Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 8:43 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sound and Video Footage of 1929 NYC
Sound and Video Footage of 1929 NYC
Found this to be pretty interesting. Sound and video footage of 1929 NYC. 1929 was also the year of the Stock Market crash which led the U.S. into the Great Depression of the 1930s. I don't know if this video was filmed after the crash but it seems to be cold weather and there's a part in the video where people are moving furniture and belongings out of a tenant flat. Maybe someone being evicted from their home? This was two years after the first motion picture talkie, Al Jolson's, "The Jazz Singer", (1927).

"Inside every Liberal there's a Totalitarian screaming to get out"

[Image: freddy_03.jpg]

Quote: JohnDG...
Quote:It was an awful mistake to characterize based upon religion. I should not judge any theist that way, I must remember what I said in order to change.
RE: Sound and Video Footage of 1929 NYC
Interesting.

Go watch a Trip Down Market Street (1906)
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(January 28, 2018 at 9:46 am)A Theist Wrote: Found this to be pretty interesting. Sound and video footage of 1929 NYC. 1929 was also the year of the Stock Market crash which led the U.S. into the Great Depression of the 1930s. I don't know if this video was filmed after the crash but it seems to be cold weather and there's a part in the video where people are moving furniture and belongings out of a tenant flat. Maybe someone being evicted from their home? This was two years after the first motion picture talkie, Al Jolson's, "The Jazz Singer", (1927).

I suspect at that point, the transition from silents to talkies was all but complete. Also, it turns out that at least part of it (see 3:54) was shot before the crash, since the visit by British PM Ramsay MacDonald happened on October 4, 1929, mere weeks before the crash. It's possible that parts were shot later, but it would appear that even by the year's end, the Great Depression wasn't quite as bad as it would be in 1930. Even if it was shot after, it would still likely be pre-disaster.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
(January 28, 2018 at 11:05 am)vorlon13 Wrote: Interesting.

Go watch a Trip Down Market Street (1906)

Awesome!

Quote:It was an awful mistake to characterize based upon religion. I should not judge any theist that way, I must remember what I said in order to change.
Jeez, there were no rules of the road back then were there? Tongue
Film made just days before 1906 earthquake devastated the city.

It's really touching watching those folks unaware of what was impending.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(January 28, 2018 at 2:36 pm)Tiberius Wrote: Jeez, there were no rules of the road back then were there? Tongue
No kidding! I can't believe those people were driving on the left side of the road! Smile

It's the same cars all the way along. I think the film crew gave a heads up to all the car owners in Frisco if they wanted to be in the movie.

60 Minutes did a segment on it several years back. Ascertaining a filming date was tricky, the film itself wasn't dated. They went by some business names/locations, car license plates, and even near the end the wet pavement corresponded with a recorded rain shower just days before the quake.

(January 28, 2018 at 2:36 pm)Tiberius Wrote: Jeez, there were no rules of the road back then were there? Tongue

It would appear the automobile was just a novelty at that point and people didn't grasp the full responsibility that comes from pushing a 1200 lb vehicle at speeds their grandparents' generation couldn't even imagine, something that would eventually turn out to be a damn effective killing machine for someone who wanted to put their minds to the task. The term jaywalking only came into being mere months prior, and it had yet to even be made illegal.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at...jaywalking

https://www.salon.com/2015/08/20/the_sec...t_the_ban/
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.