expensive in the world.  Just calling my neighbor was about $1 USD/minute.  Today there is more competition and without a contract it is still that expensive but with a contract I have unlimited calling to Mexico, the US, and Canada for $150 pesos a month or $8.82 USD.  I was waiting for the shock, surprise, fine print and so far.... nothing.  It really is less than $9 USD.  My unlimited internet is $320 pesos a month or $18.83/month.  That has also drastically dropped in price in the 7 years I have lived here.

Recently my dog was ill on a Sunday.  They don't really have emergency clinics here like in Phoenix.  For the vet to come in on a Sunday, open the clinic, examine my dog, give an injection and two Rxs to take home it was $35 USD.  One time the vet came to my home and vaccinated my three dogs and 2 neighbor dogs and it was $40 USD for all vaccines, rabies, and worming as well as a home visit.  My neighbors can't really afford to vaccinate their dogs and it is all the better for my dogs if the neighbor dogs are vaccinated as well.  Same with spraying for ticks/fleas.  It is cheap to have the exterminator spray my house as well as my neighbors on both sides and I have zero problems with ticks/fleas when their homes and yards are sprayed, too.  That is $35/house but I know the exterminator and he does a heck of a job, I only have to do it once a year.

I used to live in the high rent district. ;o) I had a beautiful 3 bedroom/2 bath house with 2 stories, minisplits in each room, an amazing Mexican tile patio that was beyond beautiful but due to medical problems the steps were getting to be a chore and it was just too far away from my American friends, the hospitals we use, and the border.  The rent there was $250.  All other basic living costs were the same.  So I moved and while my last house was too big, this one is too small but  don't really want to move due to great neighbors.  I depend on them quite a bit.  I could actually build a room on to this house for about $1200.  Not sure I want to do that for a rental.

Friends and neighbors used to have to read my mail to me but I have come a long way in 7 years!  I can read it all by myself now. ;o)  Every now and again I gt something I don't understand but they take care of it for me, whatever it is.

If you are thinking about a place to retire, or if you can work from your home via internet/phone, this is your country!  The people are great, the culture is warm, there is little judgement, it's a great place to live.

I hope to meet you all!  I am really looking forward to some good topics and discussions.  Thanks for letting me join!
RE: Hello!
Dude. Are you in Mexicali?

Welcome.
-The forum Mexican living in Arizona

This is too familiar. I feel like my brother is here pranking me... or you are my ex spying on me.

(Laughs nervously) ha! That’s absurd. Of course not. Or is it? Nah. Or is it?
"Hipster is what happens when young hot people do what old ladies do." -Exian
(October 11, 2017 at 2:52 am)J a c k Wrote: Dude. Are you in Mexicali?

Welcome.
-The forum Mexican living in Arizona

This is too familiar. I feel like my brother is here pranking me... or you are my ex spying on me.

(Laughs nervously) ha! That’s absurd. Of course not. Or is it? Nah. Or is it?

OMG, how did you know that?  Yes, I moved here Nov '10.  I actually had surgery here (medical tourism) when I lived in Phoenix (7th/Glendale).  I loved the people and had to return here many times and decided to move here.

Noooo, not your brother but if it would ease your tad bit of paranoia, I can give you a link to the atheism forum I was posting on earlier tonight whining about how stupid their forum is and I actually posted a link to this forum suggesting that anyone wanting a real forum should join here. ;o))))))

Are you from Mexicali?
Oh mah gaaaaaah! My brother lived there, so I visited every two weeks. I’m in Yuma, AZ. I go to Mexicali ALL the time, sometimes just to eat. Lol I can’t believe someone from Mexicali is here! I’m so happeh! And so paranoid, but mostly happy! Lol
(October 11, 2017 at 3:07 am)J a c k Wrote: Oh mah gaaaaaah! My brother lived there, so I visited every two weeks. I’m in Yuma, AZ. I go to Mexicali ALL the time, sometimes just to eat. Lol I can’t believe someone from Mexicali is here! I’m so happeh! And so paranoid, but mostly happy! Lol

HAHA  I think I might have fixed your paranoid via PM. ;o)

I would LOVE to meet another atheist, next time you are in Mexicali give me a call.  Well, after your paranoia is resolved!  I have both a US# and Mexican cell#. I can PM them if you ever believe I am really me and not him/them.

How often do you come here?  I have been through Yuma MANY times and I have a fav restaurant (next to Chili's, nobody can beat their chz/broccoli soup) and that is a place I think is called Burgers and Beer?  Does that sound right?  I also love their Dillards. I mean, I love all Dillards but their buyer and I have similar tastes.  We have a Dillards in El Centro but I prefer Yuma's more.

Yuma is just too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter.  Mexicali is pretty much the same as Phoenix in weather, crime, size, etc.
(October 11, 2017 at 3:14 am)MichelleInMX Wrote:
(October 11, 2017 at 3:07 am)J a c k Wrote: Oh mah gaaaaaah! My brother lived there, so I visited every two weeks. I’m in Yuma, AZ. I go to Mexicali ALL the time, sometimes just to eat. Lol I can’t believe someone from Mexicali is here! I’m so happeh! And so paranoid, but mostly happy! Lol

HAHA  I think I might have fixed your paranoid via PM. ;o)

I would LOVE to meet another atheist, next time you are in Mexicali give me a call.  Well, after your paranoia is resolved!  I have both a US# and Mexican cell#. I can PM them if you ever believe I am really me and not him/them.

How often do you come here?  I have been through Yuma MANY times and I have a fav restaurant (next to Chili's, nobody can beat their chz/broccoli soup) and that is a place I think is called Burgers and Beer?  Does that sound right?  I also love their Dillards. I mean, I love all Dillards but their buyer and I have similar tastes.  We have a Dillards in El Centro but I prefer Yuma's more.

Yuma is just too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter.  Mexicali is pretty much the same as Phoenix in weather, crime, size, etc.

Lol this is so funny. Of course I know the places you’re talking about. I was at Dillards today buying makeup haha!
So, welcome!!! If you have any Mexicanism questions, feel free to ask lol. All though, you seem pretty acquainted. Smile
uhmmm...

Welcome new person...
You've met Jack?

Yeah, she's one of the good ones. It's downhill from there... Big Grin
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(October 11, 2017 at 3:19 am)J a c k Wrote:
(October 11, 2017 at 3:14 am)MichelleInMX Wrote: HAHA  I think I might have fixed your paranoid via PM. ;o)

Lol this is so funny. Of course I know the places you’re talking about. I was at Dillards today buying makeup haha!
So, welcome!!! If you have any Mexicanism questions, feel free to ask lol. All though, you seem pretty acquainted. Smile

My biggest challenge and frustration is Spanish.  It's easy for a child to pick up a 2nd, 3rd, and even 4th language but OMG!  Spanish is killing me!  It is so much harder for adults.  I can get by and they have a bit of a clue what topic I am discussing but they have to really work hard to understand me.  I work for a surgeon here, we call him Dr. Juan because when I say his name nobody knows who I am talking about.  They always ALWAYS correct me and tell me how to say his name and I would swear that is exactly what and how I just said it!  Clearly, I am not so we just call him Dr. Juan....patients and all!

I don't care for food in the grocery stores.  I don't like the brands and the chicken is yellow! So I buy most of my groceries in Calexico once a month.  But you can't beat Mexico produce!  I swear they keep all the good produce and send the rest to the US.  HA!

Thanks for the offer of help, I might take you up on it someday!!

(October 11, 2017 at 3:27 am)ignoramus Wrote: uhmmm...

Welcome new person...
You've met Jack?

Yeah, she's one of the good ones. It's downhill from there... Big Grin

Thank you!  The more I read through here the better I like this forum.

Yep, I met Jack.  Jack seems great!!
Welcome.

I see it didn't take you long to encounter Jack!
Dying to live, living to die.
(October 11, 2017 at 4:50 am)The Valkyrie Wrote: Welcome.

I see it didn't take you long to encounter Jack!

I did indeed!  I am doing my best to talk Jack into meeting for lunch someday in Mexicali.  I soooo want to meet people in real time that are atheist.  Not sure how Jack feels about it though!  Big Grin

Does anyone else live in Mexicali?  Or El Centro, California?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Up Hello Hello loush 17 5977 December 13, 2010 at 2:53 pm
Last Post: theophilus
  Hello hello! DgyJff 8 3646 August 30, 2010 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: RachelSkates