Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 11:33 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why are believers still afraid of death?
Why are believers still afraid of death?
If they think there is an afterlife then why do they fear death? In the case of christians, many of them believe in Hell, so this might explain it. But why do they still cry if a loved one dies who respected all the christian rules in their lifetime?
"By simple common sense I don't believe in God, in none"

Charlie Chaplin
RE: Why are believers still afraid of death?
(February 9, 2018 at 8:33 am)Die Atheistin Wrote: If they think there is an afterlife then why do they fear death? In the case of christians, many of them believe in Hell, so this might explain it. But why do they still cry if a loved one dies who respected all the christian rules in their lifetime?

In answer to the first question: Because it's human to fear the idea of dying regardless of one's religious convictions.

In answer to the second question: For the same/similar reason one cries when a loved one goes overseas to live in a country far, far away.
Not following all 600+ Laws in Leviticus otta give most of 'em cause for concern . . . .

If'n they REALLY believed in Jebus, comporting themselves accordingly should be a piece of cake.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(February 9, 2018 at 8:33 am)Die Atheistin Wrote: If they think there is an afterlife then why do they fear death? In the case of christians, many of them believe in Hell, so this might explain it. But why do they still cry if a loved one dies who respected all the christian rules in their lifetime?

I think that change is difficult and often emotional.  You may find a similar reaction to a loved one who is moving away, and that you likely won't see them again or for a long while.  I've seen mothers cry when their child goes off to school for the first time, or then when moving out for college.  It's still a loss in the immediate sense.  So I wouldn't equate crying with fear.

As you had mentioned, Christians do have something to fear in the judgment.  There is also hope here.  But it seems to me, that your question can also be flipped around.   Apart from the emotional toll of change and an immediate loss.   Why do atheist cry at funerals?  If life is meaningless and there is nothing afterwords, then what does the non-believer have to fear (apart from the change and immediate loss I already mentioned)?

Also, I feel obliged to note, that I don't think that Christianity is about following the rules or checking off more boxes in one column over another.  There's only one box that needs to be checked (Are you His?)
It is said that an argument is what convinces reasonable men and a proof is what it takes to convince even an unreasonable man.  - Alexander Vilenkin
If I am shown my error, I will be the first to throw my books into the fire.  - Martin Luther
(February 9, 2018 at 8:52 am)RoadRunner79 Wrote: Why do atheist cry at funerals?  If life is meaningless and there is nothing afterwords, then what does the non-believer have to fear (apart from the change and immediate loss I already mentioned)?

Speaking for myself, I don't cry at funerals for people I have no emotional attachment to. I will cry, however, for someone whom I did have love and affection for. It's nothing to do with fear, but rather with the prospect that I will never get to enjoy bonding with them ever again.

And why exclude change and immediate loss as if they couldn't be the totality of reasons for why some atheists cry at funerals for loved ones?
(February 9, 2018 at 8:52 am)RoadRunner79 Wrote: I think that change is difficult and often emotional.  You may find a similar reaction to a loved one who is moving away, and that you likely won't see them again or for a long while.  I've seen mothers cry when their child goes off to school for the first time, or then when moving out for college.  It's still a loss in the immediate sense.  So I wouldn't equate crying with fear.

As you had mentioned, Christians do have something to fear in the judgment.  There is also hope here.  But it seems to me, that your question can also be flipped around.   Apart from the emotional toll of change and an immediate loss.   Why do atheist cry at funerals?  If life is meaningless and there is nothing afterwords, then what does the non-believer have to fear (apart from the change and immediate loss I already mentioned)?

Also, I feel obliged to note, that I don't think that Christianity is about following the rules or checking off more boxes in one column over another.  There's only one box that needs to be checked (Are you His?)

Atheist don't neceserally think life is meaningless just because there is no God. Nihilism is the philosophy that there is no objective meaning to the world, but it doesn't mean there isn't any subjective, many atheists are nihilists. Because atheists don't believe in an afterlife, many of them try to live this life at it's fullest. They too have loved ones, and if someone dear dies and you don't believe in an afterlife, it means you won't believe you'll meet them again.

Also, there tons of christian denominations, it's impossible not to fit in one of the many boxes if you're christian.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in God, in none"

Charlie Chaplin
(February 9, 2018 at 8:57 am)Grandizer Wrote:
(February 9, 2018 at 8:52 am)RoadRunner79 Wrote: Why do atheist cry at funerals?  If life is meaningless and there is nothing afterwords, then what does the non-believer have to fear (apart from the change and immediate loss I already mentioned)?

Speaking for myself, I don't cry at funerals for people I have no emotional attachment to. I will cry, however, for someone whom I did have love and affection for. It's nothing to do with fear, but rather with the prospect that I will never get to enjoy bonding with them ever again.

And why exclude change and immediate loss as if they couldn't be the totality of reasons for why some atheists cry at funerals for loved ones?

We posted at the same time earlier.   I don't think that we are that far apart on this.  

Also you may note, that I didn't exclude these reasons (see part in parenthesis above).  I was just flipping it around, to get the OP to think through it more.
It is said that an argument is what convinces reasonable men and a proof is what it takes to convince even an unreasonable man.  - Alexander Vilenkin
If I am shown my error, I will be the first to throw my books into the fire.  - Martin Luther
Because fear of death is instinctive.

Because we miss the people we love when they pass away.

Hey, look at that, Christians are human beings too!!!!!
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh

Cuz they realize they are going to burn on high heat setting in hell forever for claiming there are no atheists in foxholes.
"They're no longer suffering" I can take (depending on circumstances), but "they're now in a better place" just drives me up the wall.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Even if theism is a failure, it's still superior to atheism R00tKiT 491 33602 December 25, 2022 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Questions about the European renaissance and religion to non believers Quill01 6 639 January 31, 2021 at 7:16 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Information How to discuss religion with believers? Scientia 161 15264 February 20, 2019 at 1:54 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Are religious people really afraid of death? Alexmahone 36 4856 July 3, 2018 at 12:50 pm
Last Post: purplepurpose
  You can be an immorale person and still promote christianity Kimba 12 1762 June 30, 2018 at 8:42 am
Last Post: The Industrial Atheist
  Why do some believers claim that all religions are just as good? Der/die AtheistIn 22 3693 June 25, 2018 at 12:10 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  This Will Cause Believers To Lose Their Shit Minimalist 36 8474 March 30, 2018 at 11:14 am
Last Post: sdelsolray
  Why are some moderate religious afraid of atheism? Der/die AtheistIn 38 5158 February 26, 2018 at 8:45 am
Last Post: Cod
  Why do some moderates get so attached to other believers? Der/die AtheistIn 4 1246 December 19, 2017 at 9:28 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  A Thought Experiment for Believers and Atheists Alike chimp3 39 8498 October 11, 2017 at 3:25 am
Last Post: Ivan Denisovich