Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 1:43 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Science Saved My Soul
Science Saved My Soul
Great video. If you have a spare 15 mins, watch it all the way through Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6w2M50_Xdk
RE: Science Saved My Soul
Posted on The Richard Dawkins Foundation for Reason and Science facebook earlier yes? Watched it then. Such a good video.
Adrian, thanks for sharing that video I really enjoyed it. I love the study of science especially astronomy and biology, it's simply amazing how much we have advanced in our knowledge, no thanks to religion.
There is nothing people will not maintain when they are slaves to superstition

http://chatpilot-godisamyth.blogspot.com/

I have (on occasion) spoken about the vastness of our galaxy and had the religious run screaming away saying "It's all too much information! It's all to big! I can't get my head around it!!" words to that effect....

He is right though, in comparing the religious to small minded fools who desperately need to feel special.

Could it be said that atheists are more humane than theists??

Great video Adrian...thanks for sharing/postingClap
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
All of Philhellenes videos are sublime, he has by far one of the best YT atheist channels out there. I highly recommend subbing him of you haven't done so.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
Man, that video is awesome! Thanks Adrian Smile
And the religious wonder why we won't accept their petty little gods and their tiny, little world views.

Science and the wonderous Universe it reveals is alway, ALWAYS going to far more awe inspiring

than their petty, spiteful, bullying gods will ever be.

Thanks for that Adrian, I enjoyed it heaps.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
So, these are the kind of stuff that atheists find so emotionally captivating ...

But science only works at the level of empirical senses, thus neglecting the subjective aspects towards knowing reality, and it can never touch on the realm of morality and purpose and the ultimate truth. I do believe that science does a much better job at explaining the universe than religion, but at the same time, religion cannot be totally ignored because it deals with many of the metaphysical questions of life that we are not able to perceive through scientific investigation alone. We cannot know about these things even through logical thinking. So, to set up a comparison between the belief in God and the belief in science, as if the two are incompatible, is simply not a right thing to do in my opinion. Smile
(November 3, 2010 at 5:30 pm)Tiberius Wrote: Great video. If you have a spare 15 mins, watch it all the way through Smile

I love Philhelenes' videos.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
(November 4, 2010 at 10:45 am)Rayaan Wrote: So, these are the kind of stuff that atheists find so emotionally captivating ...

But science only works at the level of empirical senses, thus neglecting the subjective aspects towards knowing reality, and it can never touch on the realm of morality and purpose and the ultimate truth.

Science isn't the only thing that captivates us, that's knowledge in general, as well as all of the same subjective experiences everyone else enjoys.

Oh, and as far as 'ultimate truth' goes there isn't a single being who has ever lived who has known anything close to that - You're plainly deluded if you think Muhammad had this 'secret truth' and you have absolutely no good reason for believing he did, other than 'faith'.

Faith is an excuse for believing something without justification.

Quote: I do believe that science does a much better job at explaining the universe than religion, but at the same time, religion cannot be totally ignored because it deals with many of the metaphysical questions of life that we are not able to perceive through scientific investigation alone.

It claims metaphysical knowledge, but Philosophy fucking trumps that ignorant bullshit. If you want reality, go do some science, if you want metaphysics, go talk to a philosopher, if you want a delusion and a safety blanket go find a Theist.

Quote: We cannot know about these things even through logical thinking. So, to set up a comparison between the belief in God and the belief in science, as if the two are incompatible, is simply not a right thing to do in my opinion. Smile

It's perfectly legitimate, one is demonstrably true, the other is complete and utter bullshit sold to the masses.

Also, precluding any intelligent thought on the subject is typical, you're essentially making excuses for your beliefs because you know they are completely unjustified, thus you immediately try and take them out of the realm of logic and reason, because once we start digging into the claims it's just another book of myths from the ancient world.

See Muhammad and the flying unicorn! What more reason to think this could all be made up do you need?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Shelley Segal - Saved Gooders1002 1 900 November 16, 2012 at 12:22 pm
Last Post: festive1