Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 10:45 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HELP!! how do i respond to this??
HELP!! how do i respond to this??
HELP!! How do i respond to this?

So, i got into an argument with a fellow about God and his existence. And i asked him to give me an logical, rational reason that God exists.
He said "The simple fact that i need to have a reason, that our discussion has a purpose".
So i asked him to elaborate and he basically said: "Our discussion would have no purpose if god wont exist, our discussion purpose its life, this is what we want from this discussion, this is what we want this disscussion to teach us, to have life. If God wont exist (the eternal life), our discussion wont serve a purpose, because everything we would do, we will get to DEAD. But the purpose is life ( life afterlife, eternal life), who gives eternal life? God, therfore God HAS TO EXIST".

His elaborate answer was this: "For truth to exist, there has to exist someting that is not true, like saying: for something blue to exist, there most exist something that is not blue. If not, it wouldnt make any sense to say that something its blue.Why we need to have truth as the purpose, and not the untruth/not true? Not because we see that that thing its doing good to us?Ex: why u say smoking its bad? But now the big problem comes.. what does it trully mean to exist? because the faithfull people say that a true living with God its beyond Dead. For christians, that its heaven, so, good for them its that truth, which help you get to that place. For materialistic people, those who belive that this is all the life we have, the good is that, that help them live a longer life. so which one is right? if you take materialistic people, why is their concept not good about life? Because in their conception, every life its sorted to dead, the only chance of a materialistc guy to live its to pass his genes. so the purpose of our discussion it not the truth, its dead, it has no purpose you could say. But if you take christians, where life its eternal, THEN to obtain that eternal life you must follow the path=> our purpose its the truth - truth exists - truth its necesary - the usefull things are good -good thing give life -our purpose its life - this discussion has a meaning. Who gives eternal life? GOD. 1+1=2 - God is necesairy to exist.

HOW DO I RESPOND TO HIS?? btw sorry for my english
RE: HELP!! how do i respond to this??
Just tell him to blow god out of his ass.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(October 28, 2017 at 4:49 pm)Lutrinae Wrote: Just tell him to blow god out of his ass.

cmon dude i need a good argument Smile)
(October 28, 2017 at 4:50 pm)kakarot123 Wrote: cmon dude i need a good argument Smile)

Tell him that he hasn't proven anything through his word salad. Unless he can provide hard, empirical, evidence for god's existence, he is merely relying upon his personal, fallible experience of religious faith that is merely a belief not based on proof.
~ Erin Hunter
(October 28, 2017 at 4:54 pm)Lutrinae Wrote:
(October 28, 2017 at 4:50 pm)kakarot123 Wrote: cmon dude i need a good argument Smile)

Tell him that he hasn't proven anything through his word salad.  Unless he can provide hard, empirical, evidence for god's existence, he is merely relying upon his personal, fallible experience of religious faith that is merely a belief not based on proof.
But how can i argue with his logic when he says that our discussion has no meaning if God dosent exist because God is eternal life and truth..the one thing that we need to achive??
(October 28, 2017 at 4:59 pm)kakarot123 Wrote: But how can i argue with his logic when he says that our discussion has no meaning if God dosent exist because God is eternal life and truth..the one thing that we need to achive??

That's his illogical hang-up, not yours. Life exists as it does with absolutely no evidence of a god's presence; thus, one can logically posit that god does not exist and that the mere concept of god does not hold a monopoly on life, how it is perceived, or how it is lived to its fullest.
~ Erin Hunter
Smoking is bad because of what we have empirically observed smoking doing to human tissue, including but not limited to the lungs.
Blue is blue because of the way light works. Blue exists at a higher wavelength than, say, red. Again, this is proven empirically. Blue, the color, would exist even if blue, the label, was different.

Everything else that person said is essentially masturbatory. It feels good to them, but is meaningless. All we know for certain is that everyone dies. That's it. Unless they can provide proof of an afterlife, then they're simply making unwarranted assumptions and living as though they were true because of the positive emotional feedback it gives them. It's no more meaningful than believing that Optimus Prime is the one, true lord. And, well, we at least have visual depictions of Cybertron, which is certainly more than can be said about heaven.

"God is eternal life and truth" - prove it.

"Eternal life is the one thing we need to achieve" - why? Again, prove it.
very good answers. Thank you guys!
(October 28, 2017 at 4:59 pm)kakarot123 Wrote:
(October 28, 2017 at 4:54 pm)Lutrinae Wrote: Tell him that he hasn't proven anything through his word salad.  Unless he can provide hard, empirical, evidence for god's existence, he is merely relying upon his personal, fallible experience of religious faith that is merely a belief not based on proof.
But how can i argue with his logic when he says that our discussion has no meaning if God dosent exist because God is eternal life and truth..the one thing that we need to achive??

Just reply to him using his words except for inserting "slood" in the place of "god". What he is telling you is meaningless, because all he is doing is asserting something as fact without even bothering to show how it is fact.

And if he is still stupid enough to continue with that line of nonsense, your next response is to ask him to show how what he says is true. He'll either get himself tied up in knots or he'll go away knowing he's lost.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
(October 28, 2017 at 4:59 pm)kakarot123 Wrote:
(October 28, 2017 at 4:54 pm)Lutrinae Wrote: Tell him that he hasn't proven anything through his word salad.  Unless he can provide hard, empirical, evidence for god's existence, he is merely relying upon his personal, fallible experience of religious faith that is merely a belief not based on proof.

"Eternal life" is a fairy tale. This "eternal life and truth" crap is just a line the preachers peddle.  They can't prove there is an afterlife, but hey, if you put enough money in the till and be a good little brainless sheep, they'll assure you that you're going to heaven for eternity.  If you doubt that "god is eternal life and truth" then god will torture you forever for asking for a proof that has been non-existent since the first con man witch doctor thought up the first god.  

Nothing in their little wholly babble book of evil fairy tales provides one whiff of proof that a god has ever existed.  In fact, when you examine the myths, it's quite clear that they are man-made variations of older myths.
It's all fantasy, built in order to control others.
"The family that prays together...is brainwashing their children."- Albert Einstein

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How would you Respond to ShockOfGod if he didn't Disable Comments? Shining_Finger 18 4311 September 16, 2015 at 1:49 am
Last Post: Jackalope