Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 1:29 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Voting Day
Voting Day
YEE HAW! I got my clothes laid out, had my bowl of Cheerios, and it's off to the polls to vote out the leftwing nut radicalism of the Democratic Party. Pelosi will no longer be speaker of the House, and it's goodbye Harry Reid! YEE HAW!!! It's going to be a great day in the USA!
"Inside every Liberal there's a Totalitarian screaming to get out"

[Image: freddy_03.jpg]

Quote: JohnDG...
Quote:It was an awful mistake to characterize based upon religion. I should not judge any theist that way, I must remember what I said in order to change.
RE: Voting Day
Yes we can. Clap
[Image: bunny-with-pancake-on-its-head.jpg]
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
(November 2, 2010 at 6:13 am)A Theist Wrote: YEE HAW! I got my clothes laid out, had my bowl of Cheerios, and it's off to the polls to vote out the leftwing nut radicalism of the Democratic Party. Pelosi will no longer be speaker of the House, and it's goodbye Harry Reid! YEE HAW!!! It's going to be a great day in the USA!

Yes it will be a great day for billionaire corporate criminals and a shit day for the rest of us.
(November 2, 2010 at 6:13 am)A Theist Wrote: YEE HAW! I got my clothes laid out, had my bowl of Cheerios, and it's off to the polls to vote out the leftwing nut radicalism of the Democratic Party. Pelosi will no longer be speaker of the House, and it's goodbye Harry Reid! YEE HAW!!! It's going to be a great day in the USA!

If you're not a billionaire, what makes you think the Republican's taking congress will be a good thing? Aren't these the people who wrecked our country last decade? We still haven't finished cleaning up their mess.

It seems like Harry Ried is going to lose to the chicken lady. I consider that a Pyrrhic defeat. Harry Ried is half the problems with the Democrat party, considering he's supposed to be Senate leader and yet he folds into the fetal position whimpering "please don't hurt me" every time the Republicans say "boo". With him gone, the Democrats, if they retain the Senate, will have the chance to put a stronger leader in place.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
It looks like the republicans are going to make gains.
How soon they forget.
I hope this tea party codswallop dies a death as it looks very worrying from over here.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Fuckin' republicans... Angry
Quote:"An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity. "
Martin Luther King, Jr.
As an outsider, I find the circus of US domestic politics fascinating and and intrigued by the notion being able to have a president whose party does not have a majority in the lower house. Under our parliamentary system the Prime Minister is simply the leader of the party or coalition with a majority.He/ she can be removed at any time by the party.That happened here a few months ago. We do not have the concept of a 'lame duck'.

Also as an outsider,I've been underwhelmed by Obama from the very beginning,seeing him as more sizzle than steak.However,in context, he seemed several 100 percent better than the Republican shower against him; I mean, Sarah Palin as VP? Fuck!.

My feeling is the Democrats will be handed their heads in this election,leaving Obama a lame duck,one term president.
(November 2, 2010 at 4:20 pm)padraic Wrote: As an outsider, I find the circus of US domestic politics fascinating and and intrigued by the notion being able to have a president whose party does not have a majority in the lower house. Under our parliamentary system the Prime Minister is simply the leader of the party or coalition with a majority.He/ she can be removed at any time by the party.That happened here a few months ago. We do not have the concept of a 'lame duck'.

I once explained to some British colleagues at the time of the 1994 election (when Clinton faced a Republican sweep in congress) that our system was based heavily on theirs. The president isn't our prime minister, that would be the speaker of the House. Our president is essentially an elected king. The powers of the White House are virtually identical to the powers that King George enjoyed at the time of the revolution.

The conflict in England between king and parliament is reflected in current day struggles in America between president and congress. When the president has a friendly party in control, he can get things done. Otherwise, he has a difficult time and has to negotiate carefully.

For all our bitching about the tyranny of Mother England, it didn't take long for us to fall into similar ways of doing things. We spent several years with the dysfunctional "Articles of Confederation" before we had our Constitutional Convention and essentially said, "um, how did mom run things?". It's a little like the rebellious teen who eventually becomes like the parent. "Apple doesn't fall far from the tree" as we say.

Now technically, we did make a few changes. There was some debate over the powers of the president. It was decided to spin the Supreme Court out into its own branch of government. In England at the time, the king was also the supreme judge and could be the final arbiter of difficult cases.

Another change was the pomp and ceremony of royalty was taken out of the office. There was also some debate about that. John Adams suggested the president be addressed as "his majesty". For a time, the president had a lesser title, something along the lines of "his excellency". Thomas Jefferson was the first to coin the term "Mr. President" to establish the concept of "first among equals".

Perhaps the biggest change was putting it all in stone in a Constitution. British government has changed over time. They have no equivalent to the 4th of July (say, like a Magna Carta day) because for them, democracy came piecemeal, with power shifting over time from king to House of Lords to House of Commons. The stereotype is that British are traditional and Americans enterprising but, politically, the reverse is true. America reveres the constitution like it's a religious document, penned by God Itself. The founders are seen with such sentimentality as to make them like demigods.

Quote:Also as an outsider,I've been underwhelmed by Obama from the very beginning

History may view this presidency as a missed opportunity. Obama struck me as an insecure kid who thinks he can buy the love of others and made the critical error of wanting to be liked by everyone. Yes, he's accomplished some historic things but so much more could have been done with a little tougher negotiation and better message management to the people.

Quote:My feeling is the Democrats will be handed their heads in this election,leaving Obama a lame duck,one term president.

The same was once said of Clinton. We'll see. The Republicans seem even nuttier now than in 1994. The next two years are going to be a bumpy ride.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
[quote='DeistPaladin' pid='103126' dateline='1288719118']

[quote]If you're not a billionaire, what makes you think the Republican's taking congress will be a good thing? Aren't these the people who wrecked our country last decade? We still haven't finished cleaning up their mess.

It seems like Harry Ried is going to lose to the chicken lady. I consider that a Pyrrhic defeat. Harry Ried is half the problems with the Democrat party, considering he's supposed to be Senate leader and yet he folds into the fetal position whimpering "please don't hurt me" every time the Republicans say "boo". With him gone, the Democrats, if they retain the Senate, will have the chance to put a stronger leader in place.
[/quote]
[quote]If you're not a billionaire, what makes you think the Republican's taking congress will be a good thing? Aren't these the people who wrecked our country last decade? We still haven't finished cleaning up their mess.[/quote]...ever since Obama and the Democrats took control of the presidency, the Senate, and the House, government spending has skyrocketed, the economy continues to tank, nearly a 10% unemployment rate, home foreclosures are expected to get worse, and you believe the Democrats are a good thing? You haven't been cleaning up a mess, the Democrats have been making a bigger mess. We see the change, where's the hope?

"Inside every Liberal there's a Totalitarian screaming to get out"

[Image: freddy_03.jpg]

Quote: JohnDG...
Quote:It was an awful mistake to characterize based upon religion. I should not judge any theist that way, I must remember what I said in order to change.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2024 GOP hopeful Vivek Ramaswamy proposes raising voting age to 25 LinuxGal 11 1026 August 20, 2023 at 2:39 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Compulsory Voting BrianSoddingBoru4 132 10058 December 28, 2022 at 11:23 am
Last Post: Fireball
  What you think of USA voting system? Woah0 10 936 August 17, 2022 at 12:19 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Attack on voting Spongebob 103 6804 August 18, 2021 at 12:18 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
  The electors are voting right now. Gawdzilla Sama 18 1124 December 15, 2020 at 1:12 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Help me out here. Barrett and voting case. Brian37 31 3573 October 30, 2020 at 11:47 am
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Mail in voting/ and election day. Brian37 6 803 October 25, 2020 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Protest Voting BrianSoddingBoru4 42 1722 October 17, 2020 at 2:53 pm
Last Post: Draconic Aiur
  The new voting block onlinebiker 2 341 February 19, 2020 at 8:11 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Voting living in no man's land. Brian37 4 618 November 5, 2019 at 12:11 pm
Last Post: Aegon