Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 4:37 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Religious tolerance in British crown dependencies and British overseas territories
Religious tolerance in British crown dependencies and British overseas territories
Hello ! I'm a French and I heard that generally people don't care if you're a believer or not if you live in England , Northen Ireland (IN MY KNOWLEDGE IN THIS CONSTITUTIVE NATION OF UK WE MUST AVOID TO ASK IF THE PERSON IS CATHOLIC OR PROTESTANT) , Scotland or Wales.

Of course , that depend of zones but generally in continental UK Atheists are tolerated by the population if I'm not saying bullocks.

But I'd like to know how Atheists are generally considered by the major part of the population in Bristish crown dependencies and BOT.

Full list of British crown dependencies (NAMES GIVEN BY ALPHABETICAL ORDER IN THEIRS ENGLISH NAMES) :

NOTE : You can use Wikipedia to know more about these areas.

1.Bailiwick of Jersey

2.Bailiwick of Guernsey

3.Isle of Man

Full list of UK overseas territories (NAMES GIVEN BY ALPHABETICAL ORDER IN THEIRS ENGLISH NAMES) :

NOTE : Some of these places are claimed by others states than United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. This list doesn't means that I support any claim by UK or another state.
You can use Wikipedia to know more about these areas.

1.Anguilla

2.Bermuda

3.British Antarctic Territory
NOTE : This place is not permanently inhabited by theirs inhabitants.

4.British Indian Ocean Territory
NOTE : Only UK , US military personnel and associated contractors live there.

5.British Virgin Islands

6.Cayman Islands

7.Falkland Islands

8.Gibraltar

9.Montserrat

10.Pitcairn, Henderson, Ducie and Oeno Islands

11.Saint Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha

12.South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands
NOTE : Inhabited only by officials and researchers.

13.Sovereign Base Areas of Akrotiri and Dhekelia
NOTE : There are two military bases.

14.Turks and Caicos Islands
RE: Religious tolerance in British crown dependencies and British overseas territories
Can't speak to the others on your list, but my personal experience is that people in Northern Ireland care deeply, sincerely, passionately and aggressively about the religious beliefs of strangers.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
RE: Religious tolerance in British crown dependencies and British overseas territories
Not to mention explosively.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(February 11, 2018 at 4:40 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Can't speak to the others on your list, but my personal experience is that people in Northern Ireland care deeply, sincerely, passionately and aggressively about the religious beliefs of strangers.

Boru

Thanks for sharing it.
Can you tell us stories about your personal experience ?

(February 11, 2018 at 8:06 pm)Cyberman Wrote: Not to mention explosively.

I'm ready to listen you telling to us your personal experience.
Northern Ireland needs more Mormons . . . .
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(February 14, 2018 at 3:12 pm)viocjit Wrote:

I'm ready to listen you telling to us your personal experience.

What personal experience would that be?
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(February 14, 2018 at 11:19 pm)Cyberman Wrote:
(February 14, 2018 at 3:12 pm)viocjit Wrote: I'm ready to listen you telling to us your personal experience.

What personal experience would that be?

You know what's your personal experience. I don't know.
Quote:Thanks for sharing it.

Sure.

1.  8 November 1987:  At the age of 17, I was caught in the Remembrance Day Bombing.  I lost my right eye, eight teeth, and a helluva lot of blood.

2.  24 March 1990:  I had a vintage motorcycle thoroughly trashed, rocks thrown the windows of my ground floor flat, and 'Papists Fuck Off' painted on my front door.

3.  August 1998: I had to purchase a house through a 'front', as the estate agency had been instructed not to sell to Taigs.

4.  10 July 2000:  Spent a week in jail for flattening a fuckwit who screamed (literally screamed), 'It's going to be a long cold winter for you little papist cunts' at a line of six and seven year old girls on their way into school.

Would you like me to go on?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(February 19, 2018 at 3:30 pm)viocjit Wrote:
(February 14, 2018 at 11:19 pm)Cyberman Wrote: What personal experience would that be?

You know what's your personal experience. I don't know.

No, you're telling me that I had a personal experience at all, instead of asking me if I have. I want to know what it is.
(February 19, 2018 at 7:49 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
Quote:Thanks for sharing it.

Sure.

1.  8 November 1987:  At the age of 17, I was caught in the Remembrance Day Bombing.  I lost my right eye, eight teeth, and a helluva lot of blood.

2.  24 March 1990:  I had a vintage motorcycle thoroughly trashed, rocks thrown the windows of my ground floor flat, and 'Papists Fuck Off' painted on my front door.

3.  August 1998: I had to purchase a house through a 'front', as the estate agency had been instructed not to sell to Taigs.

4.  10 July 2000:  Spent a week in jail for flattening a fuckwit who screamed (literally screamed), 'It's going to be a long cold winter for you little papist cunts' at a line of six and seven year old girls on their way into school.

Would you like me to go on?

Boru

You can continue to tell this kind of dramatic events of your life if you want.
I understood one thing. It does seem you had a shitty life because of a sectarian conflict.

(February 20, 2018 at 5:19 am)Cyberman Wrote:
(February 19, 2018 at 3:30 pm)viocjit Wrote: You know what's your personal experience. I don't know.

No, you're telling me that I had a personal experience at all, instead of asking me if I have. I want to know what it is.

You wrote the message below that made me thought you do have stories to tell about religious tolerance in Northern Ireland.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  British Non-Catholic Historian on Historical Longevity of the Roman Catholic Church. Nishant Xavier 36 1865 August 6, 2023 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Religious bumper stickers and other annoying religious actions. (rant, sorta) DIRTY_DEEDS_93 53 12772 May 25, 2015 at 4:13 pm
Last Post: Cephus
  Tolerance naimless 31 4665 February 7, 2013 at 1:25 am
Last Post: naimless
  "No secularism please, we're british" Emancipated 12 5177 February 20, 2012 at 2:37 pm
Last Post: MarkOfEnglandshire
  Support for Geert Wilders political party explodes after british expulsion. leo-rcc 9 5114 February 22, 2009 at 9:03 am
Last Post: bozo