Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 9:09 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Passages which make you C.O.S. (chuckle out softly)
Passages which make you C.O.S. (chuckle out softly)
So I've been reading a lot of novels lately and frequently some observation or turn of phrase will make me chuckle out loud, but softly.  Not hilarious, just amusing or fun.  I thought a thread for sharing those would give us a chance to get little vicarious insights and chuckles from books we might not have chosen or had time to read.

I just intend to give the quote with a minimum of context.  The book I'm just started reading is called Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie.  It is told through the eyes of Ifemelu, a woman from Nigeria who has decided to return there.  While in the states she has been living in Princeton and writing a successful blog called "Raceteenth" or "Various Observations About American Blacks (Those Formerly Known as Negroes) by a Non-American Black".  I'll go ahead and give you the short paragraph before and the paragraph that contains it, but bold the part that made me laugh.  It takes place as she sits in a chair at an African salon to get her hair braided, having taken a train and a taxi as nothing like this can be found in Princeton.

[Image: 24377386118_27953d6b9a_o.png]

Now, admittedly this is not the funniest quote I ever read but seeing our obsession with having water at the ready every instant from an outsider's POV did make me see it as funny/peculiar and elicited my C.O.S. while on the stationary bike at the Y this morning.  I wanted to set the bar low to begin with though I know a lot of quotes which tend more toward lol than cos.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stalky songs that make you think. Brian37 2 553 August 4, 2018 at 10:26 am
Last Post: AFTT47
  When You Make A Song And...[Total Clickbait] Edwardo Piet 0 490 September 16, 2017 at 6:30 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Songs That Make You Happy Shell B 159 15752 July 2, 2017 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Blogger or Scribd? Which is better Rabb Allah 5 1094 July 22, 2014 at 9:44 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Which typeface is better and why? Annik 12 2495 December 13, 2012 at 4:57 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Movies That Make You Cry HeyItsZeus 18 6715 June 27, 2011 at 9:24 pm
Last Post: HeyItsZeus
  Which book should I read first. Darwinian 4 2163 March 20, 2010 at 11:43 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye