Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 1:48 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Keeps Electrons Away from the Nucleus of an Atom?
What Keeps Electrons Away from the Nucleus of an Atom?
If electrons are attracted to protons, what force keeps them from collapsing into the nucleus of an atom?

Is it the same force that keeps a planet orbiting a star without falling into it?
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
RE: What Keeps Electrons Away from the Nucleus of an Atom?
God's will.
It's something to do with their energy levels. Given higher energy states, they have higher "orbits." The "orbit" analogy is a poor one though. Gravity as absolutely nothing to do with it.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
Apartheid.
(November 16, 2017 at 8:42 pm)AFTT47 Wrote: It's something to do with their energy levels. Given higher energy states, they have higher "orbits." The "orbit" analogy is a poor one though. Gravity as absolutely nothing to do with it.

^^^^ What he said.

It is absolutely true that you could describe the earth falling around the sun. But that is not what electrons do in interacting with the center of an atom. 

Gravity when you are talking about the sun, has to do with the displacement of time space because of it's larger mass say than than that of the earth. Imagine a wrecking ball being placed on a soft waterbed. It would cause a dent in the center causing a cone circle dent around the wrecking ball. Anything smaller near that dent is going to fall towards it. An "orbit" is anything that falls but is still big enough to not completely fall into the sun. 

Electrons are not interacting like Earth is to the Sun. Electrons are at the micro level dealing with energy interactions at the quantum level, IE SMALL. The earth and sun are at the MACRO level IE, very very BIG. And not related as far as metaphor. 

Here is a video that gives you insight as to what gravity is on a huge scale. I think you might recognize a guy named COBERT. But you have been here long enough, it would not surprise me if you know whom Brian Greene is. 

The total energy state excites the electrons and keeps them moving. The real question is why don't they fly apart at such high speeds? Because the nucleus is very attractive! I believe all protons and neutrons wear skimpy negligees to keep the horny electrons buzzing around closely. Sorry, but it's the truth... Sex is the reason for everything!

Even the universe fucked itself into existence with a giant big b..... Oh, never mind, you'll never believe me anyway...
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
The nucleus gives off a repugnant aroma that electrons don't like.
Restraining order.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
https://chem.libretexts.org/Core/Physica...t_Collapse
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

Anyone heard from Alex K recently?
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Perseverance Lander minutes away from Mars. Gawdzilla Sama 27 1495 March 30, 2021 at 10:16 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Do electrons exist? Macoleco 40 3759 April 8, 2019 at 7:22 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  What Binds the Nucleon of an Atom? Rhondazvous 12 1574 January 12, 2018 at 11:56 pm
Last Post: Banned
  Kepler Keeps Finding Them Minimalist 2 773 June 21, 2017 at 12:13 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Neptune is REALLY really far away... thesummerqueen 6 1436 September 19, 2011 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: thesummerqueen
Rainbow There might be another copy of you 10^10^29 Metres away. theVOID 41 7016 July 24, 2011 at 5:30 pm
Last Post: MilesTailsPrower