Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 10:27 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trophy Hunting Good?!
Trophy Hunting Good?!
I'm posting this in question in light of this.

Philosophically, I can can think of few things I would rate as more depraved than trophy hunting. The thought of someone murdering a living creature so they can put its stuffed head up on a wall and brag about their crime makes me utterly sick. I regard such cretins as defective units, worthy of no human rights or lower animal rights. The linked article makes the case that the net result is good - at least in the case of elephants.

I'm too drunk to evaluate the article now. I'm sickened to think that the overall elephant population may be benefited by the disgusting, unethical slaughter of comparatively few individuals. But I'm a pragmatist. I'd like to know if there really is something to this argument - as much as it disgusts me.

I call myself a Secular Humanist but the act of the American people electing Donald Fucking Trump as President just makes me want to cry. I hate this man more than death itself. Maybe I'm wrong and our species isn't so great. Maybe we are depraved and disgusting and pathetic. Maybe we deserve to die and make way for evolution on this planet to come up with something more worthy. The election of Trump is definitely an argument in favor of that.

I am utterly disgusted.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
RE: Trophy Hunting Good?!
I am also disgusted by trophy hunting. Actually, I'm pretty disgusted by hunting in general.
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
If someone shoots the WLB's kids and cuts off their ears how will he feel about it?
I know how I'd feel about that.

Yeah, men CAN have multiple orgasms.

(November 17, 2017 at 11:16 pm)AFTT47 Wrote: I know how I'd feel about that.

Yeah, men CAN have multiple orgasms.

Apparently, the puddle of diarrhea has been feeling some heat so it changed it's mind for the moment:

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/trump-twe...d=51235849
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
As a person who grow up having to hunt . And a person who's culture has been built on respectful hunting . I'm disgusted by it.
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

(November 17, 2017 at 11:54 pm)Tizheruk Wrote: As a person who grow up having to hunt . And a person who's culture has been built on respectful hunting . I'm disgusted by it.

Then speak out about it. People like you have a stronger voice than people like me.

Albert Einstein
(November 17, 2017 at 11:59 pm)AFTT47 Wrote:
(November 17, 2017 at 11:54 pm)Tizheruk Wrote: As a person who grow up having to hunt . And a person who's culture has been built on respectful hunting . I'm disgusted by it.

Then speak out about it. People like you have a stronger voice than people like me.

Already have multiple times over multiple decades .Hell i helped with the recent ban in BC on Grizzly bear trophy hunting .
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

ETA: Whoah! Wrong thread, c.

Anyhow, I do have a nostalgia for taxidermy, and still like it artistically, but I hate that it's a largely consumable head. Hanging on a wall.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
I watch the Joe Rogan Experience and he's into hunting.

In the case of trophy hunting, I've only heard arguments for that in very specific situations.

Off the top of my head it might be something like, there's an elderly, aggressive male elephant.  He can't produce children but he's still aggressively fighting younger males who can produce children.  Instead of killing the elderly male for meat they allow a trophy hunter to kill it, he pays a fuck load of cash, and the cash is used to upkeep or buy land that's used for elephant preservation.  The younger males breed, the population expands, the money is used for that population, more trophy hunters come and kill the sterile elderly aggressive males of the next population.

There could be some inaccurate nuances in the previous paragraph, I'm not a hunter I just listen to a podcast that sometimes mentions hunting and that's about it.

There was a Louis Theroux documentary that goes quite in depth, and Louis actually spoke about it on his first Joe Rogan podcast.

I couldn't ever trophy hunt, I would hunt for food though since I do eat meat.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

1st of all, let me say I've been a vegetarian for like 30 years, and i would never even consider hunting. i like neither death nor dying.

That being said, there's nothing much worse with trophy hunting than with meat farming. Animal suffer, animal gets killed. If you are arguing necessity-- hands up in this thread those who are severely underweight. No. . . maybe a few grams of meat here and there are good, for protein and b vitamins, but i can tell you that it's really not necessary to eat any meat at all to live a healthy and happy life. So right away, i'd say every non-vegetarian here is a hypocrite.

Now let's see how I'm a hypocrite, too. Most vegetable foods which are cheap enough for normal people to buy are mass produced. That means giant threshers and tilling machines, chemical sprays, and the painful suffering and death of who knows how many ground-nesting birds, moles, mice, rats, snakes, and other things that would prefer you just go kill a single moose and feed your family for about a year.

So basically, unless you are hand-growing food in your own shit, you are responsible for the suffering and death of a great many animals, and are probably 100% at peace with that. But if someone pulls out a rifle on the million-and-first animal, you are suddenly all about Bambi. That's a pretty ridiculous double-standard.

It does, of course, matter what you're hunting. if you're hunting the last Norwegian purple-plumed rhino or something, then shame on you-- you need to be put in jail. if you're hunting a deer in one of the many places that are literally plagued with deer and the health hazards that come with them. . . meh. i think a shot from a rifle is no worse than a bolt-gun to the head, and at least that animal lived out some of its natural life.