Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 11:42 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why you should distrust all religions.
Why you should distrust all religions.
Just listen to the first 30 minutes:

The whole course is here:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...68C90DDC3D

I listened to all 25 episodes (while at my office), and it was fantastic!
RE: Why you should distrust all religions.
With my attention spa
(January 6, 2018 at 2:36 pm)Jehanne Wrote: Just listen to the first 30 minutes:

Can you give us a quick re-cap ?
'Those who ask a lot of questions may seem stupid, but those who don't ask questions stay stupid'
I enjoyed after the 28min mark more.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I've seen a couple of these lectures. They are good.
(January 6, 2018 at 7:33 pm)possibletarian Wrote:
(January 6, 2018 at 2:36 pm)Jehanne Wrote: Just listen to the first 30 minutes:

Can you give us a quick re-cap ?

If anyone. past or present, claims to have had a divine experience, they are almost certainly mentally ill.
Or they've found a really great scotch.
(January 7, 2018 at 12:12 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Or they've found a really great scotch.

True, or just lying, perhaps for attention or money, or both.  But, mental illness would explain why (a few) of the so-called disciples died "for their faith".  Remember, thousands of early Christians were martyred for their faith, but just as many also recanted.
(January 7, 2018 at 12:31 pm)Jehanne Wrote:
(January 7, 2018 at 12:12 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Or they've found a really great scotch.

True, or just lying, perhaps for attention or money, or both.  But, mental illness would explain why (a few) of the so-called disciples died "for their faith".  Remember, thousands of early Christians were martyred for their faith, but just as many also recanted.

Forty year old Macallan is a better option.
I don’t see how the title of the thread, relates to the video. Certainly it doesn’t seem to follow from the video that people who have had a religious experience are mentally ill.
It is said that an argument is what convinces reasonable men and a proof is what it takes to convince even an unreasonable man.  - Alexander Vilenkin
If I am shown my error, I will be the first to throw my books into the fire.  - Martin Luther

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation Why Atheism is Incoherent & You Aren't as Smart as You Think You Are Seax 60 4911 March 19, 2021 at 9:43 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Why you all need others, to believe? LastPoet 24 3826 December 26, 2019 at 10:09 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Smile Interesting correlation between God and light in major world religions... Ajay0 17 1852 May 24, 2019 at 4:10 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  To all religions/What makes you think...... Brian37 22 2781 February 26, 2019 at 8:46 am
Last Post: no one
  Religions Role in Social Movements, Essential or Accidental? Neo-Scholastic 17 3487 October 4, 2018 at 3:58 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Are all religions cults? Aroura 88 11138 September 30, 2018 at 1:41 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Why do some believers claim that all religions are just as good? Der/die AtheistIn 22 3737 June 25, 2018 at 12:10 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  Why do the Abrahamic religions hate the female body so much? Rhondazvous 84 10877 June 18, 2018 at 1:00 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Should Governments regulate fraudulent religions? Greatest I am 37 12866 March 23, 2018 at 12:52 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  How I view all the world's religions. Brian37 0 602 March 22, 2018 at 4:19 pm
Last Post: Brian37