Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 10:33 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone here know London or Berlin?
Anyone here know London or Berlin?
I'm studying abroad in Europe right now, and I have a couple of long weekends coming up, so I booked cheap flights to Berlin and London. Never been to either city before Smile

Has anyone here been to either of these cities and want to share any suggestions of cool places to go or things to see and eat? I have about 5-6 days in each city. I'm going to Berlin because I'm very interested in its history, and London because it's so famous, because I've never been to the UK before, and because my flight was only $50 Tongue
RE: Anyone here know London or Berlin?
I used to live in London. Everything is worth seeing. If you are there for 5-6 days buy a week travelcard (you can get them at most underground stations). It gives you unlimited travel on the underground, London overground, buses, etc. Its pretty cheap considering, and well worth the money.

If you have a phone, download citymapper, it will tell you how to get anywhere, which underground stations to use, etc.
I've been to London several times. The last few times were to the BBC for the recordings of shows like QI, Two Pints Of Lager and Would I Lie To You. The QI trip, I remember, we saw Dustin Hoffman in his raincoat, looking just like Columbo, between scenes of Last Chance Harvey.

The only other times I've been there were political; delivering a petition to Parliament, and being in both Poll Tax marches - yes, I was almost caught up in the famous riot, but our lot were smart enough to turn into tourists immediately prior. I remember everything being really expensive, but then again Thatcher's 80s.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(February 1, 2018 at 2:02 pm)Tiberius Wrote: I used to live in London. Everything is worth seeing. If you are there for 5-6 days buy a week travelcard (you can get them at most underground stations). It gives you unlimited travel on the underground, London overground, buses, etc. Its pretty cheap considering, and well worth the money.

Yeah, transit in London looks pretty expensive, so that's probably a good call to get a pass. Do you know if there multiple transit companies, or would the card work on all the buses and trains?

(February 1, 2018 at 3:34 pm)Cyberman Wrote: I've been to London several times. The last few times were to the BBC for the recordings of shows like QI, Two Pints Of Lager and Would I Lie To You. The QI trip, I remember, we saw Dustin Hoffman in his raincoat, looking just like Columbo, between scenes of Last Chance Harvey.

The only other times I've been there were political; delivering a petition to Parliament, and being in both Poll Tax marches - yes, I was almost caught up in the famous riot, but our lot were smart enough to turn into tourists immediately prior. I remember everything being really expensive, but then again Thatcher's 80s.

The BBC is a place? I just use their website to read the news and watch documentaries. Never thought of it as somewhere you could go.

And looks like we've got a rebel here - probably shouldn't follow your advice or I'll end up in an anarchist riot Tongue
London is a good choice, I have been there many times and there is a lot to see, and many museums are for free .... it's really cool! I like London 😉
I was in Berlin once and it was ... hmmm how was it? it was worse than in London hehe  Big Grin 
and when are you going to London? I also go there  Tongue 
Btw, what are you studying and where, if I can ask, of course?
"Alone is what I have. Alone protects me." 
“I may be on the side of the angels but don’t think for one second that I am one of them.”
“The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existence. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery each day."
Last time I was there, for some work reason I literally just remembered, I was told that you can use a credit card on (I think) all bus and tube journeys as if it's a travel pass, up to a certain maximum fare after which you're no longer charged. Something like that, though you'd best check for details.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(February 1, 2018 at 3:42 pm)shadow Wrote: The BBC is a place? I just use their website to read the news and watch documentaries. Never thought of it as somewhere you could go.

It's a working TV studio (or studios, plural, for different functions). The iconic Television Centre that we went to is sadly no more, though I'm not sure if the building itself is still there. It'd be a crime if it's been demolished, in my opinion, given its place in history.

(February 1, 2018 at 3:42 pm)shadow Wrote: And looks like we've got a rebel here - probably shouldn't follow your advice or I'll end up in an anarchist riot Tongue

Oh yeah, you can only go wrong with me. Wink
(February 1, 2018 at 3:54 pm)Cyberman Wrote: Last time I was there, for some work reason I literally just remembered, I was told that you can use a credit card on (I think) all bus and tube journeys as if it's a travel pass, up to a certain maximum fare after which you're no longer charged. Something like that, though you'd best check for details.

Yeah, I've just been researching how to get from the airport to my hostel, and there's a train (Greater Anglia). In Vancouver, my home, the trains and buses are part of the same system, so you pay the same fares on the same card. So I'm just wondering if I might need to arrange a train trip separately, or if I could just pay for it with the tube/bus card.
(February 1, 2018 at 3:54 pm)Cyberman Wrote: Last time I was there, for some work reason I literally just remembered, I was told that you can use a credit card on (I think) all bus and tube journeys as if it's a travel pass, up to a certain maximum fare after which you're no longer charged. Something like that, though you'd best check for details.

It's not exactly like that. There are certain bank cards, that work as travel-cards, but I doubt anyone coming from abroad would have one of those. However, anyone can buy an Oyster card from a ticket vending machine at most train and tube station, then top it up (at the same machine, or online) and use that credit to pay for almost all public transport in London. Once the cost of your journeys in a day reaches the cost of a daily travel-card for the zones you've been traveling within - the rest of your travel that day - within those zones - is free. 

You can also use the Oyster card as a weekly travel-card.
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
(February 1, 2018 at 3:42 pm)shadow Wrote:
(February 1, 2018 at 2:02 pm)Tiberius Wrote: I used to live in London. Everything is worth seeing. If you are there for 5-6 days buy a week travelcard (you can get them at most underground stations). It gives you unlimited travel on the underground, London overground, buses, etc. Its pretty cheap considering, and well worth the money.

Yeah, transit in London looks pretty expensive, so that's probably a good call to get a pass. Do you know if there multiple transit companies, or would the card work on all the buses and trains?

It's mostly controlled by Transport for London. https://tfl.gov.uk/

I believe for the week pass you will need to buy an Oyster card, which you can do from a number of places. I would ask when you land. With the Oyster card, you can load the week pass onto it, and then just "scan" the oyster card when you use transport. Here's a useful video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukFo6BwI3FY

It should work for the underground (though only in certain zones), buses and London overground. Zones 1+2 are where most things are. You should check which zone your hotel is in though.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do you know today that you didn't know yesterday? BrianSoddingBoru4 3668 198619 Yesterday at 12:11 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  What did you know yesterday that you don't know today? Gawdzilla Sama 14 1086 December 4, 2023 at 9:43 am
Last Post: brewer
  Anyone here trade the financial markets ? Bucky Ball 15 846 August 22, 2023 at 7:00 am
Last Post: paulpablo
  Anyone know anything about smoke detectors? Brian37 37 2082 November 8, 2021 at 4:10 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Anyone here try reddit? Atomic Lava 8 1001 November 15, 2019 at 8:12 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  COKE HERE, GET YOUR COKE HERE.... Brian37 7 980 March 3, 2019 at 8:16 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Let me know how much I've upset you or you don't want me here. Foxaèr 34 5952 April 28, 2018 at 5:23 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  I know something you don't know... Jackalope 98 17369 April 22, 2018 at 9:00 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Am off to Berlin in September GUBU 28 4425 August 5, 2017 at 7:45 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Real world example of "I don't even know what I don't even know" ErGingerbreadMandude 24 3917 January 25, 2017 at 12:34 pm
Last Post: KUSA