Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 1:10 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Post your Favorite Short Stories
Post your Favorite Short Stories
Post your favorite short stories here (or better yet, a link, so the thread doesn't become unweildy Wink )

It could be an original. It could be a classic. It could be a rare gem that nobody's heard of... whatever!

You could give your opinion or tell us why you like the story, or you could just post the link. (If a link can't be found, just the title/author.)

Here's two classics to get us started:

"The Three Questions" by Leo Tolstoy

"The Hunger Artist" by Franz Kafka

(I can't vouch for the translations or youtube audio versions. But the stories themselves are great.)
RE: Post your Favorite Short Stories
Cant find a full text or audio book.

Lila The Werewolf.  Peter Beagle.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(March 31, 2018 at 2:25 pm)Khemikal Wrote: Cant find a full text or audio book.

Lila The Werewolf.  Peter Beagle.

http://podcastle.org/2012/05/22/podcastl...-werewolf/

Story starts at 3:35.

I'll give it a listen later on Smile
danke

-for context, Ursala Leguin read this story and suggested that somebody might want to check in on Pete...in case he was thinking of murdering someone.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
"Rescue Party" by Arthur C. Clarke. http://www.baen.com/Chapters/0743498747/...47___1.htm

"All You Zombies" by Robert Anson Heinlein (Summary) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_You_Zombies

"By His Bootstraps" by Robert Anson Heinlein (Summary) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/By_His_Bootstraps
My wife, vulcan...had never read that story- though she'd heard me extoll it's virtues before..........but she just listened all through (we both did)..the link you just dropped.  Thx.
I just heard this recently and am very fond of it... does it count?

Jefty Is Five by Harlan Ellison

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Just discovered this short story and am pissed I can't find a hardcover book that includes it. Here it is being read by the author's most famous student:

And a more famous story that profoundly influenced my own work:

Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
It's amazing 'science' always seems to 'find' whatever it is funded for, and never the oppsite. Drich.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What Your Favorite Religious Movie ? The Architect Of Fate 25 2475 November 24, 2022 at 1:44 pm
Last Post: Uberpod
  Your favorite Star Trek Universe Alien Foxaèr 27 1067 November 28, 2020 at 7:55 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Sticks: A Short Story - Satire Rhondazvous 2 440 May 12, 2020 at 9:14 am
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Your favorite fictional pub? Gawdzilla Sama 63 3378 May 7, 2020 at 7:38 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Your favorite October/Halloween re-watches Foxaèr 6 669 October 12, 2018 at 1:43 pm
  Post your favorite blues song. vulcanlogician 29 3423 March 27, 2018 at 6:25 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Favorite Scenes from Favorite Fiims chimp3 46 3481 February 10, 2018 at 6:36 am
Last Post: Athene
  What Is Your Favorite Music Album Of All Time? Edwardo Piet 30 3608 December 5, 2017 at 8:27 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Your favorite tv shows NOW vs. your favorite tv shows of all time Casca 14 1731 January 15, 2017 at 10:27 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Who are your favorite visual artists? (with pictures) DespondentFishdeathMasochismo 1 1519 December 4, 2015 at 7:32 pm