Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 5:32 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Evolution observed in the field.
Evolution observed in the field.
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/techandsc...spartanntp

Quote:A population of finches on the Galapagos Islands has been “caught in the act” of becoming a new species, according to the journal Science.

It reports that researchers saw the finches mixing with other birds to create a third species, in what is thought to be the first example of speciation observed directly in the field.

Darwin finches, such an apt name.

http://science.sciencemag.org/content/ea...ce.aao4593

Quote:Homoploid hybrid speciation in animals has been inferred frequently from patterns of variation, but few examples have withstood critical scrutiny. Here we report a directly documented example from its origin to reproductive isolation. An immigrant Darwin’s finch to Daphne Major in the Galápagos archipelago initiated a new genetic lineage by breeding with a resident finch (Geospiza fortis). Genome sequencing of the immigrant identified it as a G. conirostris male that originated on Española >100km from Daphne. From the second generation onwards the lineage bred endogamously, and despite intense inbreeding, was ecologically successful and showed transgressive segregation of bill morphology. This example shows that reproductive isolation, which typically develops over hundreds of generations, can be established in only three.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

RE: Evolution observed in the field.
Awesome. This is how to make a title:

Finches are racist!
Does this validate interspecies sex acts? Those poor, poor sheep.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
So what, dirt fucked monkeys and that is how Adam was made.
(November 25, 2017 at 5:14 am)downbeatplumb Wrote: https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/techandsc...spartanntp

Quote:A population of finches on the Galapagos Islands has been “caught in the act” of becoming a new species, according to the journal Science.

It reports that researchers saw the finches mixing with other birds to create a third species, in what is thought to be the first example of speciation observed directly in the field.

Darwin finches, such an apt name.

http://science.sciencemag.org/content/ea...ce.aao4593

Quote:Homoploid hybrid speciation in animals has been inferred frequently from patterns of variation, but few examples have withstood critical scrutiny. Here we report a directly documented example from its origin to reproductive isolation. An immigrant Darwin’s finch to Daphne Major in the Galápagos archipelago initiated a new genetic lineage by breeding with a resident finch (Geospiza fortis). Genome sequencing of the immigrant identified it as a G. conirostris male that originated on Española >100km from Daphne. From the second generation onwards the lineage bred endogamously, and despite intense inbreeding, was ecologically successful and showed transgressive segregation of bill morphology. This example shows that reproductive isolation, which typically develops over hundreds of generations, can be established in only three.
Creationist on this site will likely whine "but it's still  finch " or "that's just micro evolution" excuses excuse
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

I like it when my racist relatives talk about "but it's still a finch"!

"I guess that fact that humans of different races can breed together means 'but it's still a human'?" They don't like that idea at all.
When I was in FL I witnessed Muscovy ducks breeding with other ducks making a new duck that was steril. I guess it's like crossing a horse and a donkey and making a mule.
(November 25, 2017 at 9:37 am)mh.brewer Wrote: Does this validate interspecies sex acts? Those poor, poor sheep.

Never been to Wales then. Big Grin

Its more of a cultural thing.
(November 25, 2017 at 4:08 pm)LastPoet Wrote:
(November 25, 2017 at 9:37 am)mh.brewer Wrote: Does this validate interspecies sex acts? Those poor, poor sheep.

Never been to Wales then. Big Grin

Its more of a cultural thing.
I went to Wales once and roamed the countryside when I happened onto a sheep ranch. I decided to have a visit. I, being a ventriloquist, thought it might be fun.

So I met the rancher and asked him if I could speak with his horse? He said, "My horse doesn't talk". So I asked the horse what it was like living on the ranch? The horse replied, "GREAT!" "I get fed, run around, get ridden by the rancher, and help with the sheep ranching!"

I then asked the rancher if I could speak with the dog? The rancher replied, "My dog doesn't talk". So I asked the dog what it was like living on the ranch? The dog replied, "GREAT!" "I get fed, run around, get to play fetch with the rancher, and help with the sheep ranching!"

I then asked the ranch if I could speak with the sheep? Upon which the rancher replied, "NO!" "The sheep lies!"
(November 25, 2017 at 7:10 am)LastPoet Wrote: Awesome. This is how to make a title:

Finches are racist!

No no .. "Finches are racist, keep it up!"

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A Field Needing Serious Study Minimalist 7 2589 May 9, 2014 at 8:33 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Intelligent design type evolution vs naturalism type evolution. Mystic 59 30295 April 6, 2013 at 5:12 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Vertical DNA transfer from endosymbiotic relationship observed in vertebrate species popeyespappy 6 3139 May 12, 2011 at 1:50 am
Last Post: Cinjin