Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 7:01 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another uncomfortable ethics question!
Another uncomfortable ethics question!
Well it's probably not so uncomfotable for most people around here, or most people period.

There is a train hurtling down the tracks towards 10 people, who are unable to escape. You can divert the train onto another set of tracks, but this set has 10 ducks on it, who are also unable to escape.

Which would you choose to survive?

And before you select the so called obvious answer, ask yourself why are people more important than ducks!
RE: Another uncomfortable ethics question!
The people, cos ducks taste better,who ever heard of longpig a la orange?
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
I'd choose the humans to survive.

Why? Because I am one, and because ducks are tasty.
Well, yes they do taste good, but apparently, so do humans. But really have you ever seen a duck that has been hit by a train. Big Grin
(October 30, 2010 at 9:29 am)ib.me.ub Wrote: Well, yes they do taste good, but apparently, so do humans. But really have you ever seen a duck that has been hit by a train. Big Grin

That would suggest some sort of casserole then
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
Quote:That would suggest some sort of casserole then

You quack me up. Big Grin no seriously....
(October 30, 2010 at 9:17 am)ib.me.ub Wrote: Well it's probably not so uncomfotable for most people around here, or most people period.

There is a train hurtling down the tracks towards 10 people, who are unable to escape. You can divert the train onto another set of tracks, but this set has 10 ducks on it, who are also unable to escape.

Which would you choose to survive?

And before you select the so called obvious answer, ask yourself why are people more important than ducks!

I chose the ducks... Now I can still go duck hunting! Tiger

Quote:Well, yes they do taste good, but apparently, so do humans. But really have you ever seen a duck that has been hit by a train.

I've never seen what happens when a duck gets hit by a train, but now I want to see it ^_^

But in seriousness, humans aren't necessarily more important than ducks... but they almost always (if not always) have a greater capacity to do things, and I am very bored without things being done. Though they might all do bad things for me.... so maybe I would direct the train at the humans.

On a split second reaction, i would save the humans. That's my nature though, given time to think I might do the other.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
You need to be more specific about the humans.

If you had said there were 10 cathoholic priests or 10 imans on the track that would be another thing entirely.
It is not a crime to kill ducks to save humans, it is a crime to kill humans to save ducks.

So to prevent jail time I'd kill the ducks.

Simples

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

I agree with Zen. More specifics about the humans.
I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
...the least christian thing a person can do is to become a christian. ~Chuck
---------------
NO MA'AM
[Image: attemptingtogiveadamnc.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ethics of Neutrality John 6IX Breezy 16 1228 November 20, 2023 at 8:40 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Ethics of Fashion John 6IX Breezy 60 3824 August 9, 2022 at 3:11 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  [Serious] Ethics Disagreeable 44 3936 March 23, 2022 at 7:09 pm
Last Post: deepend
  Machine Intelligence and Human Ethics BrianSoddingBoru4 24 1861 May 28, 2019 at 1:23 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  What is the point of multiple types of ethics? Macoleco 12 1151 October 2, 2018 at 12:35 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Trolley Problem/Consistency in Ethics vulcanlogician 150 18011 January 30, 2018 at 11:01 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  (LONG) "I Don't Know" as a Good Answer in Ethics vulcanlogician 69 8707 November 27, 2017 at 1:10 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  what are you ethics based on justin 50 16448 February 24, 2017 at 8:30 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  The Compatibility Of Three Approachs To Ethics Edwardo Piet 18 3174 October 2, 2016 at 5:23 am
Last Post: Kernel Sohcahtoa
  Utilitarianism and Population Ethics Edwardo Piet 10 1728 April 24, 2016 at 3:45 am
Last Post: robvalue