Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 7:27 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some Wild Leaps Here By The Headline Writers
Some Wild Leaps Here By The Headline Writers
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/03...have-used/

Quote:A 2nd century 007? Archaeologists discover barracks that may have been used by ancient Rome's secret service

Quote:Italian archaeologists have found the remains of a barracks that they believe may have been used by ancient Rome's equivalent of the secret service.

Or, more likely, a cohort of the Praetorian Guard.

This line got me, though.

Quote:The complex included cavalry barracks, which now lie beneath the Basilica of St John Lateran, one of the capital’s largest churches.

I mean come on, guys.  This is scientific investigation.  Knock the fucking church down and excavate the cavalry barracks.  If you've seen one church, you've seen them all!
RE: Some Wild Leaps Here By The Headline Writers
Seriously? You want to demolish St. John Lateran? How very Taliban-y of you. 

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(March 8, 2018 at 12:16 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Seriously? You want to demolish St. John Lateran? How very Taliban-y of you. 

Boru

Not ALL of it.

Just the parts that are in the way.
Dying to live, living to die.
It's a fucking church.  There's a gazillion of them and they all the same shit.  How many Roman Cavalry Barracks are left in the world?
(March 8, 2018 at 12:39 pm)Minimalist Wrote: It's a fucking church.  There's a gazillion of them and they all the same shit.  How many Roman Cavalry Barracks are left in the world?

If this is the find I read about a couple of weeks back, from a completely different source, I think they described it as a Praetorian guard barracks.
Dying to live, living to die.
(March 8, 2018 at 12:39 pm)Minimalist Wrote: It's a fucking church.  There's a gazillion of them and they all the same shit.  How many Roman Cavalry Barracks are left in the world?

It's a fucking church that fucking dates from the fourth fucking century and is a World Fucking Heritage Site. 

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
The Cavalry Barracks predates it.  What's so special about one more fucking church?  Rome itself is littered with them, man.  Time to start turning them into internet cafes.
Ummmm, Praetorian guards !!!

So manly !!!
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(March 8, 2018 at 12:16 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Seriously? You want to demolish St. John Lateran? How very Taliban-y of you. 

Boru

It is gorgeous mind. It's just a pity about the stunts of the cunts who congregate in it.
It's amazing 'science' always seems to 'find' whatever it is funded for, and never the oppsite. Drich.
[Image: 1036-Lazio_Roma_SGiovanni2_tango7174.jpg]

Yes, let's by all means bulldoze this decrepit old eyesore so we can more easily get to...an army barracks.  I mean, if you've seen one church, you've seen 'em all, right?

Boru

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Some of the Younger People Here Need a History Lesson Minimalist 4 1072 May 19, 2016 at 12:13 pm
Last Post: Minimalist