Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 1:08 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Servers
Servers
It's quite useful to learn the difference, I spent lots of time rotating in the same spot once upon a time, so it's healthy to pour what I know.

I always thought once that a "server" is actually a physical, large computer. Though that is true to some extent; it is only half of the truth.
So, a "server" has two sides: the hardware (large or small) and the software.

You can have a "server" on your laptop or PC; the options are many for such software.

So a server is a "program" that requires certain "hardware requirements" that vary a lot. There is the "small" hardware; and there is the "big" hardware.

So when you read about networks and the discussion of servers, put that in mind.
This bit gave me long periods of not understanding the web. So I hope it's useful to you.
RE: Servers
If you have folders on your computer that are 'shared' with other computers, your computer is acting like a 'server' for those files.

A 'server' is a very, very general designation. You can put a 'web server' on your PC using, say, nginx or apache2. You won't get traffic unless you have a public IP address, but you can display pages for your home network.

There are 'file servers', 'ssh servers', 'mysql servers', etc, etc, etc. Any time your computer offers a service to another computer, it is a 'server'.
I always thought a 'server' was that cute girl who brings me my pastrami sandwich. 

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I managed a small datacenter once and had an old supermicro that would not make it past its POST unless you took a pencil and rotated one of the fans manually. Ahhhh, technology ..
A server is that which serves data upon request. It’s really not any more complicated than that.
Yep ^^^ what he said....nothing to do with hardware at all. In fact I had several webservers (apache) all running virtually.

Kev, is apache still a "thing" ... I've been out of the game for a while.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Virtual servers are still running on hardware.  It's just not a dedicated blade.  The difference between..say, a virtual server running on your pc and a dedicated server sitting in a farm somewhere, is that the dedicated servers board and components are purpose built to be a server....and so better at it than your pc.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Is this why I can never get my garlic bread sticks timely?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(March 31, 2018 at 3:52 am)ignoramus Wrote: Yep ^^^ what he said....nothing to do with hardware at all. In fact I had several webservers (apache) all running virtually.

Yeah, Apache2 is still a thing, but NGINX is very popular (mostly because it has better performance). I’m using NGINX myself on my VPS. I like its configuration syntax better (it’s almost YAML-like).
(March 30, 2018 at 9:33 am)polymath257 Wrote: If you have folders on your computer that are 'shared' with other computers, your computer is acting like a 'server' for those files.

A 'server' is a very, very general designation. You can put a 'web server' on your PC using, say, nginx or apache2. You won't get traffic unless you have a public IP address, but you can display pages for your home network.

There are 'file servers', 'ssh servers', 'mysql servers', etc, etc, etc. Any time your computer offers a service to another computer, it is a 'server'.

Knowing about "IIS" and "Apache" were a revelation to me; even though I used both extensively, and currently using an IIS server.
But non is dedicated I think; all packaged and executed as whole systems. Meaning is: IIS has its ssh capabilities, database capabilities...etc. At least that's how I understand it.

(March 30, 2018 at 9:51 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: I always thought a 'server' was that cute girl who brings me my pastrami sandwich. 

Boru

sexist !

(March 30, 2018 at 10:55 am)rskovride Wrote: I managed a small datacenter once and had an old supermicro that would not make it past its POST unless you took a pencil and rotated one of the fans manually.  Ahhhh, technology ..

First thing that came to my mind, is a post apocalypse shelter's main server !

(March 30, 2018 at 10:54 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: A server is that which serves data upon request.  It’s really not any more complicated than that.

In theory it might not be that complicated. But once things start to branch, and services become many,it becomes very confusing.

(March 31, 2018 at 3:52 am)ignoramus Wrote: Yep ^^^ what he said....nothing to do with hardware at all. In fact I had several webservers (apache) all running virtually.

No; the complication is from the software. Nothing on the hardware.

If I can come between you two; yes; it's still about 50% or more of the market?
Microsoft can rot for all I care.

(March 31, 2018 at 10:01 am)Khemikal Wrote: Virtual servers are still running on hardware.  It's just not a dedicated blade.  The difference between..say, a virtual server running on your pc and a dedicated server sitting in a farm somewhere, is that the dedicated servers board and components are purpose built to be a server....and so better at it than your pc.

Can you host a physical site using a virtual server if you bought a domain name?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  So I got bored today and bought a couple of used servers popeyespappy 10 1783 May 4, 2019 at 8:10 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Open DNS Servers Foxaèr 10 2053 May 8, 2014 at 2:16 pm
Last Post: Marsellus Wallace