Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 5:23 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Euthyphro Dilemma.
Photo 
The Euthyphro Dilemma.
This is a serie by Tooltime9901, one of my favorite Youtube debaters.

In this series he tackles The Euthyphro Dilemma.

Here is the short preamble:

Socrates encounters Euthyphro outside the court of Athens. Socrates has been called to court on charges of impiety by Meletus, and Euthyphro has come to prosecute his own father for having unintentionally killed a murderous hired hand.

Socrates urges Euthyphro to instruct him and to teach him what holiness is, since Euthyphro's teaching might help Socrates in his trial against Meletus.

First, Euthyphro suggests that holiness is persecuting religious offenders. Socrates finds this definition unsatisfying, since there are many holy deeds aside from that of persecuting offenders. He asks Euthyphro instead to give him a general definition that identifies that one feature that all holy deeds share in common. Euthyphro suggests that what is holy is what is agreeable to the gods, in response to which Socrates points out that the gods often quarrel, so what is agreeable to one might not be agreeable to all.

From there the discusson get better and better, but I will leave it to Peter (tooltime9901) to explain. Smile

[youtube]4WKHnCOHtB8[/youtube]

[youtube]vQI1ncwxsF0[/youtube]

This series will probable get a third episode, if it does I will post it as well. I think it is fascinating.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
RE: The Euthyphro Dilemma.
Imo, the Euthyphro dilemma deals a fatal blow to moral theology. In itself it is sufficient reason to deem all theology unscientific and to expell it from universities.
"I'm like a rabbit suddenly trapped, in the blinding headlights of vacuous crap" - Tim Minchin in "Storm"
Christianity is perfect bullshit, christians are not - Purple Rabbit, honouring CS Lewis
Faith is illogical - fr0d0
I agree.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
(December 30, 2008 at 4:42 pm)leo-rcc Wrote: I agree.

Me too!

Kyu