Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 4:36 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Evenin' all
Evenin' all
Newbie here. No, I'm not an atheist, I'm an orthodox Jew. However, I'm also (which is what brought me to this site) a scientist. I don't have anything particularly against atheists, except maybe the more 'militant types', but I do often find it strange that a growing number of atheists claim to place their "faith" in rationality and science, and then display an ignorance of scientific facts and method, or knowledge of common myths. I'm sure many atheists here familiar with the life sciences also cringe when they hear someone vehemently arguing that humans evolved from apes, rather than from a common ancestor!
So mainly, I'm just here to help out, given my passion for the sciences.

Nice to be aboard.
RE: Evenin' all
(January 13, 2018 at 1:54 pm)Jollocks Wrote: Newbie here. No, I'm not an atheist, I'm an orthodox Jew. However, I'm also (which is what brought me to this site) a scientist. I don't have anything particularly against atheists, except maybe the more 'militant types', but I do often find it strange that a growing number of atheists claim to place their "faith" in rationality and science, and then display an ignorance of scientific facts and method, or knowledge of common myths. I'm sure many atheists here familiar with the life sciences also cringe when they hear someone vehemently arguing that humans evolved from apes, rather than from a common ancestor!

Nice to be aboard.

I grab you by the Jollocks and shake them in welcome.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

That sounds a lot friendlier than I expetcted!
Thanks Wink
Jollocks, do you believe in hell in any form? If yes, you do know that It cannot be proven?
(January 13, 2018 at 1:54 pm)Jollocks Wrote: Newbie here. No, I'm not an atheist, I'm an orthodox Jew. However, I'm also (which is what brought me to this site) a scientist. I don't have anything particularly against atheists, except maybe the more 'militant types', but I do often find it strange that a growing number of atheists claim to place their "faith" in rationality and science, and then display an ignorance of scientific facts and method, or knowledge of common myths. I'm sure many atheists here familiar with the life sciences also cringe when they hear someone vehemently arguing that humans evolved from apes, rather than from a common ancestor!

Nice to be aboard.

Welcome. do not forget to change your password.

I am the gang leader of a zionist conspiracy againt them nazis.And I am an atheist. Your god is a fantasy Big Grin
Well, I would argue that a belief by definition doesn't require proof, and whether proof is needed and perhaps parameters set for what constitutes "proof" or "evidence", can be arbitrary when arguing over something which in itself is subjective, means the concept of proving existence of hell becomes quite pointless. After all, I can only measure in investigate the natural phenomena which I can observe. Outside of that, there doesn't seem to be much point in even seeking objective evidence in either way (after all, I couldn't prove non-existence, either).
At any rate, something like that, although most likely vastly different from the commonly accepted Christian-centric view of hell.

(January 13, 2018 at 2:39 pm)LastPoet Wrote:

Nice to be aboard.

Welcome. do not forget to change your password.

I am the gang leader of a zionist conspiracy againt them nazis.And I am an atheist. Your god is a fantasy Big Grin

A Zionist eh? I fear we may lock horns on political discussions at some point.
Mind if I ask what type of Zionist?

Nice to be aboard.

Welcome. The "militant" version of any position is usually objectionable. 

The only people I have come across that even suggest the crank notion that humans evolved from apes are crank fundamentalist christians, so I don't know where that idea arises.
(January 13, 2018 at 2:50 pm)Abaddon_ire Wrote:

Nice to be aboard.

Welcome. The "militant" version of any position is usually objectionable. 

The only people I have come across that even suggest the crank notion that humans evolved from apes are crank fundamentalist christians, so I don't know where that idea arises.

Then forgive me, I couldn't think of any better adjective at the time.

As for the idea of evolving from apes, well... I spend a lot of time on political debate groups. And yes, I know they're one of the worst places for debate (unless you enjoy talking about Muslims, Trump, and Brexit all day long). But the idea persists, I think mainly because in the UK there's little of any comprehensive education of evolutionary processes in schools.
Welcome to the forum!
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
Cheers Wink

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hi all - new here is all.... val5662 15 2142 March 18, 2017 at 6:04 pm
Last Post: TheoneandonlytrueGod